Tell me everything about Clipping

Discussion in 'Software' started by OffshoreBanking, Aug 16, 2024.

1. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

I personally use Sir Audio Tools StandardClip

I've tried others, and some like Kclip seem good, but I ended up buying StandardClip and just stick to that. It does everything I need, so I haven't deviated from that (plus I like how the Soft Clip Pro setting works for soft clipping).

Clipping vs Limiting is a little hard to answer for me.. I use either depending on the situation. I tend to use a clipper when I want to shave away peaks though, and I might reach for something more specific if I want to saturate or change tone.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2024
  2. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Oversampling solves problems with aliasing. But not the problem with true peaks, it might be flat in PCM mode, but never in true peak (maybe some exclusives like fabfilter pro-L2 in clipping setting and all modes in, or OVC-128, don't know, but imho there is always a post-limiter for true peaks included, esp pro-L2). True peak is a question of very high quality brickwall limiters with TP, ISP limiting options, oversampling modes. Oversampled clipping imho creates more true peaks, because of Gibbs phenomenon, ringing preringing from filters after downsampling.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. curtified

curtified Rock Star

since its everything about clipping I wanted to put in the best plugin I have found to repair clipping. The DeClipper in stereo tool - https://www.thimeo.com/stereo-tool/ is really clean and helps recover clips in a recording that you needs some clipping repair.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  4. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

Do you prefer clipping over limiting ?

Only with transient material, mostly drums. I don't like limiting drums. And i got a clipper on my drum bus on a solo purpose (check tricks part). On the master is circunstancial, depending on the dynamic range and the genre. Although a limiter is always at the end of the chain. I don't clip melodic material and vocals, never, nunca.

When do you choose one over the other ?

When i want distortion instead of heavy compression and i feel that the material will benefit the extra grit from the clipper.

What is the clipper you love the most and what is so special about it ?

My workhorse is StandardClip, because it saturates before it clips, has cool algorithyms to play with, and offline oversampling rendering . But i'm falling in love with the Ozone 11 Maximizer (on the fastest attack it becomes a clipper) because that shit is hard to alias even when i'm pushing hard. Ozone also has some saturation/soft clipping introduced before it actually hits the ceiling, if that's the case. AA Ash for Mid/Side clipping.

Do you know any clipping tricks that you would like to share ?

I mentioned earlier that i put a clipper on my drum bus. It's set at a especific ceiling value by deafult; for me it's a gain staging indicator to ensure everything going to my stereo bus will never hit more than this value. I NEVER push it. Always unit gain. If the drums are quieter than the ceiling, they will not distort and i'm not pushing it into distortion for the sake of it. If i'm giving too much gain it will distort weird, so i know i need to pull it back a little bit. If the distortion is not bothering me and the drums are hitting the ceiling, i leave it like it is.

On my master, i generally clip on mid/side mode, 100% mid, because i don't like distortion on the sides, if i decide to do so.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2024
  5. JefferyDu

JefferyDu Newbie

Personally, I like to create a drum bus and send it all to a clipper. Having the clipper work lightly on that bus. Then on the master i would put a massive passive, clipper and a limiter. For the clippers and the limiter i use "good math" from make believe studios. I also use pulsar massive for the massive passive emu.

6. muse2love

muse2love Producer

7. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Producer

offtopic but could you drop a few names ?

8. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

-Newfangled Elevate

-DMG Limitless

-AOM Invisible Limiter (only soft)

-Arturia BUS PEAK

Then there are many clippers that have a stage of brickwall limiting after the clipping circuitry (not interchangeble), with even a True Peak control, but thats another story.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

I like Pro-L2, Voxengo Elephant, Ozone

Clippers: KClip 2,3, StandardClip, VennAudio V-Clip, some airwindows. And Pro-L2 clipping style.

Some glue before clipping and limiting:
    Chromic the glue, TDR Kotelnikov, SSL vst bus compressor, fircomp2, Pulsar Mu, DDMF both MDEs, PSP vintagewarmer2, cenozoix, unisum, rarely compassion, trackcomp2, pro-c2, and stuff by voxengo, PA and flux..

Selected saturators, eqs, exciters..
    Also wanted to mention AOM limiters and IK Stealth Limiter
    RX, reaper..

10. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

clipping. are a really AWESOME experimental hip hop trio from LA.

11. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

12. stav

stav Member

13. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Platinum Record

Clipper always. I use ClipOnly2 by airwindows. No sliders, no gui. Done. Never limiter. Never ever heard a limiter that came close to sound as good as simply ClipOnly2.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Producer

thx a lot , i go with ableton glue/standart clip/AOM 3 and never look back for good in the future .

mentioned transient/shaper/comp after the clipper is for drum bus only , right ?

15. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Producer

can i use clipping to bring out grid on synthbass/bass ?
    did experiment with lvc clipshifter on some kontakt scarbee bass and had moderate to not worthy results .

16. clone

clone Audiosexual

You can clip anything you want. If you set your input gain and threshold correctly, you can just shave litter and artifacts, and lower the reported peak on the channel while increasing RMS. Just because you are using a clipper does not mean that your result needs to be easily audible distortion.

17. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Producer

is grid distortion or pushs distortion the grid ?
    sry i am silent now , no further offtopic.

18. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

StandardClip 25-50% into Fabfilter Pro L-2 preset "Practically Clipping" with TP disabled(!) and -0.3 ceiling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List