Tape saturation plugin nightmare

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by devilorcracker, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

With over 7 billion people on this planet, odds are someone has said just about anything. Yes, tape does compress when recorded hot, so someone must have used it as a compressor. Was this a desirable quality? Was it common studio practice? Not unless your studio, in its entirety, consisted of a Fostex 4-tracker, or you're now trying to sell tape VSTs to ̶c̶h̶i̶l̶d̶r̶e̶n̶ producers, no.
    And now they need some folding money. A sock is a makeshift windscreen/lowpass filter. The emphasis on makeshift. Pretty sure no IRL tech/producer ever scoured trendy boutiques for overpriced tube socks to stick over his U47. With 7 billion people I might be wrong, but the point is consider using actual compressors to compress & filters to filter, instead of a black box that someone tells you behaves like misused tape.

2. tooloud

tooloud Guest

You are totally correct. Old, senile people like me know nothing compared to today's youth who have a monopoly on historical accuracy.

3. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Tim Pethericks T Tape and 37J are very fine at giving a peak into the real tape world ... Give them a spin ;) the conflict in this forum is amazing sometimes lol...arguments don't make records experimental producers do \m/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List