Synthline AKAI emulations - how to use?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Bunford, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Can anybody advise me on how to use these?

I have downloaded some from the sister site and they come in bin/cue formats. When i try to mount using PowerISO it says they are an unsupported/unrecognised format and i can't therefore get into them.

Would appreciate some help on howto use these.

Cheers!

3. clem

clem Member

I've always used CDXtract which should be in the sister site's archives (use the search function). There are other ways but I can't think of them at the moment.

4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Use Chicken Systems Translator or CDXtract

5. Batoumba

Batoumba Producer

for bin/cue you can use any version of Daemon Tools , though i suggest getting the free for life MagicISO/MagicDisc 2.7 http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm?=mdisc_hlp106

Remember when mounting with it , to mount the small .cue file not the bin , after that you got an AKAI CD loaded in your virtual cd tray which as the friends above recommended chicken translator and CDXtract are the best options imo to get those samples

6. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Tried Daemon Tools and PowerISO and neither work with it for some reason?!?!

7. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Got this andtried it. Worked for first two or three, but then doesn't seem to recognise the partitions in ones from then on for some reason?!?!

8. Batoumba

Batoumba Producer

this is a longshot but could it be that the bin or cue file are corrupt ? Can you try redownloading them and make sure its a 100% d/l ? If packed , does 7zip or winRaR give you any errors while extracting ?

9. VIVIsect

VIVIsect Ultrasonic

For Akai discs, I always mount the .cue with Alcohol. Open Kontakt, click on the Files tab and you'll see the disc mounted. Then you can convert the disc with Kontakt.

Alot of these Akai discs will have empty partitions. They'll just show up as empty folders.

10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

All were downloaded same time from same source, so would be odd for first few to work fine and rest be corrupt.

Also when i use 7zip etc I get unrecognised format error.

11. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I usually convert these to ISO format using the "binchunker".
    It's a very handy tool that can also extract WAV tracks from audio CD images.
    Command: bchunk akai.bin akai.cue akai

Mounting ISO somehow works much better for me than CUE/BIN.
    My first try is always to open Kontakt after mounting the ISO, otherwise there's CDXtract, Extreme Sample Converter and ChickenSys Translator.
    Note that you have to *mount*, not *open* the ISO file in order for Kontakt to see the image on the bottom of the file browser.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  12. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I think these may have been corrupted. They were downloaded from Uploaded links on the sister site. Got them from another source and they worked fine with CDXtract4.5, albeit with some of the synths missing that are on the sister site annoyingly!

Once I have extracted the partitions and created Kontakt library out of them, is it ok to rearrange the partitions I assume? By that I mean put all the .nki files in an instruments folder in the root folder, and put the partition folders with the .wav files in them in a samples folder, so i can then create a .nicnt using one of the tools and then add as a library in Kontakt.

13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@Bunford nice to see you are having a go at these akai disks.. I have had very little luck with them as well.
    there are many I would like to try, but they never seemed to translate very well.

Can't remember much about it now, as I pretty much abandoned it after I found I could not get a quality instrument output
    even when I finally got it loaded into Kontakt.. will be interesting to see what you come up with..

@fiction you are converting to iso with "binchunker" in Linux, then taking the image back to Windows?
    you got good results with Kontakt afterwards?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2016
  14. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Yes, that's one way to do it (you can have a very small Linux virtual machine on your Windows box and save the ISO directly to your Windows drive).
    I do use bchunk on Mac (got it from homebrew), then mount the iso and open in Kontakt.
    (If you're on Windows, you can use the 32bit Windows version from here.)
    EDIT: Direct download of Windows version
    I would however recommend the Windows way because you'll have CDXtract, ExTranslator and Chickensys Translator to do all kinds of conversions. And if you use the tool from the link above, you can do everything under Windows.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  15. beatroot

beatroot Producer

Hi Bunford.As far as I know Bin /cue files can be mounted and extracted,using Alcohol 120 or Power ISO/Magic Iso etc .However ,in case it can be mounted using Cdextract.You have to extract partitions one by one renaming each partition AFTER you extract that particular partition.Like extract partition A name it just a numeral 1.Then partition B to 2 etc.You could name it again properly after finishing the whole process.Its a bit tricky at first but you will get used to it.For some reason CDextract sees some partitions as a duplicate so it does not extract it and you get only an empty folder.In some cases the last partitions refuse to extract..I am on mac now so this is all I can remember about doing that on windows.Cheers.:wink: