Techno / IDM drums, percussions and loops

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by Backtired, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Hello,

I want to know a little bit more on how one would go on creating a decent loop in this style.
    As you can hear from the examples (check link at the end of the post; these are taken from a sample pack) there's quite a lot of stuff going on.

Reversed hits, blips and noises, random farts, even some synth sounds chopped and re-arranged. People says "use those loops, they are already made" geez yeah I know, but I want to make my own stuff, especially in genres like these where the percussions may play a fundamental role.

So off to the basic noobish questions:

a) The sounds should be pretty easy to recreate; I mean just experiment, cut stuff, rearrange, cut again, process with some fx, or even use a synth to generate those nasty noises; do you have any other techniques to create these sounds (or a good sample library with hits, not loops)?
    b) How the hell am I supposed to arrange them? I have to put 10-12 sounds in only a couple of bars; sometimes the kick gets drowned in, and if I cut the frequencies of some of the percussions, they lose power; the elements never work together. If you listen to the examples you can easily say they are pretty much glued together, or at least all the sounds work. What's the trick here? Do I just need more experience? As you know (?) I'm shit with drums and rhythms, so after understanding some of the basic stuff with the classic drums I wanted to move on and do something like this, it's just that I have no starting point

https://clyp.it/al4tc2dv

Thanks a lot

3. virusg

virusg Rock Star

i dont have time to explain now but the basics is that you must spend the time it needs on that groove because its one of the most important thing in a track... especially in edm... im open for a colab or look for someone else to colab who is good at drums... ill post some more later...

4. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Right now the best I could come up with, was chopping up random loops, transients and other general sounds, then assign them to the FPC in FL Studio and play around with the piano roll and the MIDI keyboard.

Do you know any synth that is simple enough to recreate most of these weird sounds? I know any will do, but stuff like Zebra or Massive are way over complex for sounds this simple.

Also I was reading that a glitch/stutter effect would also be pretty cool (Tantra anyone?)

EDIT: Found some of these fun guys:
    • FXpansion Tremor
    • Microtonic by Sonic Charge
    • Waldorf Attack

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  5. virusg

virusg Rock Star

in the drum plugin you must separate each sample or group 2 by 2 samples then add various effects for each... most common one is delay but you can add short reverbs folowed by phaser or flanger... let you immagination fly playing with effects... add creative effects like effectrix, turnado, glitch, some from sonic charge... btw microtoniq drum synth could be really usefull to you... dont forget about panning... eq differently paned sounds... automate eq and not only... you have lots of stuff to play... different distorsions like beatcrusher... reverse... etc etc... then add all tracks to a buss compress them slightly then mix them at taste... readjust compression... endless possibilities... dont forget to collab tho... there still plenty to learn...

6. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

There's a couple of ways you can go about this:

One is the same as I would do it on my hardware. 1st I'll programme in the kick, as I generally want it to be constant. Then, I'll play each sound in in overdub mode. This done by ear and not by sight and I can only do this on my RM1x, because auto quantization must be turned off. If it is on, it's makes it makes it much harder to get it all to sit together. You can use your midi keyboard to play the parts in.

Two is the method I suggested to Foster (not sure if he used it though) As you are using FL you can utilize the step sequencer. Load your hits into the sequencer separately and set them to 1 beat. Then in pattern view they will all have their own track. Put your kick in and then turn snapping off. With your loop on repeat, you can now paste and delete your hits and move them around until your happy with what you've got. Bounce it out and you've got your own custom made loop for future use.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  7. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Hi,
    thanks to both.

At the end I found out that the best way is the old way: dragging files in the playlist view, or in sampler channels/FPC, and play with them a bit.
    No need for all those fancy plugins: why? They kinda limit your creativity. What if I want to make a slight automation on something that I can't, for example, on Tremor? They are good, don't get me wrong. Probably some great music was made using them. But for me, no, I prefer having total control over what I'm doing.
    I'm still lookin on how to synthesize some of these weird sounds though

Thanks

EDIT: Oh about the collab: i'm not that expert on this kind of techno IDM music, so I need to learn first a lot, then we can start talking about it ^^

8. OBKenobi

OBKenobi Producer

Reaktor.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Care to elaborate? I never looked up Reaktor and I don't even know what it is honestly.
    From what I've heard it's like a vst that lets you chain stuff together, but I might be wrong. I'm gonna read about it asap

10. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

at first listening it made me thought of effectrix

and heavyocity, they've got spliced hybrid drums you can get in the one shot presets of evolve.

also, you can get a normal drumloop generate synth-like sounds with soundtoys (can't remember which one, i think it's echoboy)

:bow: