Techno synth sound I want to recreate. Help

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by krameri, Feb 7, 2024.

1. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

I've heard this staccato-ish sound in some techno tracks and I'd be as pleased as a pig in poo to recreate it. The attached clip is a quick cut of a preset pack demo for Serum.

Maybe it's done with 128th notes then getting longer (64th, 32nd, etc.)? I would love to have a MIDI file to make that and to look at, if any of you have one.

Or maybe it's a synth patch? The clip is for a Serum pack.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

3. macros mk2

macros mk2 Platinum Record

Bet its in the synth lfo. Similar to the first part of this video

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Why would someone need a specific add-in to a specific DAW, and then include the sound in a preset pack demo for a software synth? If anything, they would just use Serum FX.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

this sound is very popular right now in all subgenres of edm, i hear it all over drum n bass, dubstep, techno etc. A very simple approach.

Have a chord, (or note) set ableton's arpeggiator style to "chord retrigger", turn off sync mode, and automate the rate. voila. simple.

Use a simple pluck sound with a short decay a nice reverb to taste.

You can of course do this in just serum, but thats way more complicated than necessary.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

It may be, but one of the main points of a preset pack are to show what can be done with whatever it is sold for. or included with.

8. d32r

d32r Member

the effect your after is known as a ratchet or ratcheting. you can just devide the midi notes into smaller and various divisions in order to retrigger to achieve the same effect which is what most people are doing

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
  9. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

@macros mk2, @El Cycer, @clone, @shinyzen, @d32r

Thank you!! So I've learned from you guys that I can do this in a number of ways. Since the demo clip is from a Serum preset product, I approached it from that angle (it's explained the video that @macros mk2 posted). I stumbled across a preset in that pack that got me close enough to see what was going on. I edited that patch and got it relatively close. It's an LFO with the rate changed by an envelope. It starts at 20Hz and ends at 5Hz.

I've attached what I made from it so far. The effect is soloed. It's not as good as the first clip I posted, so I need to keep working on it.

Thank you again, fellas!

Attached Files:

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Assign saw/ramp LFO to volume and modulate/play with rate. To get more attack and snappiness you can assign same saw to lowpass filter cutoff (or top-end EQ gain, which boosts the highs in the attack and then attenuates when the saw drops).
    Most of the time you want the saw LFO to control BOTH volume and higher frequencies (transients, basically).

Edit: Yeah, late for the party.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
  11. luckyLuke7

luckyLuke7 Ultrasonic

It's all over youtube there's 200 videos. Just search "anyma / afterlife lead"
    They even made a plugin to rachet the midi so you don't need to draw. Look up for pitch innovations (manufacturer) the name I can't recall but they just have like 3 plugins.