Synapse Audio releases Dune 3

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Riansky, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Riansky

Riansky Kapellmeister

[​IMG]
    A major evolution of DUNE is finally available: DUNE 3! The new version adds many frequently requested features and comes with a new beautiful Full HD skin (in various sizes)!

Link to the product page:
    https://www.synapse-audio.com/dune3.html

Screenshots (Large size):
    https://www.synapse-audio.com/layout/sc ... .oscva.jpg [Main View/Keyboard]
    https://www.synapse-audio.com/layout/sc ... rpmseg.jpg [Arp/MSEG]

Dual filter

The revised filter section in Dune 3 now sports a dual multimode filter plus an insert effect. Different routing modes like serial/parallel and seamless blend via the Balance knob allow for unlimited creative input! New filter types have been added as well, and include zero-delay feedback filters derived from our latest analog modeling technology. For creative applications, new insert effects like the formant/vowel filter or phaser greatly increase the range of sound design possibilities.

Dual Arpeggiator

Two arpeggiator units instead of just one greatly increase the sound design capabilities of DUNE 3. The Arpeggiators can be programmed independently and support both classic Up/Down arps, as well as playing back different sequences or even MIDI files. Furthermore, new features like the Random mode or programmable Arp Hold make the arpeggiator more powerful than ever before!

Improved oscillators

At the heart of DUNE 3 are its powerful oscillator blocks. DUNE 3 supports VA, FM and Wavetable synthesis. With a maximum reserve of 8320 oscillators at full polyphony, DUNE 3 is a true unison monster, unlikely to ever run out of oscillators. New in DUNE 3 is the "Swarm" mode, an evolution of the classic Supersaw oscillator. Each oscillator gets its own subtle modulation in this mode, breathing a lot more life into the sound than possible previously!

Lots of new FX

DUNE 3 offers many new effect algorithms in all categories, Distortion, Dynamics, Chorus, Phaser, EQ, Delay and Reverb. One of the most important additions is the new Equalizer, which sports technology from our GQ-7 Graphic Equalizer rack extension.

[​IMG]

Designed as a professional mixing and mastering equalizer, the new EQ offers four bands with high-quality parametric and shelving EQs, plus two additional low- and high cut filters with variable slopes. All filters in the EQ are designed to handle modulation without artifacts, such that the EQ can be used for creative purposes outside the realm of traditional EQ applications.

Another great new effect algorithm is the new Shimmer Hall, an exclusive feature of DUNE 3 - ideal for lush ambient sounds, wonderful pads and leads!

Wavetable Editor

[​IMG]

The new Wavetable editor introduced in DUNE 3 is one of the most powerful around. Waveforms can be created via free-hand drawing, segments, a dedicated partial editor or by entering formulas. A variety of functions like morphing, fade in/out, normalize, DC remove, Invert/Reverse make creating new wavetables a breeze. Waveforms and Wavetables can be imported and exported in WAV format and are thus compatible with a wide range of third party software.

Many detail improvements

Other than the major features, DUNE 3 comes with many detail improvements, such as:
    • Undo/Redo for patch editing, as well as the Wavetable Editor
    • MSEG Presets
    • HD Skins
    • Improved polyphonic LFOs, the LFO phase is no longer fixed to zero on each keypress
    • New LFO shape "Random Pulse". Similar to S+H, but random in time
    • "Alternate" source in the Mod Matrix which toggles its state on each keypress
    • "FX Chain Pan" destination in the Mod Matrix allows to pan the two effect busses
    • Performance improvements, some DUNE 2 patches need substantially less CPU
    NKS Approved

Like its predecessor, DUNE 3 is NKS-ready. It features support for the LightGuide and its factory library is automatically integrated into Maschine, Komplete Kontrol etc., with all presets properly tagged and a custom parameter map.

