Synesthesia: what do you know about seeing colors in music?

Discussion in 'Education' started by diego018, Jan 6, 2012.

1. diego018

diego018 Newbie

Do you know something about seeing colors in music? im interested in more about this, since it would be great to create songs that generate this awesome experience.
    I want to know if each note has it's own color, if some frequencies are more colorful, etc.. any detail would be great.

i remember seeing colors while i was hearing music a year ago, but the experience was so great that i couldn't take the time to take notes and stuff.

3. obscure

obscure Newbie

your experience a year ago was due to the drugs in your system :sad: , right? if you were really a synthete, you would have been experiencing color association with sound from birth. (or maybe you did have it, who am i to say?)

that being said, real people who have this uh .. ability .. all have their own sets of associated colors for the different pitches they hear.
    The colors vary for each person, so you can't actually make a song that will create a common experience among people with synesthesia.

4. svmiller

svmiller Newbie

I almost can visualize a green colour listening to 'I remember - Deadmau5 & Kaskade', and some sort of red with FML and strobe, from Deadmau5... I also get some sort of red and black with 'The devils den - Skrillex & Wolfgang Gartner'. Some sort of blue/greenish with 'Undertaker - Wolfgang Gartner'.
    Some kind of purple/violet with 'Fire power - Wolfgang Gartner', and some sort of yellowish with 'What else is there? - Royksopp'...

So yes, it does happen to me...
    Take a listen to some of the tracks I mentioned and tellme if you defer with the colours, or if they are the same...

I found on audioz an e-book, wich I don't remember the title, about how music is used as therapy, or something like that, and It talked about it a little...

(No drugs)

Cheers

5. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

I did once have an amazing synesthesia experience, and Yes, it was whilst under, or maybe that should be OVER, the influence of an MDMA and Ketamine mix, known at the time as SNOWBALLS!

Not only did I visualize the colours of the Music, it was early Drum & Bass/ Jungle, Summer of 1993. I perceived each different sound as having a Mass as well as a colour. Each sound, Hats for example, formed a shape which then moved around a central mass, the bass. So, the bass was a Huge undulating spheroid-esque shape that pulsated, the hats were smaller, kinda " shaped which spun around the central bass, with the snare being a spike, etc.

The entire ensemble moved and breathed with music, pulsating, the colours perfectly represented the varying tones and frequencies. Obvious statement: Man, it was Beautiful and it was Amazing. Never had the likes since, the experience, or the drugs. I fortunately gave that ALL up Years ago.

However, having seen this just once gave Me another way in which to perceive Music.

Remember, DRUGS IS BAD! For every positive, there is said to be a negative. Stay safe, stay..........

Errrrrrrrrrrm, what was I saying?

6. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

Just leave out "es": Synthesia.
    There are colors, there is music, everything you need. :)

7. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

8. mephisto

mephisto Newbie

you make it sound as if it would be an asset, when it is actually a serious problem.
    It's a neurological condition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia
    In layman's terms; a disease.

Bruce Swedien, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Swedien
    one of the most famous sound engineers, has had to overcome it to be able to work

Be careful what you wish for.

He actually talks about it in this video somewhere
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esmo1BxNkjI

And what would be the point anyway, even if you could/would be experiencing it, your listeners wouldn't.
    I think you're mixing up and confusing a couple of things here.

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I have mild synesthesia (seeing colors, shapes and textures) when hearing sounds. It's not drastic. It has helped me alot, in both my graphical work and sound design/sound engineering.

I guess I have ADHD too (not diagnosed though), but since it's only worked for my benifit (money, touring, joy, excitement, pride, etc) I can't complain.

10. ratox

ratox Noisemaker

As long as i can experience, Messiaen and Skriabin had their connection between colors and notes. I also do. this is my list:

C=White
    C#=Gray/Black (Depends on the harmony, since colors have different connection for me according to their Harmonic context)
    Db=Light Green
    D=Green
    Eb=Lighter Blue
    E=Blue
    E#=Brown
    F=Yellow
    F#=Dark Yellow
    Gb=Light Red (somewhat yellowish)
    G=Red
    G#=Dark Red (Somewhat Brownish)
    A=Yellow
    B=red

11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Then I guess you have perfect pitch as well. Otherwise I call it BS.

12. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

i know that Slipknot's drummer sees music in colors;
    also, a great russian classical composer Alexander Scriabin saw it the same way...

very interesting indeed.

13. lukie

lukie Newbie

@ Pliz971

MMMMMMMMM SNOWBALLS.

But i don't think there was any Ketamine them because i got busted outside a nightclub in Stoke and Staffordshire police said they was pure MDMA, And they gave me a £600 fine for two of them

14. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

You can read the book:

MUSICOPHILIA - Oliver Sacks

Every person hear and see different.
    How can evaluate if the blue i see, is the same blue that you see?
    The same with the sounds.

A way to have the relation above sound and color is multiply the frequency of the sound till the human vision (different wave scale)
    Sound and light share the fundamental nature of vibration. And, even though the sounds we can hear have a much lower frequency than light that is visible to us, there is a range of sound frequencies that have corresponding consonant colors.

http://www.flutopedia.com/sound_color.htm
    no works on FIREFOX !!!

Another calculator(no color):
    calculator-wavelength

More stuff:

Visual Music
    Visual Music 2
    Color Music
    music and colour
    Color Scales
    lucytune.com

15. diego018

diego018 Newbie

no its not a disease man, for some people it might be not what they want and consider it a disease, but for some others it's a enjoyable experience.

and of course it would help haha it would be like having 3d studio monitors to form shapes in sound and that. even if people couldnt see it as you they would hear it.

16. obscure

obscure Newbie

I wouldn't really care if I had it, but I guess it might become annoyingly distracting?

Like those times when you're trying to remember something important but other things just pop up in your mind, or when you're trying to solve a problem but the thing right in front of you is too distracting...something like that :D

What a pain..and you can't even turn it off!