The 80's Dance Music thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by The Pirate, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Slick

Slick Member

2. Shanti

Shanti Producer

and a last one (nicenite here)(a wish to ALL around the world) now z z z z z

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  3. recycle

recycle Guest

hahahaha it's terrible!
    But it made me LOL ... so it is beautiful

Thanks

4. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

How many of you heard this song? This is a Daniel Lamois remix which I preferred over Jellybean's.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Platinum Record

Boytronic - Luna Square

Fun Fun - Happy Station

P.Lion - Happy Children

6. Shanti

Shanti Producer

pIrAtE :)

jellybean ? pulease :)

ok ok ok me out :)

7. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

His skills as a DJ were not as good as many believe them to be. Indeed, his mixing was not even in the top 10% of NYC club DJs not even during his heydays at the Funhouse. Go back to disco, and he could not compete with any of the resident DJs from the clubs in which he played. He was better at remixing/producing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Barbarossa

Righeira - Luciano Serra pilota

Ultravox - The Thin Wall

Yello - I Love You

9. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@Barbarossa that song you posted,"Send me an Angel" was one of my favorite songs in the Summer of '83. DJs pushed the song but it was competing against some heavy hitters of the time: "Every Breath You Take" The Police, "Billie Jean" Michael Jackson,"Flashdance... What a Feeling" Irene Cara, "Down Under" Men at Work "Beat It" Michael Jackson, "Maneater" Hall & Oates, "Maniac" Michael Sembello, "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" Eurythmics, "Hungry Like the Wolf" Duran Duran, "Let's Dance" David Bowie, "She Blinded Me with Science" Thomas Dolby, "Africa" Toto, "Little Red Corvette" Prince, and the list goes on.

BTW, you have been posting a lot of songs and not a single fact. :dunno:

10. G String

G String Rock Star

Surprised that nothing yet (?) posted by Human League. [Have we had Don't you Want me?] I did love these.....my grandmother used to say "This isn't music!" and "You can't tell if they are boys or girls!" (Not sure why that mattered so much to her) If she had ever heard Dubstep she'd have thought the radio had broken. :D

Sound of the Crowd

The Things that Dreams are Made of

It's strange how, during the eighties itself (not knowing what was coming in "dance music") it wasn't obvious that one would be able to draw a direct line from the then-defunct 70s Disco to a sound and style that would dominate the next couple of decades, all via 80s pop. Afterwards it all seems so obvious?

I can now look back on my tastes in the early 80s and see that I was looking for that direct route from Disco to Trance, say. I can remember loving the electronic bass and the improving 'tech' production - Human League, Sweet Dreams (Eurthymics), Fade to Grey etc......edging towards early Trance of the 90s.....so that when I first heard Age of Trance (Jam and Spoon Stella) out in the woods at a small 'rave'..... it was like.........THIS IS IT!!! This is what I have been waiting for!! Again, only obvious in retrospect - to me at least.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. G String

G String Rock Star

Oh, and this hasn't been posted yet? It just about scrapes in, Sept 1989. Clearly, a lot of the sound of the next decade was already in place?

Sounds like a Korg M1?

Ride on Time

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Second post of the thread was by @Lemmy who posted "Being Boiled"

It certainly was a Korg + One.

Since you posted "Ride on Time" it is time for me to post my favorite dance song of all time on which "Ride on Time" is based.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Gabriel9

Gabriel9 Noisemaker

Always wanted to know the bass-synth or even the patch for this song; anyone know PLEASE???

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Peter Gabriel

Peter Gabriel Platinum Record

I know this jam very well.Takes me back in time:disco: Canadian group out of toronto and I was recall this record was one of Daniel Lanois first productions. The bass sound(player aswell) is killer and the percussion is straight wicked. Overall amazing production (the original is better than the 12").
    And all the arguing about lack of low end in the 80's?? I dont remember ever having a problem with the sound back then. If we wanted more bass we would just turn our bass knobs up on our stereos! I guess the devices most people listen to music today don't have that KNOB. :guru:

15. G String

G String Rock Star

I'd imagine it was Oberheim or ARP-Omni, Prince's early faves. (Jimmy Jam and Lewis) It might even be Fairlight?

It would surely be one of those listed in here:

http://guitarcloud.org/faq/what-keyboards-did-prince-use

Sorry, can't help more than that - without looking. ;)

From somewhere:

"Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis used the Mirage, JX8P and OB8"

"Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis apparently used an Oberheim OB-8 for bass on pretty much everything up to 1986 or 1987."

Jimmy Jam programmed most of the rhythm parts, and according to him, used the OB-8 for bass on pretty much everything up to the Janet Jackson album. So, the bass tracks on Alexander O'Neal, Cherelle, Human League, are probably OB-8.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. Peter Gabriel

Good times mates!:cheers:

Drummer and BAss player (husband and wife) from The Talking Heads.
    This was a very big hit. Straight outta NYC

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. Peter Gabriel

You couldn't go to the club with out hearing this one.
    A reaL HOUSE ORIGINAL

They kicked ass in the 80":s And scored big with Janet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. Barbarossa

Paul Hardcastle - 19

Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round ..... DX7..:yes:

Matt Bianco . Yeh yeh

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. G String

G String Rock Star

I did like that, almost against my better judgement. The real tight sequencing sounded good and it's a catchy number. For me it is starting to head off into the faceless techy-pop stuff that came to dominate. But it still kicks. Those claps? Nobody still does that, do they?!

I'm surprised too seeing the video how relatively 'normal' Pete Burns (?) looks in that from today's perspective. At the time that image and his getup was quite a challenge to folks yet now it hardly figures. And man, ain't that video cheap? lol

Once upon a time this seemed to exemplify the thing of 'sampling' - amazing that bands could just slice up stuff and not expect to get sued. Happy days, eh?

Big Audio Dynamite - E=MC2

"I don't like music......."

I'll add this, more for history than because I like it. :D I never much cared for all the "Breakdance" and "Body-popping"...nor the shellsuits. lol But.....I did like the bass and groove of it. I took some stick for buying this! And whilst, yes, it was pretty naff, for me it sits in an important place in the transition from Disco->Electro Pop->Dance/Trance etc timeline. Listening back to it, it could have a different vibe and almost be some 90s trancey/pop thing. And it is 1984, remember.

Streetdance - Breakdance Party

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  20. G String

G String Rock Star

Something a bit different?

Course, drum machines and a bit of a dance ethic made it into some decent Alt stuff too - can see a potential crossover in these early 80s Alt Rock tracks? Maybe obscure?

March Violets - Religious as Hell

Balaam and The Angel - Isabella's Eyes

And, can't resist posting this ......... very 80s for me, though not "dance music" as I take the term. Just brilliant 80s dude/band. If people like 80s stuff and don't know it.....worth a dig into.

Nikki Sudden and The Jacobites - Jangle Town

Nikki Sudden and Jacobites - Big Store

Much underrated band. Or rather, just not well known.