The "AMEN" Beat explained!

Discussion in 'Education' started by Trevor Gordon, May 8, 2016.

1. Trevor Gordon

Trevor Gordon Platinum Record

I remember watching this about 10 years ago...man does time fly. Still to this day, I am amazed by this loop and also the "funky drummer" loop from James Brown and how over used they were!

One of my favorite lines from an old Hiphop group called Black Sheep pertained to that: "Take the funky drummer and give it back to James", basically mocking other hiphop producers for over using the sample

Well.....without further ado! The video!

3. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

Another 'tetris' case, where the main creator never saw a dime.

And how many dozens thousands guys went to buy the sample from the sample cd website, saying 'ah, finally, I'm giving some money to the original creators'

4. Trevor Gordon

Ah, but the Winston Brothers didn't care. I suppose they had the same outlook as James Brown when it came to sampling (James Brown encouraged it). Either that or like the documentary mentioned, they probably assumed their break loop wouldn't amount to anything. If Zero G didn't actually ask for the rights for the loop, I would say that's pretty questionable though. I love how the drumloop was completely transformed and used in such creative ways. Squarepusher and Aphex Twin were probably the most inventive with the sample.

I was talking to a friend of mine about "the funky drummer" for James Brown. Apparently someone decided to post something on the site Kickstart for donations towards that drummer for basically thanks and tribute for the over use of his drum loop. There were thousands of producers and fans of the drum loop that contributed and apparently he got over a million! I hope the same thing happens for the Winston Brothers! They deserve that! I've never used the loop myself, but if I had, I would contribute and I think everyone who HAS used the loop should give a dollar. Now, you add all the others which amounts to about a million and they would be pretty well off!

Id love to see that kind of free market idea, where record companies are excluded and we work as a community of artists helping each other out.

Here you will see an example of the funky drummer.

5. Havok

Havok Newbie

6. flworius

flworius Member

The immense use of it is absurd.
    How did Jungle never get boring using one loop ? :D
    Also wouldnt any talented and ambitious producer think something like: Ok, this amen breaks sounds cool, but i just use single drumshots and try to create a similar groove but with much more control over all the elements and the possibility to layer and take the osund to the next level ?
    Are there early jungletracks without the Amen ?
    What makes it sooo special that it was used so often, in so many genres ?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Trevor Gordon

Did you listen to the documentary all the way through? There were many producers then and now, re-constructing that loop and creating their own authentic percussion out of it. In the Documentary you'll hear Squarepushers version, which I find to be one of the best.

That's a good question concerning the popularity of the drum loop. It's kind of like the funky drummer loop which was used a lot during the early hiphop days. I think the reason for it is the rawness and boldness of the Amen loop that makes it so appealing to producers. Nothing much else sounds like it, and considering it was recorded with old equipment that probably isn't even existent anymore, makes it that much more special. You just can't emulate something like that now.

8. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Actually, this has been rectified thanks the charitable actions of Martyn Webster:

I donated several times already and I personally think anyone who has ever benefited from using the break should take a moment and do the same. It only takes a moment and its for a great cause.

9. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

10. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

In a way, a lot of it has come full circle. A lot of beats and styles of fills that some drummers use are heavily influenced by techno and hip-hop, and dub. A lot of us play along to loops and samples. Check out Adam Deitch of the John Scofield band's style: