Tempo Mapping in FL Studio?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by superliquidsunshine, Jan 29, 2018.

1. If I play, let's say, an acoustic guitar that is played freely without a click track, can that performance be tempo mapped to create a master tempo that can run as master clock of the song without spending a whole lot of time physically finding downbeats throughout the performance. @Blorg made reference to this in another thread before he was spanked for his pandering to an imp (watch out, those imps are nasty critters, LOL)

3. Can you help a brother who's down on his luck?

4. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

You can do that manually by right clicking on the bpm and click on "tap" and then tap along with the beat while you record automation.

5. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Next time I see a post like "Brushing my teeth with a toilet plunger - Anything that I missed out?" I'll keep my damn mouth shut, won't butt in with "try a toothbrush."
    So I'll be helpful without triggering anyone by going off-topic. Here I go.

See, what you do is set sample to "Resample" (vs. "Stretch"), create a tempo automation clip, and go through the song you need to beatmap, measure by measure, beat by beat, adjusting the automation clip by nudging it *just so* with your mouse. This won't work, due to fruity GUI playing fast & loose with reality.

So the answer's no, Fruity Loops can't do tempo-mapping. Not for love, money, or sour apples.

Now, what you can do is set sample type to "stretch" (or one of the fancy Elastique stretches), slice the thing up into bite-size one-bar chunks, "Make unique" each one [stet], and shrink/stretch each little cliplet to exactly one bars long. Of course, this isn't tempo mapping (just straight static tempo) :banned:
    Say, don't you remember? I'm your pal:guru:
    Buddy ... can you spare ... a dime :suicide:

6. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

I've asked about this on its official forum

and the answer was
    "I hope 20.X since tempo mapping is something on the to-do. Its related to a whole bunch of time-related fixes." - Scott

7. Thanks for the answer. What a time killer that would be. I was hoping for a savior, but all I got was truth. I guess I'll just have to continue recording in bits and pieces while clocking to different tempos along the way. It kills the flow, but that's just how she goes. I really should get down and learn one of the other DAWs that do this well.
    Thank you too, I should have asked on the Image Line forum first and not wasted you or blorg's time.

8. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Wouldn't take long to figure out enough to record (or load) a sound file, tempo-map & render/export it.
    *helping blorg waste time. Thanks.

9. My pleasure...tick tock.