DUNE 2 compatibility

Despite the many additions, DUNE 3 is fully patch-compatible with DUNE 2 and contains its entire factory library. Now the total factory library exceeds 1000 patches, all nicely sorted into categories like Arp, Bass, Lead, Pads, Textures etc.

Formats & Pricing

DUNE 3 is available in VST, Audio Unit (32-bit, 64-bit) and AAX (64-bit) formats, for Windows and OS X. It can be purchased for $179 on our shop page, DUNE 2 users can upgrade for only $79:
    https://www.synapse-audio.com/shop.html

As always a free 30-day trial is available on the product page:
    https://www.synapse-audio.com/dune3.html

• Like Like x 6
    • Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. DJK

DJK Rock Star

they took the vid down lol

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Ankit

Ankit Guest

OMG... I was excited for this release.:metal:

New swarm mode in osc is good. 8 voices can sound like 32 voices (in linear mode). Wow... Filter section is hugely improved as well as effects section.
    Hugely improved Wavetable section similar to Serum.

No drag and drop modulation... it's almost 2019. FM Oscillators got no love. Otherwise a huge improvement over Dune 2.

"Some patches made in Dune 2 can still see a 10-15% saving in CPU demand, however" Most efficient synth got cpu improvements?? BTW I haven't noticed cpu improvements demo. Almost same. 1-2 percent up or down when compared to version 2.

Can you throw Serum away now? No, Not completely. But with this release spire is completely overtaken by what Dune 3 can do.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2018
  5. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

wow this update is just unbelievable , one of the top plugin for sure.
    I always big fan of DUNE and this update step level up ,

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

still no search function for the presets?

7. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

"DUNE 2 users can upgrade for only $79,00"... ~€69,00

OK :wink:

8. Caldera

Caldera Producer

Real deception imho! Nothing really new under the hood. Ok make your own wavetables. Be honest: Who is actually waiting for this implementation? I hoped on more oscillator tweaking like Parawave Rapid or Avenger. €79 for the update is well overpriced if you ask me. Sorry guys at Synapse...

9. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

It's a shame that they kept this shitty menu for selecting wavetables that is horrible to use when you have tons of 3rd party wavetables.
    They should improve the arpeggiator if they don't have done it,which is a pain in the ass to use in Dune2 too.

10. Zoom Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Zoom Ultrasonic

11. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

you just need to press on the title of the preset
    you see the name of the preset? just press on it and you will see the list !

12. tori

tori Platinum Record

Dune 3 sounds really good when you play it alone, but my problem with Dune is, that i dont like the presets, they mostly sound so over the top and the first thing you do is to disable the fx especially the reverb. Hive has many more useful presets in my opinion. But when u make your sounds yourself its not such a big deal i guess.

13. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

It's not that a search function.

14. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

I agree,the presets are overhyped,almost all for Trance(and I doubt this music genre represents most of users) and too much FXs!!!
    Another thing,I don't find the filters very good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  15. tori

tori Platinum Record

Even for trance it's too much, you just can't mix it properly if u dont turn off the fx. Synapse Audio did a really good job with the "the legend" presets... so why did they do this reverb fx bullshit thing with dune? Trance isnt even so popular atm

16. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Hm, most presets these days are like this. It's not something specific concerning only Dune.
    They did a bad job, showcasing what the synth can do, because the factory presets were mostly trancy type synths and 80s analogue type material.
    Even dune 2 could do (if you made your own wavetables in a external tool) modern (electro or dubstep etc) or oldschool (late 80s-early 90s) digital sounds, I don't know why people are complaining.
    To my ears the sound of the synth is exceptionally good and inspiring.
    Still, it doesn't feel like a new major version, but more like a cashgrab update.

17. tori

tori Platinum Record

Ur right, but its not really appealing to see only sounds you cant even use.If you are not that good with synths you dont really know... I guess Dune is for sure good for own patches but most of the (factory) presets are not really useable. I think thats not so..good

Sadly many Synth Programmers and sometimes preset dudes become like this, the often want just to show off, making useable sounds seems not that important