Techno/House & Hiphop Relationship/Origin

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Retrolize77, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Thought came yesterday, I find it interesting, so I post it to hear some opinions:

Take for example a James Brown Drumbreak , add some mystic Kraftwerk synths on top, and u may get something like a J-Dilla blueprint if done properly.

Take the 4/4 drums out of an old Kraftwerk tune, and add some soulful & funky strings/guitar licks from a old James Brown tune, and you could possibly get something alike an early Juan Atkins /Derrick May blueprint, or masters at work, isn’t it ( a bit simplified for sure).

Just interesting, the interdependence in electronic music development, what you think ?

3. spyfx

spyfx Guest

some thoughts :bow: :

about breaks ; there is the "funky drummer break,the amen break,the apache break,the scorpio one...the list goes on..

about techno(Detroit),it started there for me & also with Kevin Sauanderson,the guys where expressing themselves thru the "machine" & trying to create the atmosphere of the "industrial" Detroit city thru imagination & story & bring in the human element.

about house : it started in Chicago....later on we had the "east sound" like strictly rhythm records from New York.....in Europe U.M.M (Italy)
    & in California om records (SF) & dirtybird (love these guys) & their west coast house style :bow:
    to me there where hybrids in the past & will be in the future too,& also new scenes will be given birth :
    new souls always come into this world with fresh insight & intuition :wink: :bow:

Edit ; i forgot to mention French house & early progressive house :beg:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2018
  4. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

i know my breaks, nice u do 2, so many good ones, a culture on its own, the drum breaks.that 60‘s/70‘s gear/Processing sounds so comfortable to my ears it’s crazy!sound geniuses back then!!
    Yeah, with saunderson, the Belleville 3!
    Read somewhere that Robert hood & Jeff mills first releases had been mastered in the then old Motown studios, by a funk & soul guy who made that stuff sounds that good !!

I love what Ludovic Navarre did on fnac and later f-com label (Laurent garniers labels), st Germain , good stuff, very funky , jazzy & detroitish at the same time.

Infiniti - Game One, I loved that vinyl , so nice sounding, think Moritz von Oswald was involved. On metroplex

Dave Angel more european vision of Detroit techno was nice,
    Galaxy 2 Galaxy on UR, Robert Hood minus, dave Clarke rmx of aphroeheads in the dark we live.

Im such a musicjunk, it’s crazy.
    But there’s so much good music out in this world that is out of this world & to be heard

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018