Techno vs. EDM

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Gyro Gearloose, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Creme

Creme Kapellmeister

in a decade you'll wake up and will think about your quote. you 'll realise that EDM was just another mistake in the history of music like tektonic or electroswing. And considering EDM is a concept invented by American promoter to flood the US market with the worst european electronic music ever made in History, you'll think about this other quote:"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." (H. L. Mencken)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. demberto

demberto Rock Star

@Creme but unlike other genres like classic music EDM keeps on changing. It is a very big group of subgenres which keep on changing and new ones come and olders go.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

That's what the first post WWII generation said about Hard Rock and Heavy Metal. Let me have a look - nope, it's still there.

EDM is music for entertainment with a huge variety in subgenres, as already shown. It's for switching your brain off and relax or jump around or whatever. Maybe even switch it off, if you don't like it. That's ok. But it's for sure not a mistake, like no other genre ever was, whether you like or not.

And one has to admit that it's often better mixed (and mastered) than a lot of other genres because these 'kids' start with making sounds.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Are the kids calling it techno these days? In my day those people were buying chewable antihistamines before the show for some reason.

5. slackhead

slackhead Newbie

These kids know what's what:

6. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

the infamous housebreaker's video

they test always before they steal something

7. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Hmm, still being there doesn't make them any better. At least metal and hard rock are still music. It's hard to call EDM music although it's got the word in its acronym. A beat and a banging 2-3 note hook is the majority of EDM. That is sounds mate not music. Vuvuzelas, thunders, whoshees, impacts and more vuvuzelas. Thousands of deaf stoners jumping to literally nothing. Sorry but the whole thing is obnoxious. Half the tracks i hear sound like their "EDM creators" spent about 5 mins laying down those tracks and about countless hours promoting them in social media. Like if they had any kind of musical criteria for the sht they play they would refrain from ever touching again that fkn keyboard. Well... fuck that man. And you mentioned mix ? What mix man. A kick a synth and fx. Fkn Armin Van Buuren and all euro-pop-trance accordingly were much hated in the 90s for bringing that cheesy sht only mid-northern Europeans liked. Dance music for clean funkless white peeps. We 've come to a point where that bad 90s sht sounds like a symphony now when compared to EDM lol.
    Ahh nuff with my rant, don't mind me. Thinking out loud really.
    You be well :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Gyro Gearloose

on point--touche'
    ----
    btw...tf speaking bout mainroom riser edm....na speaking from bit other stuff i guess..

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

That much is true. [​IMG] But this is true for every genre - and arts.

If a 2-note hook is enough to make people happy, where's the problem? I don't want to listen to Prog Metal and Classical music the whole day long and really, I can't. But I'm enjoying these and other genres too.

Obnoxious is a matter of taste and as you know, there's no accounting for taste.

And when it comes to mix, listen to a EDM station (ok, you won't but...) and compare it to what you hear from a Rock station. 80 - 90% of all Rock and Metal tracks sound mediocre, at best. Even the 'greatest' bands release albums with serious mix issues (no or too low bass, HH, cyms, snares, bass drums, vocals,...) Hardly any track I couldn't improve within minutes.

And yes, I'm a white funkless mid-northern European, [​IMG] but this doesn't keep me from listening to Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa or Parliament, for instance. And within the same hour to Rammstein, Sepultura, Mozart and Angerfist.
    Aswell as I don't have a problem to look in a museum at a modern painting and a few minutes later at an ancient sculpture. Different kinds of art enrich your life, my friend.
    Interestingly, I can't remember having ever felt the need to rail against any kind of music or art. I wonder why people are doing this.

And no, I don't mind, all good. :cheers:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Gyro Gearloose

supersaw stuff sounds like german hitmix on cocaine
    ..martin garrix animals is ok ,break is super...but that supersaw :suicide:
    ---
    also some of that möchtergern edm trap hip hop from germany begin to sound like german hitmix (schlager):wtf:
    ---

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Gyro Gearloose

we were on way to destroy mainstream thru www , but this fckt it up
    ---
    no e music scene in every small town..no clubs...just mainroom redneck discos on country site