Test Results Pro Tools 11

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by The-RoBoT, Mar 29, 2014.

1. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Some Test Results Comparing Pro Tools 11 On An Old Mac Pro v New Mac Pro

Rather than getting into a debate over what DAW is better etc just do some old fashion reading.​

Click Here For Test Results​

[​IMG]

3. widgetmaster

widgetmaster Newbie

In the hopes of being helpful ... and shedding some light on the above "testing of pro tools on macs" I would like to add some information that appears to be left out. (At least, I didn't see it.)

One can test software all day long, but we must remember that software is always held "hostage" to hardware, so to speak. Today, all macs are pc hardware any ways, and the only difference (besides cost) is the Operating system and the BIOS.

Having stated the obvious, on must really consider hardware specs when testing software. For example ... How fast is the CPU ? Just as important is one must consider through put (especially in audio applications) of I/0, Bus speed / speed of the circuitry on the motherboard, and RAM type and speed. All these things effect how fast an audio data signal passes though the system.

One other thing that folks seem to forget when building or buying a computer system to run DAW software is ... how fast are the hard drives (platter speed, read /write times, and seek times). I see many audio students that think they are going to run pro tools on a cheap mac laptop, or maybe and older used Mac, only to be disappointed in how many tracks / plugs their system can handle. Also, we need remember that pro tools HD and regular pro tools offer different levels of performance / ability, and with Version 9 of pro tools, the ability to use an ASIO driver (if chosen) also affects throughput.

If we are going to test any software regardless of brand, or version), to have a valid test one must have two identical platforms to test on. Additionally, the entire system including audio interface and video card / resolution should be identical. Now we can get accurate measurements as to how two different versions of a DAW perform, or how two different brands of DAW software perform.

So, some things to consider as related to hardware when considering DAW software.

4. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Ultrasonic

I believe the test was between the older vs newer Mac Pro, utilizing Pro Tools 11 to observation performance differences…. :grooves:

5. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Even though i made "Some Test Results Comparing Pro Tools 11 On An Old Mac Pro v New Mac Pro" in bold i think i should of made it font size 48.​

[​IMG]

6. nadirtozenith

nadirtozenith Rock Star

navigating between nadir zenith vectoring upwards
    well... this here me is quite sure this in no way is some new kind of phenomenon, also it is in no any concievable way my intention to offend anybody, but... sometimes, seemeingly, there are opinions, really really really strangely pushy in their stubborn behaviour, then through this they will, somehow, fight to find their way to be aired, even if being with, say, subtle disregard of topic, or even bearing no strong relevance to the originally asked question... *yes*

perhaps this opinion falls in the same category (this here me hopes that it rather does not)... :bow:

besides being thankful for the information provided, plus promising this is the last of those occasions to digress, the court jester of the emperor of utopia wishes us all less facepalm deserving moments, plus all the best of all the best... :bow:

7. widgetmaster

widgetmaster Newbie

Fair enough .. but the point is still .. if you don't specify the "specs" of the different systems, what does the comparison really mean? Just asking the question :)

8. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Pro Tools HD 10 HDX 2-512 Voices Mac Pro 2013 2.7 Xeon E5 12 Core 1009 DVERBS
    Buffer at 512 and 90% CPU (24 Processors)
    Pro Tools HD 11 HDX 2-512 Voices Mac Pro 2013 2.7 Xeon E5 12 Core 1232 DVERBS
    Buffer at 512 and 90% CPU (24 Processors)

Etc etc yeah i know its hard to read but he did supply info and what i can read the machines are identical.

If in doubt contact Mike Thornton i'm sure he will be glad to hear from you.

Apart from that i noticed you never made any comment about the article.

What's that old saying "knowledge is bliss to the learner but invalid to the pantomath"