Tempo mapping in Reaper - Anything that I missed out?

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by Futurewine, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Hi guys!

I just went through Kenny's tutorial about Tempo Mapping in Reaper. Pretty much neat and simple to follow (w/o dragging tempo envelopes). I'm wondering if there's any script or faster techniques to do it that i missed out or i can try, please advice. Thanks.

3. odelay

odelay Kapellmeister

I remember watching this one some time ago, too. I think it might be useful.

4. Blorg

Blorg Producer

You gentlemen must like Reaper for its retro cool.
    [​IMG]
    If you ever decide to visit the 21st century, here's how today's DAWs handle tempo mapping :winker:

1. set downbeat
    2. tap
    3. hit warp & enjoy
    Bonus: tempo data is stored, so the next time you open that song, it'll be beatmapped :mates:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. odelay

odelay Kapellmeister

FYI, sometimes you may need to work with old recordings which have not been recorded to a click track or computer-generated with an exact bpm tempo. The tempo may then fluctuate, so you need to adjust your grid to the tempo of the original recording (if you want to keep the original recording "as is"). In those particular occassions, I think Ableton Live is completely useless. - Where is your God now? :guru:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Yes, that's what tempo mapping is -- mapping a tune's dynamic (changing) tempo. There's no need to map static (unchanging) tempo, just set & forget (temp-match), or "go West, young man!" in cartological terms. Even Fruity Loops does that with the greatest of ease. Which rhymes with trapeze :)

A tempo map can be used in different ways.
    It can straighten out a dynamic tempo tune & make it static (dead, unchanging, locked to a click track/metronome), or make the metronome/project tempo speed up/slow down to follow it.
    That's the cool thing about tempo mapping. It lets you keep all the kinks, and make the rest of your project follow them

To make a tempo-mapped song static, we make it a slave, to keep it "as is" we make it a master, by pressing the "Master" button, like so:

1. one measure, its tempo ridiculously warped to make point (first beat stretched out 2 beats long, rest of the beats bunched up)
    2. we make it the project's master (listen to the metronome).

"What unholy wizardry, this?!" plead you p̶r̶i̶m̶i̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶v̶a̶g̶e̶s̶ Reaper gentlemen. No tears, arise! Up from your knees! there's no dark magic here. Only Love, Love and superior Technology of Your One True God, Ableton :)

7. Exidus

Exidus Rock Star

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. BooBam

BooBam Ultrasonic

A big thanks for this topic...and the offtopic contributions.
    All of this is just what I need for a project I am doing.
    I am laying down a track without a set tempo and need a way for added instruments to follow it.
    Cheers!

9. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Your tone should not be disrespectful. :dont:
    If you have something to say about tempo mapping keep it into technical aspect.

I'm not sure that you figured out the OP asked specifically a solution into Reaper BTW, so your comment is not answering to his question.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

Totally agree ; Amen.

11. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Unless you feel that the author of
    (the post I'm replying to) is trying to make me question my Faith, I'd say he's familiar with the basics of humor.
    Assumed OP wanted a practical way to get a job done; clearly not. OP wanted to do it with Reaper. Lesson learned :)

12. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Here is an alternate method from the same source.

While most DAWs offer some type of tempo mapping, the analysis function in each differs. I prefer to leave automatic analysis off
    because it can cause problems if your settings are not correct. In Reaper, make sure your 'project' settings are correct as pointed out in both videos.

Also try this:

13. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

I'm sorry if this thread had caused any trouble. Just wondering how you guys prefer to do it in Reaper, since there's many customizable way to do it here. I guess each methods suits for particular editing needs. Thank you for the tips and videos :shalom:

In case anyone had missed out, sharing another method using SWS extension:

14. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Blorg, please stop.

This thread have a clear objective, you are completely off topic. :dont: