The Best mini Midi Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by on3simpleclick, Mar 20, 2014.

1. on3simpleclick

on3simpleclick Noisemaker

3. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

If you can, go to a store and have a play, personally I would go for a full size key, rather than the mini keys, what do you intend to do with it? Some of them you listed are just keys, and others have pads / control knobs. :dunno:

4. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

I touched once some of these keyboards in a store while i was waiting for a friend to pick me up, and as far as i remember i played the Korg one, MPK mini and Icon Ikey and i realised that the Korg's keys felt noticeably better than the other two. Now is up to you, as Sausage said, to have a play personally.

5. luizcifer

luizcifer Ultrasonic

i would give Novation Impulse 25 a try
    Keys feel good and the Pads are great...

just my two cents :bleh:

6. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

As far as i know, Impulse 25 have full sized keys, not mini, but if he meant about the number of keys rather than their size, then Novation Impulse 25 is a good option too. :wink:

7. luizcifer

luizcifer Ultrasonic

stupid me :rofl:

just missed the word M I N I...

sorry about that :wow:

8. on3simpleclick

yeah i really have to get to a store, thanks everyone! and yes, full size keys if possible.
    i'm more looking for just a straight keyboard with minimal pads and knobs. so many to pick from :sad:

9. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

No problem, because you was actually right, at last when he told us he wants Full Sized keys. :mates:

10. TwistedCycles

TwistedCycles Member

To run midi and pocket keyboard, without need to play like you play piano with complex chords and so on.. i think mini keyboard is really convenient.
    i had a Nano Key 2 but that was too plastic and it was exactly the same as the computer keyboard for me. i sold it.

Then i found a second hand QuNexus from Keith Mc Millen and the feel was great.(rubber keys)
    In addition you get expressivity when you rock your fingers and you can associate to any parameters of your daw (cut off, pitch bend etc...), pitch bend button (not accurate, the cons of the keyboard in my opinion), octave changes, you have too the midi light feedback which is a bit "bling bling" but comfortable for poor musicans...like me.

You get too CV in/out, Gate CV , pedals interface.

It's really complete mini keyboard, strongly built but expensive (around 100 Euros from second hand, 160 Euros brand new).

If you want to have a look on it, it's there

Saw it too late, sorry, please consider my answer for "mini" only.

PS: One mini, One full key, i like this way

11. awake

awake Member

12. LordFunky

LordFunky Ultrasonic

Keth McMillen Qunexus
    It seems incredible. Look at the video.

I have the Quneo and i think i will buy the Qunexus soon !!

13. on3simpleclick

thanks everyone, i check them all out :)

14. moocha

moocha Newbie

action a little tite but good velocity sensitivity

Attached Files:

15. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

My first one was a Roland PC 200 MK II, which I bought about 11 years ago on ebay
    just to not use my crappy mouse anymore when manually recording the movement of a controller.
    (Automation was a language I didn't speak at this time;))

[​IMG]

And my new "analog" keyboard is this one:

[​IMG]

Its Midi-function isn't that well ;) but it sounds as original and woody as no virtual keybopard can replicate.
    Got it as a gift (yes, for free - yehaa) for helping carry furniture.

Greetings, r4e

16. Gnib

Gnib Producer

Keith MCmillen K-Board USB-keyboard

17. MrRobRancor

MrRobRancor Ultrasonic

i have an axiom air 32 and it does the job. I also have a m-audio keystation 49 for my "piano"

18. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Just ordered my second Korg microKEY 37 from Musician's Friend for $39 - down from $79 otherwise because it's been superseded by a new variation. The first died, after 2.5 years, from its only apparent flaw: the internal power circuit just suddenly quit. I like this keyboard for playing synth parts and bass lines (samples of bass instruments), and for "entering" MIDI notes which I'll tweak later. The touch is good for a non-weighted keyboard - unlike the unplayably springy keys of the M-Audio keyboards I've tried. The brevity of the three-octave range usually isn't amenable to keyswitched playing, however, but it rocks the M-Tron Pro quite well. The smaller-sized keys take some getting used to, and can make it hard for my long fingers to play fast phrases, but for what this keyboard is . . .

Previously, I'd owned the Akai LPK25, which was one octave shorter, but which was about the same width as my Macbook, and was thereby as portable as playable.

19. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

If you want small keys, I can recommend the Korg MicroSampler or the MicroKorg.
    I also own the Novation MiniNova, but although it's a fantastic synth, its keybed is the worst quality I have ever seen. The keys are fixed with bending plastic, and the first key usually breaks after 3-5 months (see forums).
    What makes things worse is that at least Focusrite Europe won't cover the repair under warranty, although I'm quite sure they're legally obliged to. (Focusrite US might be better...)
    This is not my first case of trouble with Novation/Focusrite warranty, so I have started to avoid these products.

20. uploadfor

uploadfor Member

I have "M-AUDIO | Keystation Mini 32" - not sure it the best mini-keyboard... Mini - yes, simple - yes, comfortable - yes, inexpensive - yes, best - don't know... But it works pretty well :)

21. JST

JST Ultrasonic

I recommend the Korg microKEY. Especially if you can get it for $39. The new model, the Korg microKEY2 has a sustain pedal input if that is something you need. Which you do, if you want too play realistic piano. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/microKEY237 Definitely check out the Korg MicroKEY Air for wireless convenience http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/microKAIR25
    One of the sweet things about minis is that sevenths and extended chords are way easier to play. You get used to the mini keys rapidly. I replaced all my studio controllers with the 61 key model, and the 25 key model, and I want the 37 key one, just because I'm a neurotic collector, even more now, because of the sustain input. Oh shit, they have a 49 key version now. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/microKEY249 I must have it. The space savings, light weight, and portability is a beautiful thing. I do feel they are a little over-priced though. I got a full size 25 key controller just in case i missed full size keys, and I never use it. If you want full size keys though, I recommend http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Taktile25 There are so many great inexpensive controllers available now. It comes down to build quality and feel. I have bought, owned, and used dozens of different controllers over the years, and the only really shitty one was a Studio Logic SL990Pro, The action was great, but the build quality was shit, and the Customer Service was Atrocious. If you're unsure, stick too the big names, read the reviews, and ask the forum about specific models and/or brands. As always Caveat Emptor.