System Image reload

Discussion in 'PC' started by rhythmatist, Feb 2, 2013.

1. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I am a musician and analog audio guy. I am learning this stuff, but I am no computer tech. I don't wan't to hear anything about it being a PC or HP, I need to fight my war with the weapons available right now. My computer was blue screening me. Came to conclusion, after running diagnostics on hardware, reseated all cards and modules, spit in the back and whumped on it, that my operating system was corrupted. I reloaded with discs back to factory and the machine seems to be running fine. How do I reload my system image from my external hard drive without reloading any nasties, which I am pretty sure are hiding in there? Do I have to reload and then do a boot scan, or is there some way to scan and remove bugs before or as it reloads?

3. chippy33

chippy33 Kapellmeister

It depends on what software was used to create the system image, Acronis images can be accessed using a file explorer so I would presume you could scan the contents.

If you let me know what software was used I may be able to direct you in right direction.

Sorry cant be more specific.

There is a heavy downfall on system resources and would take far longer than scanning a real HD as the PC would have to decompress on the fly.

Probably easier to restore image then go to ESET online and use their online scanner

4. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I'm running windows7 and my external HD is a Seagate

5. chippy33

chippy33 Kapellmeister

Recommend this program to access image for virus check http://www.disk-image.com/explorer_iface.htm

Because your image is on an external drive (USB i'm assumng) it will take even longer to scan

If you use the ESET online scanner on your windows disk ( C: drive ) it is quite likely that eset will remove the virus from operating system without need to reinstall from disk image.

Link for online scanner is http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Good luck

THe Scan of C; partition is quickest of the options. followed by re-install and scan, with image scan a distant 3rd.

6. chippy33

chippy33 Kapellmeister

As an afterthought I thought it might be useful to give an overview of good practice for making images of operating systems.

There should be 3 images.

1 - is the bare operating system with updated drivers and anti-virus installed. This allows you to recover a basic working system quickly and knowing it is clean. Also has advantage of being quite small ( easier to make back ups of image file for off premise security).

2 - The second image should contain all your core applications (updated). This allows you to recover and be working with your core set-up within the hour. ( Core software will be your Office suite, Your main Daw/Daws and editors. And any utilities that you rely on. Such as WinRar, etc)

3 - The 3rd image can be your complete system with all plug ins loaded etc. This can be the most vunerable as if you use any cracked software it is highly likely you will introduce a virus/Trojan somewhere along the line. On the plus side this does allow for a full recovery within an hour and allows you to return to work after compulsory coffee break.

Hope that helps

7. Flo

Flo Newbie

Hi Chippy33,
    well I try to keep my assets in an order similar to your three's. But it isnt 100% possible fo me since in some installers one still cannot choose a destination's path.