Techniques for composing minimal electronic?

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by ocirn3, Feb 23, 2023.

1. ocirn3

ocirn3 Newbie

Hi all,

I recently gained some interest in composing minimal electronic/glitch/you name it music. Take as an example Data.Matrix by Ryoji Ikeda.
    The weird thing with this style is that, although simple and straightforward sonically—it is mainly composed of sine waves, noise, and some effects—it is causing me some trouble with the actual composition of the pieces. In short: what is the best way to create complex and evolving rhythmic sequences? This question might be of some interest to the composition of other musical styles..
    I tried different approaches, directly skipping the classic "arrangement view" approach, as dealing this way with very short samples sounds scary and painful.
    As is nice to be able to modify the nature of the sounds over time, I tried to use SuperCollider with a more "live coder" approach (through the Pattern system), but although with nice results, dealing with code is not ideal for creativity.
    I thought about using Live clip view as well as Modalics Beat Scholar, both of which might offer nice workflows and results. However, a big concern is that with both of them, you have to prepare midi and/or audio clips.

If anybody knows any other system, technique, or obscure tool useful for composing this experimental music, it would be great to get to know them.

Cheers!

3. AudioEnzyme

AudioEnzyme Kapellmeister

Check out something like 2MGT Modularis, whole lotta fun and wonderful synth (⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

H.G. Fortune - The Dream Machibe VSTi (32 Bit) jBridge
    H.G. Fortune - X-WoF 4 VSTi (32 Bit) jBridge
    H.G. Fortune - X-WoF 6 VSTi (32 Bit) jBridge
    https://hgfortune.neocities.org/?/synths

Cescato Musiktechnologie - Trans Computer Maschine - T-C-M
    http://cescato.altervista.org/T-C-M.htm

www.kvraudio.com/product/trans-computer-maschine-by-cescato-musiktechnologie

5. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

I mean, I can point out a few tools that might help you making blips and blops but on a general compositional view the best thing you can do is listen, learn and copy tracks in this style. There really isn't any other self discovery path.