Synthesizer specifically for Pads?

Discussion in 'Synthesizers' started by Metrraalex, Sep 3, 2023.

1. Metrraalex

Metrraalex Noisemaker

More questions for the forum.
    What would be the digital, analog, hybrid synthesizers specialized in Pads that you can currently get, whether they are old or new, but that really have a good performance in sound quality, the creation of pads, or in your sound bank.

Maybe at the time Oberheim?, Roland jd 800? some of them, today is not cheap, and impractical to transport. ..

Of course also question the Quality - Price of the device

I wait for answers.

[​IMG]

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Omnisphere, Spire, Serum, Sylenth1, Zebra, Repro5, Diva, Hive, Alchemy, etc

4. Metrraalex

Metrraalex Noisemaker

I mean a physical synthesizer, not a vsti plugin

5. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

Maybe something from Waldorf or Clavia

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
  6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

all Waldorf synths, Novation Nova family, Access Virus family, etc

7. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Arturia Polybrute is wonderful for pads. The mod matrix keeps it moving as well as the other control mechanisms. Hit the hold button then wiggle, push to keep it interesting. I'm so glad that I splurged.

8. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Old: Korg Wavestation
    New: Korg Wavestate
    Newer: Korg Wavestate MkII

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

All of them?? Any polysynth with two oscillators worth anything should be able to do pads easily.

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

ASM Hydrasynth. it's very nice for pads. If you want thin, digital, evolving pad sounds; check one out.

i can't see buying a hw synth specifically for pad sounds. Playing whole note chords doesn't have that sort of appeal to me.

12. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

The Wavestate is hard to beat in its flexibility for the price.
    If you want it even cheaper then look at the Waldorf blofeld.
    Both can load user samples if you need a very specific pad sound.

13. E.C.R

E.C.R Platinum Record

pads-Udo Super 6 or Sequential take 5 for less and even better cost is the Hydrasynth explorer with mini keys

14. macros mk2

macros mk2 Platinum Record

the secret to great pads is sampling it into the mpc

15. 8bits

8bits Producer

I would go for the second hand Waldorf M

Is digital OSC generator (double) with Analog FIlter and VCA, it emulates very well the old Microwave1 and some of the Microwave 2, you will get in to the the nice wavetable synthesis world )8 and 16 bits), load/import wavetables also from serum and more (just convert them via pc/mac), you can go over the usual static sound in harmonic or a sweep filter harmonic...with wavetable u can move in any wave of the table and get a fantastic moving organic sound, adding then the fantastic sound of the analog filter (SSI 2144), sounds very nice with a quite good resonance and VCA!!!! Very good on BASS ...yes u can get very nnice basses, saturation and so on!
    Lack of internal FX (u can always track it via daw adding the most beautifull Valhalla reverbs and some nice chorus fx..i like UVI Thorus).
    Only 8 voices polyphony but you can add 8 voice expansion card.
    You can find second hand easily...at least at reverb 1300/1400 euro.
    You will tell me. "..ah i dont need it, i have serum..."; Man...it does not sound like a digital pseudo hot serum...it does sound organic alive and hot and what is not easy with digital virtual instruments...STAY PERFECT IN MIX, I do own one in my studio expanded to 16 voice, i do own also a wave a microwave rev a and an XT and it sounds quite different (filters-vca-osc emulation...) I use it in most pads and dreams scenarios layered with some analog pads from most expensive synths but you can use to layer also with your pref virtuals (Omnisphere most) and now to me the new Cherry Audio Harmonia is the new sound of this end of 2023!
    Youtube some demos of waldorf M and you will get it....
    Hope it helps.
    KK

16. swqw

swqw Member

The DeepMind is perfect for Pads. And you got a lot of beautifuls soundset for Pads.
    I've got mine in second hand for 500 €.

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

Did you get around to checking out the Vavra (dsp56300) microQ emulator yet? it's v. nice. I haven't turned on the hw one in weeks, if not already months. It has a blinking red (power) LED that cannot be turned off if the unit has power connected. lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

The MicroQ and any variation of the Microwave couldn't be more farther apart in terms of sound heh.The MicroQ was a 'virtual analog', sold mine years ago cause it was as plain as everything else (and the OS was never even finished on it, mod matrix is broken of all things), but the Microwave sounds like nothing else. I've had that ugly orange beast for 23 years and will never replace it, unless I sell it and buy a brand new Waldorf M instead (which is more like a Microwave 1 with some token Microwave 2/XT bits thrown in). Hopefully one day they get the Microwave side of the emulator working..

19. clone

clone Audiosexual

His post mentioned Waldorf and emulation so it reminded me of the microQ emulator. It's nicely done, and has effects. It's free, and I think the original question is almost nuts. Buying any synth for solely making pads isn't something I would ever recommend anyone do to the tune of 1500 bucks. I might keep in mind I would like to be able to make pad sounds, but it would not drive the purchase of any hw synth. It could rule out a monophonic synth though, as an example. It wouldn't help me pick one at all; it would just be a bonus. If I was making music like ambient, etc. it might weigh in more heavily.

I might be more likely to look at the list of Hardware Profiled synths in Omnisphere for consideration. Polyphony wouldn't even matter since you can just use a chord trigger mfx.

20. macros mk2

macros mk2 Platinum Record

agree about the vavra- I don't have the hw ... I mean I do of course.... but good to hear it's so on point. sounds amazing plus you can get the ugliest skin ever for it, windows 95 style haha. on the discord if anyone is curious!