Syncing bluetooth and wired speakers on Windows

Discussion in 'PC' started by RMorgan, Apr 29, 2022.

1. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Hey guys, gals, and everyone in between, I hope you're all doing great.

A friend of mine is trying to setup his Windows 11 system using both wired and bluetooth speakers, mostly for watching movies.

However, obviously, there's a big latency issue between the speakers, and the audio won't sync.

He asked if there's any workaround for that, but honestly, I have no idea. I tried to find a solution on Google, with no success.

So, do you know if it's possible to solve this issue? I think it's unlikely, but who knows, it's windows...There are workarounds for almost anything out there.

Thank you in advance, and I wish you all a great weekend.

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Here's what you should look for in Bluetooth headphones

Tip 1 - Pay attention to the Bluetooth wireless standard. If you decide on a new Bluetooth headphone, it should have the latest Bluetooth 5.0. However, you will only benefit from faster and better data transfer if your source device (smartphone, tablet, computer) also has the latest Bluetooth standard. Otherwise, it will always transmit in the slower of the two versions.

Tip 2 - Pay attention to the support of the sound code AptX, AptX HD. Both provide excellent audio quality and low latency. It is even better if the headphones support the latest versions AptX Low Latency or AptX Adaptive. These provide the lowest delay in audio transmission. They are particularly well suited for gamers.
    Unfortunately, iPhones, iPads and Apple's AirPods do not support any of the AptX standards, but rely on a so-called AAC codec, which is also integrated by other manufacturers like Bose and Sony, among many other codes.

Tip 3 - Avoid devices (both sources and headphones) that only support the outdated SBC Bluetooth standard.

Tip 4 - When buying new Bluetooth headphones, test whether you can play back the sound, especially from YouTube, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, without any visible delay. If both the source device and the headphones, meet the criteria mentioned in tips 1 and 2 and there are still problems, it can really only be a fault with the headphones. Some manufacturers can fix this with a software update, like Bose does with its SoundSport Free in-ears.
    If you notice such a problem, it is best to contact the manufacturer's customer service. If they can't fix the asynchrony, you may have to choose a different model. However, keep in mind that an outdated Bluetooth standard in their source device can also be the cause of the delayed sound playback.

Tip 5 - Another reason for audio delay can be the app or streaming portal you are using. Here, you should make sure that you are using the latest versions of the apps and programs. In addition, sometimes small tricks also help. Especially on Apple devices, for example, videos are played better via the Safari browser than in Google Chrome, for example. If you have an audio delay in the YouTube app, then call up the video in the Safari browser. This can already bring a significant improvement.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  4. chuckens

chuckens Ultrasonic

He's trying to sync a bluetooth speaker and second output to speakers.
    Have a look at this

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

That's why the sound is asynchronous with Bluetooth headphones.

The main reason for the delayed transmission of the sound to the headphones is often an outdated Bluetooth standard, but also the complicated transmission path of the sound, especially with true wireless in-ears. In addition, the video source - for example, the YouTube app, the browser or an old smartphone - can be the culprit.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  6. recycle

recycle Guest

Yes, unfortunately latency is an issue when it comes to bluetooth, depending on the type of devices it can be more or less prominent. While this may not be a problem when listening to an audio file, it becomes an annoying problem when you need an audio/video sync or, as in your case, wired/bluetooth speaker connection.
    The only (unpractical) solution that comes to my mind is to insert a delay on the wired signal using a virtual cable app, I've never tried to do this, but it could work.

Note:
    The standard bluetooth system uses audio compression which degrades the signal: using wireless transmissions in recording studio is not recommended. Lately, a new Bluetooth HD protocol is being used and it sounds better, but it is only available on latest generation devices.

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Bluetooth is consumer/budget gear. It has latency and lossy quality. It's not supposed to be used in a professional (low latency) environment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

True
    One should just get rid of that BT crap when he loves his ears and precious time.

Trying to synchronize BT audio with the audio output makes as much sense as synching my analog wristwatch that no longer runs with my radio-controlled one. Twice a day they are in perfect sync with eachother. For a second.

BT is good enough for Telephone headset and not really more.
    https://www.soundguys.com/5-reasons-not-to-buy-bluetooth-headphones-12150/

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  9. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

I'm guessing his friend is not a audio/music guy and just wants to use all the different speakers he has simultaneously for more POWAH!

I have no idea how to sync regular wired speakers and bluetooth speakers. I would never even have the idea to use them together so.

@RMorgan How is he able to use both the regular speakers as system output and the bluetooth speakers at the same time? Windows, and most integrated sound cards, usually forces you to pick just one device/output for your audio so I'm just wondering. Are bluetooth speakers not recognized by the system in the same way as analog ports?

10. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

The only way to achieve this is to delay the wired speakers to match the other speakers and the environment. There are ways to do this, but it's really up to him to find out the right delay amount.

11. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

1 Wire the BT speakers
    OR
    2 BT the wired speakers with BT dongle
    Alibaba

2 is not perfect, because chip being different ... latency too

12. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I really wonder how many are not reading the OP properly.
    The questions is not how to connect any of these but how to
    them for
    No mentioning of audio, studio or pro-something.

As @phumb-reh already said, the only way is to delay the wired ones in the player. Then ofc, both pairs wouldn't be in sync with the picture anymore, but that's the case for bluetooth monitors anyways.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. recycle

recycle Guest

Ok, I did some tests on my bluetooth boombox speaker: I connected it to computer, played a file from daw and recorded the sound of speaker with a mic into daw again:

[​IMG]

Latency: shortest is 99ms and up to 150ms, this values randomly change everytime bluetooth is disconnected and connected again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Yes, that's exactly the issue. Thanks for making these tests.

Personally, I don't think it can be fixed, unless there's software that can intelligently compensate for the variable latency somehow.

15. xorome

xorome Audiosexual