Team Assign's GETVERSION.DLL

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Smiggie, Aug 27, 2011.

?

Do You Trust Team Blindly to point that all of their releases are clean?

1. Yes! They only release chean stuff. They check their stuff out before releasing it.

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. With Grain of Salt. I trust them as far as my Virus scanner

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. No! All there shit is dirty and sometimes buggy!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Man, I don't give a rat's ass!

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Smiggie

Smiggie Newbie

I love Team Assign. But damn! Lately my scanner has an issue with one DLL file they bundle. The "GETVERSION.DLL" always reports as being a virus. For me, I trust my virus scanner. I try to work around stuff it does not agree with.

In the case of Z3ta+ 2 I found a workaround where you can extract the "Getversion.dll" and delete it, but then you are left with manual install in most cases. I did that with their Z3ta+ 2 release, I got rid of the GETVERSION.DLL and did a manual install.

Z3ta+2 works fine and no more virus alerts! So what's up with this "GETVERSION.DLL" and do you trust it and Team Assign?

Attached Files:

3. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Whats not to trust?? Do you even know what the GETVERSION.DLL does?? It will retrieve the version number, product name, original program name (like if you right click on the EXE file and select properties, then select Version tab, it shows you all that information) etc. Also did you bother to check and see if it indeed is an Virus before starting this thread?? According to threat experts is is not: http://www.threatexpert.com/files/getversion.dll.html

4. Smiggie

Smiggie Newbie

Well for one, I value having a stable reliable machine. We are talking Microsoft Windows here, an O.S. easy to hack and crack its security. But exactly I am just asking a question. This why I did a poll and enclosed a snapshot. Just looking for answers. Not accusing them of anything, just trying to understand why my virus scanner flipped out, false positive?

5. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

then dont use warez cuz you'll never know what may happen.... :rofl:

if you want to have a clearer idea when you're not sure about what something potentially is .. dont use or rely on a single AV ...go online, upload your file and have it submitted to 20 different ones...then take a decision accordingly...

such websites as this one will help you...

http://www.virustotal.com/

also what with that silly poll of yours??

I'd say we can trust teams blindly...but who knows what happened between the moment they released something and the moment that same release is being posted on your favourite website...uh??? who said it's not been tampered with?
    come on...a bit of common sense doesn't hurt...or does it??

6. mrcaze

mrcaze Newbie

I can say only one thing. Team ASSiGN directly release all their stuff here properly packed. Team ASSiGN is a group of crackers, not virmakers. Therefore in your case I'd rather beleive Team ASSiGN rather than Norton.

By the way Trojan.Gen.2 signature means that antivirus wasn't been able to identify any specific threats, rather it found some procedures which are often used by by viruses.
    Definition: http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2011-082216-3542-99

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

what should i say - DONT USE NORTON its the sittiest Antivirus evar!

i never had problem with assign releases or other ones.
    @mrcaze ur answer nails it perfect!

8. Horsemen

Horsemen Member

It is just part of the NSIS Installer that ASSiGN uses

GETVERSION.DLL is just a added plugin for the NSIS installer

Code:
    http://nsis.sourceforge.net/GetVersion_%28Windows%29_plug-in

9. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Newbie

I too am wondering why this thread was started.All AV's report falses now.I have never had any scene release be a virus.People put way too much trust in their shitty-ass AV programs.If you are worried about infection don't use warez and STFU.

10. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Any team putting crap in their releases, won't be around long.

Silly thread really, if ur worried about it, don't use it. :wink: