Tennysound analysis

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Ian_Malik, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Ian_Malik

Ian_Malik Newbie

Hi there :)

First post here, that shows you how determined I am to get this f-ing thing right

I'm trying to emulate luke tennyson's drum sounds/patterns. Sort of a transcribing thing.

Except I suck. :yes:

I work on Logic Pro X and usually with Battery 4 to make my beats sound good. I know how Battery works and all the functions but I failed too many times to get that right.
    Especially the snare thing. The pattern is floating and the sound feels almost like it's bein played on a weird kit with brushes (or i know that's not the case, he programs everything in Pro Tools and his sister replicate it on the kit)
    Si I turn into any of you "sound design gods" to help me on this task.

Any tips on any percussion sound will be appreciated ! My ultimate goal is to create a kit sounding a bit like him for some of my songs.

:excl: I've uploaded a part of the song "Your Eyes" if you'd like to hear how it sounds. :excl:

Thanks in advance to yall

Pls save me :mates:

Attached Files:

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Shaker + found sound "snare" + percussion.

Look into shakers, darbuka, tabla, small bongos, etc. Especially how you record these and random found sounds (glasses, scissors, Pringles tube, crushing paper/plastics, etc) all around (with a digital recorder) and process/layer them yourself. Much of it seems to be very DIY, to make for that homegrown feel.

But ofc there are already tons of sample packs out there that are lo-fi, abstrackt, found sound, "Foley" (which is a somewhat incorrect term), woodshed, kitchen, etc, if you want to search for them.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. tidus1990

tidus1990 Producer

Baxter pretty much has it.

5. saltwater

saltwater Guest

do you have this on the radar?
    he explains a lot there, maybe helps.
    timing is pretty much insane,

tennyson is a very unique "thing" :drummer:

6. Ian_Malik

Ian_Malik Newbie

Yeah that's exactly what I tried to layer after a lot of research ! But I don't know about you but when I layer all these things, I fail to have that "light touch" it always sounds too heavy. Maybe it's a processing thing I don't know but it makes me crazy

(For those who crave for these "foley" sounds, YouTube has launched an Audio Library completely free check it out it's pretty useful)

7. Ian_Malik

Ian_Malik Newbie

Yep I did see it but unfortunately they're more explaining their live setup in this.
    But yeah pretty unique, inspiring and frustrating :(

Don't hesitate to put your "tennysounds" here !
    When I'll be happy with mine I'll upload some :thumbsup:

8. saltwater

saltwater Guest

just contact him and ask ;)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Ian_Malik

Ian_Malik Newbie

You think that would work ? They're pretty popular now, but I'll think about it !
    Thanks for the idea !

10. Ian_Malik

Ian_Malik Newbie

Researching a lot about tennyson's music, i found two interesting things

First they're big video game fans, i think there's a lot of thing we can do by downloading samples from several video games of the 90s/2000s

Second thing, i think they are really into indian music as well (through bollywood i think). So there are several things to try both sonically and rythmically with the indian influence.

:)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. saltwater

saltwater Guest

he mentioned runescape samples from a "russian board"

check this out, bottom right side are the downloads
    sounds already a bit tennyson like, but raw, hehe

12. Ian_Malik

Ian_Malik Newbie

Thanks man !

I've heard this story on the Loop interview but I never actually listened (or played) to it before

:shalom::thanks:

13. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

@Ian_Malik

Have you tried to change the pitch of a drum sample? Sometimes it makes the effect you need (if I have understood you correctly).
    Additionally I could try to change the envelope, esp. attack but all parameters are useful.

14. Ian_Malik

Ian_Malik Newbie

Yep he surely pitches his samples a lot !
    When I do, I do have a lighter sound for sure, but I lose a lot of the brushy sound !
    I think he is just really intricate with the velocities and writing.

The kick/bass combination seems more like "stomp sound/simple sine bass" but I don't how he mixes that
    We can feel the kick but he's almost imperceptible.
    Really good mixing in my opinion

Thanks man !