Temporary solution for mixer plugging.

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Boosire, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Boosire

Boosire Producer

Hey there.

So i just got offered a zed60 14fx http://www.allen-heath.com/media/ZED_60_14FX_Front_2800.jpg for my birthday and i am completely new to using mixers.

The only two ways i can conenctit to my audio interface are Female xlr outputs or usb connection (these are ancient its USB1 16bit)

So the best way to plug my mixer in (would be better than this lame USB, right ?) would be to get xlr female to jack trs cables to insert in the line inputs on the back of my UR44

cf. http://static.weloveshopping.com/shop/muziccraft/extra/12956901.jpg

I have to order the cables, in the meantime i wonder if it would be a temporary option to use my mic cables and plug the xlr male part on the front panel of the ur44 in the mic inputs. Is it made to receive that kind of power or is it solely for mics ?

Thank you in advance

3. Inputs 3&4 on the ur44 are line. Though I think that without a usb2 output to utilize all the outputs and/or outputs you will not really be able to use the whole functionality of the Zed. Why do you feel that you need this mixer, do you have a bunch of outboard that you want to bring inboard?

4. Oimsio

Oimsio Ultrasonic

hi there
    why temporary?
    you have a choice : do you want to understand how it works?
    what do you want to achieve?
    a soudcard is a mixer (laptop or computer)
    in the mixer you have 8 in with 2 hiz (guitar bass etc) and all the good feature (low cut, solo semi parametric eq ect)
    at your fingertips 8+2 in ( but only 4 simultaneous )12 out (mixer and soundcard) + 3 headphones.
    so a paper and a pen, out always on the in, and the question : what do you want to achieve?.
    how to calibrate a soundboard :

two hours and your set is done
    don't forget the center of all : computer or laptop. the only exit you want to hear (out soundcard)
    I hope it helps.
    cheers from spain :wink:

5. Boosire

Boosire Producer

To be honest i didnt even asked for it, its just distant family who know im a serious musician and the uncle thinks mixers is essential to any composer aand knew i didnt have one so here we are.

But why not take advantage of it ?

How come they do such a shitty usb out ? I mean USB2, 16bit ? It's such a downgrade from my UR44, but at the same time i really like being able to put my guitar, bass, microphones for vocals and sampling and my future drum machine in one place and be able to pre mix a little bit and using someknobs for once.
    Also these Allen and Heath effects are surprisingly good, im kind of a low profile guy i dont want to bother myself with too much vst for example and i would be really satisfied just using these (and worth mentioning my computer is crap, this would please him)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  6. Oimsio

Oimsio Ultrasonic

this usb in/out is made to record
    live or to inject a signal (two tracks but digital) it's made for the live sessions .
    and the cd standard being 16 bits 44,1... the minimum...that's all
    cheers from spain :wink:

7. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Awesome, that's my Mackie Board in that video! :wink: Well, like it anyways.
    I understand wanting to hook a board up to run things through. It changed the sound of my mixes (in a very pleasant way) Things got more focused. Hard to beat actual hardware even with good emulation plugs. Of course with an ultra cheap board, your results will vary, but I'd think the Allen & Heath would have some nice preamps that would add something to the sound.
    I tried running all 20 outputs from my audio interfaces through the board, and mixing through the board that way, which was a nightmare in terms of re-cabling everything, and then keeping track of it all. I found that by just running the master outputs through 2 channels, it added enough analogue to suit my needs. I wasn't after channel bleed (crosstalk) or any of the other things you can get from running through a board. And if you do have some nice hardware rack pieces, you can run them as inserts on the master, on a bus, etc. which will just add to the tone you'll already get running through the board. I run a tube preamp and a compressor on my setup. It really bumped up my tracks an extra notch just doing these things.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

XLR monitor outs homie. ( or mains depends what you want)

9. Boosire

Boosire Producer

I just want to do most of the mixing through the allen and heath and send it to the audio interface to record it in my daw

10. Boosire

Boosire Producer

Yeah i tested the preamps they are really nice, and i love the onboard reverbs and delays

So, rca then ?

How come i can't just send the xlr Main Mix Out to the audio interface instead of the PA (why only the PA for these ?)

11. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Best Answer
    [​IMG]
    Top right hand corner , where it says main mix out in XLR connections,
    then you take the XLR cables go into your audio interface, then arm them homie.

here what yer cables look like
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-XLR-3-pi...504117&hash=item43b0f94e88:g:M~MAAOxyY3ZRzK-k

it just seems really weird using a live sound mixer into a computer to record to me.

I would just get rid of that mixer ( or put in closet) and buy this
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Rub...188271&hash=item212d8fb668:g:R0oAAOSwM6NZshud

that roland interface is best you can get for that kind of cheap price brother.
    i hope it all comes together for you friend.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    if you wwanna shop for others here
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...4C7J2ErXaws-ssH1Op7bFTq1Xp9UaCnAaAkSrEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=audio+interface

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=1000&_nkw=audio interface&_dcat=123445&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=250

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  12. Boosire

Boosire Producer

Ahh so these xlr out aren't just for PA, thanks for clearing that up i really didn't know crap about mixers specifics above what i need in a daw.

So this will be a better quality signal compared to just using the usb port to send the stereo mix ?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

yes fine sir. the XLR has a ground so you dont have crappy noise in your signal
    youll be happy with it plus they are sturdy cables

14. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Depends on the A-D converters.

To play it safe you should try both and compare the results. But I guess the UR44's are a little bit better although I had no impressive results with the UR22.

Furthermore you could connect the UR44 and the speakers to the mixer so you can play your instruments without the need of your computer.

