Sysprep; answer file?

Discussion in 'PC' started by insaner, Mar 15, 2016.

1. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

Hi,

I have a question about the answer file.
    How can you easily make a exact replica from your system in your answer file? (installed programs/plugins/presets/activations etc)

I have checked out windows seven forums but i do not fully understand.
    It looks like it take some time to understand the answer file process.
    I do not mind to put some effort in but i hoped that you could do this very easy, and not have to put rules one by one to make a replica from your system.

Maybe someone have experience with sysprepping and can elaborate a bit more because a few months ago i never heard of it before and i think it is quite important for the producer pc if you need to replace or upgrade cpu/mobo.

:)

3. aragorne

aragorne Newbie

4. danfuerth

danfuerth Kapellmeister

Sysprep is not for that!!!
    I use Sysprep to setup a system with the hardware drivers already put in. So that when I install Windows 7 for example all the hardware is setup. You can include some software as well (slipstreaming apps) but not recommended.

However the right way
    1. install OS and install all required hardware drivers ( all your gear)
    2. Install all required software and plugins
    3. Make sure all software runs and plugins
    DO NOT MAKE ANY PROJECTS
    4. Clone the partition and back it up externally or to another harddrive

I personally use Macrium Reflect, there are many others of course your option is not limited for making the Drive and or Partition backup.
    There are even many Freeware editions.

This backup is for that Machine, let's say that you replace the network card and then toss that Image back into the machine, you may require the drivers for it ( 95% of all network drivers are already built in). But let's say you wiped the machine clean, install a new video card and toss the image back to the machine, you will need to install the new graphics card drivers and related install soft.

This is the way I have my backup.
    Some people do incremental backups using again Macrium or other applications, however I do not trust that method due to CRC's errors.

My suggestion use only what You really need, cut down on the number of vst plugins. I was wasting so much space now I cut down 90% of all plugins. Install Waves and have it all in 1 shot, then install some "special" plugins such as console strip emus etc.
    Also when making new projects make sure they are made on a different hardrive, as well all media saved should be on that separate drive. This is so you do not wipe your projects or media when cleaning your machine.

On my guitar Standalone Guitar sim applications I run them off a 16 gig USB stick, so that they do not even need to be installed ( I made them Portable).

Portability is important these days.

5. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

A very late reply but, i think you mis understand my point.
    Like aragorne mentioned you need a WIM.
    Because if you switch mainbord/CPU there is a big change the system wont work anymore. A graphics card or a network driver are not a problem i think. Nevertheless thank you for your input!

6. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Hey @insaner, personally i use Acronis True Image. Because they their image files are hardware agnostic, there's option when you restore an image to put it on new hardware. I am a 3D artist so I have a render slave and when i first set it up, i just copied my main workstation OS and put it on the slave. It's like pressing 2 buttons total. Way less rigamarole, then the link from @aragorne.

PS there is also a program called Carbon Copy i've heard good reviews for.

7. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

I know Carbon Copy but thats is OS X only, nevertheless interesting feature from Acronis i will have a look, thanks!

8. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

so.... to create an image of the system, once it is installed and all the software installed (slipstreaming), what do I need? WIM or SYSPREP? and can I install this, then, with an ISO the usual way (the way I installa fresh OS on a formatted drive)?

9. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Sysprep is for a factory reset of windows. It's not just a name change. It changes the SID which is very important for
    Active directory and other windows network functions.

In other words when you clone a windows os you need to run sysprep so the SID are not the same.

10. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

do you know some guide?