Talking about good bass players - here are some of my favorites

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by phloopy, Apr 4, 2023.

1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

3. odod

odod Rock Star

My bass people woud be Ric Fierabracci, Roscoe Beck, Dave LaRue ...and of course the legendary
    Pino Palladino
    Love their tones.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Poiuy

Poiuy Member

This one -

R.I.P.

5. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (27 May 1946 – 19 April 2005)

He is perhaps best known for his extensive collaboration with Oscar Peterson from 1972 to 1987.[5] His predecessor, Ray Brown, thought highly of the Dane and regarded him as the only upright bassist equal to the task of keeping up with the pianist.[6] He was awarded Best Bass Player of the Year by DownBeat Critics' Poll in 1981.[7]
    Oscar Peterson:
    After hearing this phenomenal talent on bass, I realized that somehow, someday we should meet, thereby giving me the opportunity to also play with him. This vision and thought took place in the early 1970s, when I was fortunate enough to be able to invite him to join my then trio.

Allow me to express my reaction to his playing this way: First and foremost, he never got in my way--but he also had such a great musical perception of what I was trying to do that he served to greatly inspire me from a spontaneous aspect. I came off walking on Cloud 3000 that evening because of Niels' musical contribution. He had the most phenomenal technique, coupled with incredible harmonic perception, along with impeccable time. I shall never forget that evening.

Almost from that evening on, we became very close friends, not just musically but most certainly personally, for I developed a great admiration for the depth of Niels' political, geographical and personal understandings. He was a man who had an almost unbelievable wealth of historic cognizance pertaining to European history. He also had a very kindred spirit as a human being, always able to easily make good friends, should he care to do so.

Oscar Peterson, writing in Jazztimes.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  6. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

Mick Karn

7. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

James Emory Garrison (March 3, 1934 – April 7, 1976)
    was an American jazz double bassist. He is best remembered for his association with John Coltrane from 1961 to 1967​

[​IMG]

9. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

this is how you properly "count" the music for rhythm to anchor the music. Only 1 out of 100 people that comes to my studio know this. goddamn so frustrating "musician" these days. 3 minutes parts took hours to records.

thanks for the video, will show this to those lazy entitled brats. :like:

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

Marcus Miller for his Signature Slap Bass (Miles Davies was his Mentor at young Age) and James Jamerson (The Mowtown Bass Legend) for playing one of the best Baselines totally Drunk and Lying on his Back (What's Going On by Marvin Gaye).

Marcus Miller - Power

Marcus Miller & Richard Bona playing Billie Jean on stage together

Marcus Miller - Que Sera Sera ft. Selah Sue

What's Going On – Marvin Gaye (James Jamerson)

Ain't No Mountain High Enough – Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell (James Jamerson)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Ronald Levin Carter (born May 4, 1937)[1] is an American jazz double bass. His appearances on 2,221 recording sessions make him the most-recorded jazz bassist in history. He has won three Grammy awards, and is also a cellist who has recorded numerous times on that instrument.

Carter was a member of the second Miles Davis Quintet in the mid 1960s, which also included Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter and drummer Tony Williams.[6] Carter joined Davis's group in 1963, appearing on the album Seven Steps to Heaven,[6] and the follow-up E.S.P., the latter being the first album to feature only the full quintet.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

John Francis Anthony "Jaco" Pastorius III (December 1, 1951 – September 21, 1987) was an American jazz bassist, composer and producer. He recorded albums as a solo artist and band leader and was a member of the jazz fusion group Weather Report from 1976 to 1981. He also collaborated with numerous artists, most notably with Pat Metheny and Joni Mitchell.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  13. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Paul Chambers

Paul Laurence Dunbar Chambers Jr. (April 22, 1935 – January 4, 1969) was an American jazz double bassist. A fixture of rhythm sections during the 1950s and 1960s, he has become one of the most widely-known jazz bassists of the hard bop era. He was also known for his bowed solos. Chambers recorded about a dozen albums as a leader or co-leader, and over 100 more as a sideman, especially as the anchor of trumpeter Miles Davis's "first great quintet" (1955–63) and with pianist Wynton Kelly (1963–68).​

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Charles Mingus

Charles Mingus Jr. (April 22, 1922 – January 5, 1979) was an American jazz upright bassist, pianist, composer, bandleader, and author. A major proponent of collective improvisation, he is considered to be one of the greatest jazz musicians and composers in history, with a career spanning three decades and collaborations with other jazz musicians such as Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, and Herbie Hancock. Mingus's work ranged from advanced bebop and avant-garde jazz with small and midsize ensembles – pioneering the post-bop style on seminal recordings like Pithecanthropus Erectus (1956) and Mingus Ah Um (1959) – to progressive big band experiments such as The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (1963).

Mingus's compositions continue to be played by contemporary musicians ranging from the repertory bands Mingus Big Band, Mingus Dynasty, and Mingus Orchestra, to the high school students who play the charts and compete in the Charles Mingus High School Competition. In 1993, the Library of Congress acquired Mingus's collected papers—including scores, sound recordings, correspondence and photos—in what they described as "the most important acquisition of a manuscript collection relating to jazz in the Library's history".​

[​IMG]

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. Goonster

Goonster Member

Here are a few of mine,
    Mark King
    Bruce Foxton
    Pino Palladino
    Tina Weymouth

16. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Squarepusher, honestly

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. ITHertz

ITHertz Kapellmeister

Here are a few of my favourites - definitely more "band players" but so creative:

John Entwistle
    Paul McCartney
    Lemmy

Cheers!

18. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

For me, The Who's John Entwistle was pretty epic at writing and playing bass lines. The bass for Pinball Wizard is just class and makes the song, as it does for My Generation!

Of the current and living crop though, the Muse bassist is pretty epic and underrated as a bass player perhaps?! Bass lines for songs like Hysteria are just mind-blowing as to how someone comes up with that!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Ray Brown

Raymond Matthews Brown (October 13, 1926 – July 2, 2002) was an American jazz double bassist, known for his extensive work with Oscar Peterson and Ella Fitzgerald. He was also a founding member of the group that would later develop into the Modern Jazz Quartet.

[​IMG]

20. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Dave Holland

David “Dave” Holland (born 1 October 1946) is an English jazz double bassist, composer and bandleader who has been performing and recording for five decades. He has lived in the United States for over 40 years.

His extensive discography ranges from solo performances to pieces for big band. Holland runs his own independent record label, Dare2, which he launched in 2005.

[​IMG]

21. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

Kind of expected Victor Wooten with his double thumb technique.
    Influenced Tosin Abasi heavily which made some great albums