Ten Ways to Make Money from Music

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BEAT16, Feb 22, 2022.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Ten Ways to Make Money from Music

Published on Friday 4 February 2022

If you want to make a living from music – partly or entirely – then it’s worth having a good think about where exactly the money is going to come from. Almost every professional musician and music-maker has multiple sources of income, which in business-speak is referred to as a ‘revenue model’. To help you build yours, Guestblogger, Maaike lines up ten possible money-making options for your consideration.

[​IMG]

While I was studying music at the conservatorium in Rotterdam, how to make money as a musician was a regular discussion topic. There are far more money-making methods than you might think, so here, I’ve made a list of the most common options for business-minded musicians so they can pick, mix, and come up with their own custom revenue model:

#1. Performing
    Playing gigs with your band or performing as an act or musician is probably the first thing you think of. But there are a few factors to consider: will you play covers or your own material? Will you arrange your own gigs or find a booking agent, or do both?

#2. Teaching
    Besides making and performing music, many musicians also give lessons on the side. You can do this privately by advertising your services online or on local notice boards, or by approaching schools to offer students after-school or lunchtime lessons.

#3. Collaborating with Music and Theatre Productions
    Collaborating with music or theatre productions is a great way to secure regular income for a period of a few months at a time. These kinds of projects generally offer a fee for rehearsals as well as the performances and tours, and you could be hired via a temporary contract or taken on as self-employed, in which case you would invoice the company for your work.

#4. Apply for Grants or Subsidies for Your Own Project
    Are you busy working on brilliant ideas for your own project? Then it’s worth doing some research to find out if there are any grants or subsidies available to fund it. The best ones will pay project costs and include a fee for yourself. It’s essential that you fully understand the requirements of any subsidy providers since they can differ, but usually this will be detailed on their websites.

#5. Session Work
    As a paid session musician you can step in and play for other artists, whether recording albums, or more commercially, radio jingles.

#6. Airplay
    Is your music getting radio play, or is it being used to soundtrack films, videos, or online content? Then you have a right to the resulting royalties. Even every time your work is played in the public domain, even if you’re just playing a gig to an audience, as long as it’s in a public space, and as long as your work has been registered with PRS, then you’ll be due a little extra cash.

#7. Selling Merch
    If you want the name of your band or act to really get out there, then there’s no better way to advertise than slapping your name on the chests of your fans. Merch has always been an essential money-making tool for bands, making up an average of around 10% of their income. Merchandise can span everything from t-shirts to badges and bottle openers.

#8. CD/Record/Cassette Sales
    While people are buying physical music formats less and less, for some genres, there’s still some money to be made by selling CDs, records, and even cassette tapes including a download code.

#9. Accompanying Rehearsals
    Are you a classically trained pianist? Many choirs and conservatories hire pianists to provide accompaniment during rehearsals and auditions.

#10. Streaming Income
    While the kick-back from streaming services like Apple Music and Spotify aren’t necessarily that high for developing artists, that doesn’t mean it’s not worth finding a good distributor and putting any recorded material out there. It doesn’t just make you a little cash, but puts your music within direct reach of any potential fans, venue bookers, or other people that might be worth connecting with.

So, What Will You Do?
    The beauty of many of these options is that they don’t get in the way of any day-job you might have, and ultimately, you can pick out the ones that suit your skills and focus; fit your schedule; and actually feed and support oneanother. And maybe, you’ll discover some other options along the way.

Do you have some good money-making ideas? Let us know in the comments.

Source: www.bax-shop.co.uk/blog/marketing-business/ten-ways-to-make-money-from-music/

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

So, What Will You Do?
    Pimp out my beatz and kitz bro. :chilling:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Sell plasma
    Pimp yourself on Craigslist
    Play bad covers on shitty bars
    Play whatever genre's fashionable at the moment
    Open an OnlyFans account
    Do silly little dances on TikTok
    Last-minute entertainment at birthday parties/weddings
    Make videos on YouTube making silly faces.
    Become a Soundcloud sensation
    Fund your so-called talent from the trust fund your parents originally set up for you and pretend you're a struggling musician.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

#11 Just get an other job :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Josephluke

Josephluke Newbie

Very good idea so far. I love your tips here. Thank you so much.

7. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

True.
    We just have to face the truth...
    ... only a tiny minority can fulfill the dream of making a living from their music. That the dream can quickly become a nightmare, that's another story.
    In any case, I don't want to know how many disappointed artists (of all categories) end up hanging themselves from the proverbial lamppost, taking refuge in addictions or suffering from deep depressions.

The most important thing to learn in life: To learn to recognize and accept one's own limits, perhaps even to appreciate them (am I really the unique singer, keyboarder, guitarist, drummer, entertainer ... or rather just upscale average)

Therefore, most of the time it is better to get a proper education, with which one can make a living from and then make music in a band as a sideline. Maybe it still works out there with a career - even if its only a smaller one.

The advantage is that you will probably live to be 60 and older, and usually even happier.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. Raimonda

Raimonda Newbie

twoheart, you hit the nail on the head! I just turned 60, had lots of fun playing music in my sparetime, had great gigs and aftershow parties with the band. Now looking forward to retirement to be able to put more time in my favorite hobby. All the way I was able to make a decent living for me and my family in my proper job. Regrets? Yeah, some but still living and looking forward to the years to come.

9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I'll just say what I always say when I meet a struggling musician...I'll take a piece of apple pie with my coffee.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Bernard Mcbride

Bernard Mcbride Newbie

Thanks for sharing! Having various income sources is essential for musicians. You can also check out bingo blackout as a potential revenue stream. It's an exciting game that's gaining popularity, where players have the opportunity to win big prizes.

Last edited: May 16, 2023