Welcome to the analog world. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

vs
    Mh... I'm with analogdragon :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Boosire

Boosire Producer

I really didn't think much about the sound, all i want is control and analog, the less i need to use my mouse the better

Thanks guys, ill wait for my xlr to trs cables but in the meanwhile its already a lot of fun with just my headphones on the mixer.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  17. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

you got some good homies here for you bro.

18. DaTech

DaTech Newbie

Hello to ya all,

@Boosire , you answered your own question perfectly which shows that you did your homework
    "So the best way to plug my mixer in (would be better than this lame USB, right ?) would be to get xlr female to jack trs cables to insert in the line inputs on the back of my UR44"
    This is exactly how you wanna do it, just double check and make sure you are using TRS Cables going in your UR44 LINE inputs.

@MMJ2017 , 1st mistake, the console delivers line signals, not mic signals, so running those to mic inputs is the wrong option,
    2nd strike is , "yes fine sir. the XLR has a ground so you dont have crappy noise in your signal
    youll be happy with it plus they are sturdy cables"
    TRS Jacks also have ground, it is the same wiring like an XLR just with another end (Tip, Ring, Sleeve, +, -, ground)

http://tweakheadz.com/all-about-cables/
    Nice and handy info there about cables, useful to everyone.

Hope that helped a bit.
    Cheers !

Edit : using your mic inputs will NOT damage your interface in any way, it's just NOT the right way to send your signal (different resistance, different levels) and it might be too hot if sent at unity (which it should) from the mixer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

@MMJ2017 , 1st mistake, the console delivers line signals, not mic signals, so running those to mic inputs is the wrong option,
    2nd strike is , "yes fine sir. the XLR has a ground so you dont have crappy noise in your signal
    youll be happy with it plus they are sturdy cables"
    TRS Jacks also have ground, it is the same wiring like an XLR just with another end (Tip, Ring, Sleeve, +, -, ground)
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    from the manual
    http://www.allen-heath.com/media/AP8765_2+ZEDSixty_UserGuide_A5.pdf

page 24

"
    Allen & Heath
    24 ZED Sixty 10FX & 14FX User Guide

Main Mix Out XLR connectors
    Standard XLR output connectors for the main ste-
    reo mix. Impedance balanced to aid interference
    rejection. A recessed switch on the rear panel re-
    duces the level by 30dB if it is required to submix
    these outputs into the XLR inputs of another mixer."

I repeat (just in case)

A RECESSED SWITCH ON THE REAR PANEL REDUCES THE LEVEL BY 30DB IF IT REQUIRED TO SUBMIX THESE OUTPUTS INTO THE XLR INPUTS OF ANOTHER MIXER!

so that would be zero mistakes SO far on me 1 mistake on you fine sir.

NEXT
    manual page 24

"...
    Main Mix Insert jack sockets
    Standard 1/4” (6.25mm) jack sockets wired:
    Tip = send, Ring = return, Sleeve = Chassis. Nominal
    level is 0dBu.
    "
    I REPEAT

NOMINAL LVEL OF THE TRS IS 0DB!

the TRS is the LINE LEVEL OUPUT mistake zero on my part,

"
    Effects & Aux bus Outputs
    Standard 1/4” (6.25mm) jack sockets wired:
    Tip=hot, Ring=cold, Sleeve=Chassis. 0dBu.
    The FX out is the Effects bus output, and can be
    used for connecting to external equipment such
    as an effects processor. OR a latching footswitch
    can be connected (wired between Tip & Sleeve)
    and used to mute the on-board FX.
    The AUX out is taken from after the AUX MIX
    master level control."

effcts and aux outputs are 0DB!

mistake number 2 for you home slice.

"Edit : using your mic inputs will NOT damage your interface in any way, it's just NOT the right way to send your signal (different resistance, different levels) and it might be too hot if sent at unity (which it should) from the mixer."

mistake zero on my part mistake number 3 for you homey!

there is no such thing as a "mic input" as you say

it is in reality calleda

low impedance XLR input.

there is a reason why it exists to be used! ( yes you plug a mic into a low impedance xlr input also it does not own the plug though!"

"
    (different resistance, different levels) and it might be too hot if sent at unity (which it should) from the mixer.""

dood, look at the manual page 24 brah, what do you think it could possibly mean by the words

manual page 24
    MAIN MIX XLR OUTPUTS MANUAL SECTION PG 24
    "A RECESSED SWITCH ON THE REAR PANEL REDUCES THE LEVEL BY 30DB IF IT REQUIRED TO SUBMIX THESE OUTPUTS INTO THE XLR INPUTS OF ANOTHER MIXER!"

[​IMG]

jeez i didn't realize that our kind conversation, needed to be interupted by the "clown shoes" gangsta over heya ( did someone pop yer ballons errrrrrrrrrr?(ready to pop some caps at any moment?)
    [​IMG]
    countin other peoples mistakes that it turns out they never made, but you made even more than your accused others of?

clap,clap.clap.clap.

for your troubles SIR...............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Boosire

Boosire Producer

They don't really explain what are the Main Mix Insert for, is it to go the other way (audio interface to mixer) ?

edit : No i see that this is what the Playback Ins are for on this mixer.

Any difference between the FX Out and AUX out ? Or s it the same principle ?

21. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

the main mix can go to another amp if needed ( the main inserts adding more external fx units)

the fx out and aux so you can run monitors like on stage and such fine sir.(say your singer and drummer)

here in manual page 27 there show you all ways you can hook up things, and on page 12 excellent specifications chart so that manual actually kicks ass well done.

im impressed by this mixer bro.

yah your good with it , its really nice.

make sure to let us know how it works for you and if you need anything we'll be here brother.