The Bad Penny turns up again : )

Discussion in 'Samplitude' started by filtersweep, Jun 10, 2016.

1. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

good day fellow samplitude explorers.
    i have a few vague and seemingly inconsequential questions.
    The problem i am having at the moment is that i am constantly clicking and opening menus i don't really want ( for example when clicking on the tracks panel, pop-menu, i would rather have it behave another way of my choosing?).. A big problem for me at rhe moment is that windows lose focus. Say i have to go to the timeline and try and zoom or whatever, i find that i need to click on the window first to bring it into focus. it seems i have to do this whenever i have gone over to my second monitor. it's one of hose workflow things that is enough to get me feeling a little bit bonkers. also that i get into situations where de-select seems to behave a bit weird so more wasted clicks there also ( in the main arranger timeline. maybe that is really a contextual matter, but i am going a bit nuts STILL at accidentally switching off or accidentally altering the region. again, i can see a method for user control, but is it possible that this could be a preference? so that the region gets kind of 'locked' until a specific shortcut or instruction is used?... i cannot find any info that explores this. which doesn't mean it's not possible, i just cannot find specific info. which, as one or two of you know is probably the No. 1 shortfall re: using Samplitude. any way, if anyone has any advice or help on these issues, i will be very grateful.. i hope this gibberish makes sense to somebody,
    laterzz

3. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

You can litteraly and completely configure every tiny details of what menu appears or not, when you click on something. In option configure shortcuts and manu and below in configuration you can also configure evry aspect of shortcuts and menu in the midi editor. For example what used to happen to me a lot was the following scenari : I'm working on one screen on the midi editor, I start to want to delete an object in the arrangement and select it on my second screen, but right there I go back to screen one and I ajust a velocity curve in the midi editor, I forget to reselect the arrangement windows, so even though I see the object is selected, since I havn't selected the arrangement window when I hit delete, I deleted the midi event I just ajusted and not the object I wanted to delete. In the start that sort of things is relatively normal, you'll find your way.
    First it's not avoidable with the multi windows setup, we havn't got enought key on a keyborad to assign a shortcut for every functions of every windows of this daw, or any daw that allows you to split differnet parts all over your screens, it's always the focused one that gets the shortcut which is used, it's the same in Reaper when I undock the mixer and have several midi editor windows open, it's the focused one that gets my keyboard commands and sometimes I mess up. It's the same in Sam, but beside the fact that I got used to it and almost never make a "focus mistake" anymore (it's the same pinciple with split screens), you also have to be practical about the shortcuts assignment routine that you have going. Spend some time using the daw, checking which functions you need shorcuts for in priority, than redo the whole "mapping" of the shortcut by trying to avoid doubling shortcuts that are important and you use often, and at the same time create shortcuts for the functions you use often and that makes sense to you (the default shortcuts are weird tbh). For example, with my mistake above, now I have different shortcuts for deleting a midi event and for deleting an object. But it's a big task. Don't do it all at once. Save you shortcuts assignments and your menu setup as you do them, and work your way through that task as you need it, according to how you use that daw, it varries a lot from one user to the other. Also, it helps if you have a good midi controller, it's easy to map and use if it's hui, mackie, compatible, etc. It helps with the mixer a great deal, you don't need to focus on it to use it. My MK2 (novation) is really usefull for that.
    I'll upld a video for the other question you had earlier, I had a few problems on my setup I had to reorder things, I'll probably do that this we. Cheers.

4. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

thanks for taking time to reply again.. i am sure i'll be back here soon with more begging and pleading for the Knowledge : )