Synths Meddling with my Hi Hat/Grooves

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by TruBlood, Aug 24, 2017.

1. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

Solo'd the drums sound perfect with the hats, with the drop synths it throws the groove of the Hi Hats off, masks them a little and causes the groove to be smeared a little... Any Mixing/Mastering engineers have a few solutions to this issue without totally putting in new samples/hats?

3. Ztriumph

Ztriumph Newbie

EQ

4. saltwater

saltwater Guest

this method could work

on the other side its just a standard EQ job, which, in finding the right frequency should keep your hats alive

got an example ?

5. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

I got them in after a day or 2 the way I like but it took wayy too much effort and listening. Never thought I would need to use this type of EQ but i'm going to look it up and see if it can speed up my workflow, thanks !

6. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

A de-Esser can could work, THB the problems you were having in your mastered version of that dubstep thingie could have also be compression artifacts.

If all fails - you can get a complex dual channel side-chain DEQ in that area with a slowish (40ms) attack time fast release (13-20ms) on the High Hat and a fast attack 5ms - slow release (180ms+) on the synthesizer in the offending frequency range. That would preserve the groove of your HH transients by ducking your synthesizer and blend it back in while clearing up come of the clang and rattle from the hats.

Really hard to say without actually getting a sample, but I remember correctly most of your frequency build up was pretty high over 8K where you could just cut the synth sizzle with no fear of really messing with the HH - so I suspect there is more than one thing going on.

7. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

that's a great idea. So the input channel would be the hi hats I'm assuming.

8. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

yes

Code:
    HH local side chain ------> HH Track - DEQ1
    HH routed side chain |
                         |--> Synthesizer track DEQ2

9. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

Nova probably the best for this or would I need izotope?

10. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

I am not sure, I am not familiar with either of those. I would think that either one should work if it has a HPF on the internal sidechain and can accept an external sidechain.

I use Pro-MB and HOFA IQ-EQ. I used to use the Sonnox one before I replaced it with the Pro-MB, so I am also familiar with that one. I would think that any DEQ capable of filtering it's internal side-chain and accepting and external one would work. I am a little familiar with the Brainworx DEQ after having run a demo of it a year or so back, but I didn't buy it as it was not really offering me something I was not getting and found the interface needlessly complex.

If I were you, I would just use what I have and and feel comfortable with to see if it makes a difference before going out and spending time and money on something else.

11. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

Ok Pro MB it is.. Thank you I will use this info soon I'm sure. I'm getting there slowly but surely