The $499 Roland 100% analog boutique Minimoog !

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by trz303, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Think wrong thread, dude. Those comments are not of this thread lmao. :rofl:

2. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I think it sounds great.

and yes, everything can be controlled cc wise. has aftertouch too, but I don't think (despite Studio Electronics history) it is trying to be a minimoog despite the obvious east coast subtractive synth layout and 24db ladder filter. I think it is it's own thing. I will be getting one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Here is my take on forgien labor, after seeing it fisthand in thailand. When the companies go there and build their own facility and oversee the whole production process you have a quality product. When the companies contract it out to the cheapest labor then change contracts every year as well as factories and workers, as soon as other labor is available for cheaper, then you have what he refers to as a cheap Chinese product. And thats how it is. So if you have a crappy Chinese product the only one to blame is the manufacturer not the country.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  4. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

The Thais are very good and careful workers by the way.. for the most part..
    I'd take something made in Thailand over China.. any day....

Thais like MSG .. but never got sick from the street food. don't think I'll even be trying any in China..
    not into eating rat.. that they said is "chicken"

good humanity too... ask a Thai who works in the tourist industry.. who the rudest tourists are.. guess who always takes the top spot?

This isn't to blame Chinese people as bad workers in and of themselves.. but the managers
    and companies that allow inferior materials, design, and an inferior QC process
    i.e. whatever keeps cost the lowest, and profit the highest...

probably not the best recipe for satisfied customer.. you get what you pay for
    often is a term that is right on the money

@Impressive you still found me anyway ha ? :winker:

I saw you in my multiquote and said.. eh what the hell... lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2017
  5. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Roland is NOT to be trusted for hardware or software in this day and age

Be warned

6. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Roland gear is the rat meat of the audio world, and they wont even afford the eater any MSG....

7. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@Ted Smithton It sounded good on 1st listen.. but now.. I am back to considering a used SE-1x

I do like my Roland A800 Pro... wherever it was made.. it has pretty good quality
    and was a worthwhile purchase. My Roland microcube was MIC also ..and has
    held up very well... good product also...

notable exceptions do not cancel my general distaste for MIC music equipment,
    and for me, guitars are the most horrendous offense

getting into the $500 range with a MIC synth.. would need to see more reviews after it's
    been out a while..

8. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

jeez, just dont buy one then. I just watched teardown vids of all the boutique synths. Besides the small size they look solid to me. I cant see anything wrong. Well besides all the ports being soldered directly to the main board. Its better if you jump them like how mackie does in their hardware, but that would have made it bigger and cost more as well. But at least it looks like you can solder them back down if they ever get knocked loose. The ports dont appear to be microsoldered like a laptop or cellphone. I think all the botique synths look and sound great.

9. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

Thanks for pointing that out. It's valid for any production in any country, with whatever wage there is.

Furthermore, I remember then affordable electronics like MS-20, TR-808, which I both had at their time, were considered crappy, cheap, thin, whatever bad sounding, always by some people. they ranting about Japanese invasion of technology, their constant copying of "our" technoly and inventions, and so on. And to some degree, their bad verdict about the sound was right, until the machines were properly handled for what they were and toughtfully mixed.

One can only say, "I don't like the sound of this or that, it's not my thing", and maybe "I'll rather stay with my CS-80 which I just overhauled for a low 12k, since it's bodyguard I hired ran away with a few parts, I have to be with it in it's own lair 24/7 anyway."

Very right, we are not forced to buy anything we do not like. I recently bought a jd-xi, and for it's price it does the job. Limited, sometimes bad sounding, cheesy concept ? Yes, of course, but I didn't expect anything far from that, too. I remember my Casio VL-1. Someone made a big hit with it (da-da-da). That thing was no Moog.

10. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

surprising .. anything I have ever bought that was Japanese made.. was of a high quality..and often superior
    to things made in USA....by the mid 70's their auto industry was kicking a55 here in the USA..and it still is..

prices for things in Japan are generally higher.. but then so is the quality..

altho immediately following WWII they made "cheap" trinkets and toys etc... but sort of a given
    being that most of their manufacturing sector had just been leveled

not so with China...

11. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

I've owned 4 Voyagers. And God knows how many other Moog synths... I'd put this up against any Moog synth any day. Fantastic price point, wish it was a tad bigger, but would be perfect in a rack of 6 for polyphonic work.

12. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

People were raving about the new Behringer synth last year...but lately haven't seen anyone raving about it..
    seems to have come to the "meh" phase

13. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

This might have to be my next purchase. I skipped the JP-08 and other two boutique releases, as well as the Behringer release. (But, I did bite on the TR08 and TB03. I don't feel remorse for those two purchases though.)

14. Peppe

Peppe Member

Studio Electronics is an american company. But I agree with your point, there's nothing Chinese here. Actually this looks like an amazing product.