Synths that load scale files?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by asad12, Jun 2, 2015.

1. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

Hello friends,

I know that Omnisphere and serum can load scale files.
    The problem with omnisphere is that it doesn't play the whole keys as it should after loading scale files.
    One of the keys makes this sharp whistling noise.
    Is there other synths that have this option?
    A list would help and a little explanation on how and where to load scale files would be great.
    It's really hard to play quarter tone in synths if it doesn't have the option mentioned above.

thanks in advance for any help

3. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I think all U-He Synths also load *.tun files

4. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

My old Prophet 5 plays Quarter Tone Scales (24 notes to the scale)

Try also searching for Micro Tuning as some developers implement that instead of Quarter Tone Scale

Good luck :wink:

5. nadirtozenith

nadirtozenith Rock Star

navigating between nadir zenith vectoring upwards
    hey, asad12,

yes, as c3po has mentioned it, all instrument plug-ins from urs heckmann are capable to use them.

search this site, use google also, with the keyword 'microtonal', there are couple of lists on the web (sorry for being so unable to provide you with links, am on my way from one place to another without access to my bookmarks), this site also has couple of threads regarding the issue (on the other site there even exist one post by this here present self of mine that contains these 'missing links').

there exist one site with the sole purpose of converting .scl files into .tun files, also vice versa, worth one search, would you require this.

one could, if every other possibility does not work out, use melodyne or similar editor to alter the pitch of all the notes played.

all the best, wish you the most beautiful microtonal scales imaginable... :bow:

later edit, post scriptum, this is the link pointing to the most convenient solution for the conversion of files mentioned above.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. angie

angie Producer

If I remember correctly Korg legacy editions have the possibility of fine tuning in cents, but you have always 12 notes for octave.

7. A quick place that lists a few...My link

8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Serum

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

thank you all for your replies.
    Didn't expect to get this much information and it's very helpful indeed.
    I did visit all the links you guys posted and checked and downloaded some of the instruments you guys mentioned.
    I have a whole bunch of oriental scales and tun files and they sound amazing.
    Some workstations from Yamaha, Roland, Korg, etc come with quarter tone or oriental scales functionality and are very easy to use but very expensive for now.
    Hopefully, someday I will will be able to purchase one. :)

again, thank you so much and I really appreciate it

10. Zealious

Zealious Kapellmeister

And you can convert any Scala file for .Tun or Native Instruments .Gly - format By using the Scala software....

Also to give you a little heads up, most Pythagorean Scales in the softwares are skewed, so to get a good harmony out of your synth, you will need to create your own Scala file with corrected Pythagorean intervals ( as the main Pythagorean tuning file everyone is copying was from the Huyggens Scala website, and that is the one that does not sound good and has the wrong tunings )

That is why many Pythagorean tunings sound so weirded out in the Youtube, and out of tune in comparison to the ( so called, lol ) Equal Temperament

When you correct the tunings, it will sound lot better than any other

The correct tunings that you need to see in your Scala software are attached below, bc the forum messes the format up....

It took me months and months to learn to calculate these, but i am now sharing these because i am aggravated that it is such fucking hard thing to find in the internet how to tune ones synth properly... ( I just spent the whole day trying to tune a Mono Bass from Massive via PitchBend, only hitting brick wall after brickwall ) So please use these ratios in all your songs, and make superb evergreen songs like i am making, that will truly elevate everyones day, like music was originally meant to do

Attached Files:

11. Zealious

Zealious Kapellmeister

Second Tip,

You can also tune ALL Reaktor Instruments by downloading a file that was under a rock in Native Instruments User Library.... Add it into the synth itself.... Load Gly file converted via Scala software, and you will have Razor, in perfect pythagorean tuning... like it was meant to be

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  12. Zealious

Zealious Kapellmeister

I was trying to add the Reaktor Ensemble that you can add into your Reaktor Synths to Properly Tune it, but the forum says it is not allowed...

You will need to find that in the Reaktor User Library.. Mine is named Microtuning MIDI.ens

13. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

Zealious,
    Sorry I've missed your valuable replies. I did download the file you've attached. I will give it a shot and see if I'm able to figure out how to use the this >>> http://www.microtonalsoftware.com/scl-scala-to-tun-converter.html

I've tried your method before where I tried tuning the notes with pitch bend. Very frustrating and takes so much of your time to the point you will hate yourself that you even got involved in music :crazy:. It drove me crazy.

thank you so much:bow:

14. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

15. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

Thanks again all for you help.
    I have found more than I expected and I have a good collection of VSTi's that support tun.files now.I really appreciate it guys.

here some Arabic Scales(Maqam) for those looking for the same thing.
    http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/PgN2tWWa/file.html

16. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

I don't know what happened to Serum. I used it for quite sometime for that reason.
    Now? that function has disappeared. :dunno: very disappointing. I am not sure if it's a bug or they've removed it, but for sure I can't find it anywhere when I open Serum. I even reverted back to version 1.0.0 with no luck.

17. Dee.P.Tree

Dee.P.Tree Producer

Can ask dumb question? What is scale file and tune file ? Why and how it can be useful? Please do not laugh at me. I really do not know it that is why I am asking.

Thank you.

18. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

Your question is totally fine my friend, and not dumb at all.:thumbsup: We are all here to learn and help if we can.

I didn't know such files existed before doing my research about how to play quarter tone notes in VSTi's(Virtual Instruments).
    It will be easier to understand what scale and tun. files are if you understand Microtuning, or Microtonality.

The link below explains better than what I can put in words with my limited English :)

http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/Scala_TUN_Tutorial.pdf

19. Dee.P.Tree

Dee.P.Tree Producer

@asad12 thanks a lot. I'll try to get familiar with the concept and material provided by you. Also will Google for more information. Is there tuning files available for Indian ragas ? Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  20. Dee.P.Tree

Dee.P.Tree Producer

Recently released v 2.72 of TAL-U-NO-LX also loads tune files.

http://tal-software.com/

Its homepage says:

"TAL-U-NO-LX updated 05.10.2015

TAL-U-NO-LX-V2 updated to version 2.72. The plug-in now supports high resolution screens and is fully re-sizable. We also added Microtuning file import (standard *.tun files)."

21. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

hmm steve added it as test, its still a beta version.