Symphony of Science - the Quantum World! MUSIC

Discussion in 'Music' started by Medrewb, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

I have to share this to you guys. This is so creative and fantastic !!!

[media]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZGINaRUEkU
    [/media]

3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Good video indeed.
    It would be interesting to get an energic remix of it, and I would have liked more of Morgan Freeman voice, I love his sound.

There is one phrase that I totally disagree: "We need a theory of everything." Do we really need it?
    When you are in the water, you don't need to understand the water to swim.
    Cant we just swim into the flow of life feeling it?

4. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

I agree with you Olymoon. Good point.
    I have a fridge in my house and I use it everday. But I can't explain how it uses electricity to make ice. I don't know, because I don't need it, not my business.
    Still, we need some theories to see what we are in this cosmos. To make some guesses about future, to understand how universe works. Especially for the people who are in that business. But I say it's ok if somebody doesn't care or wonder about it.

5. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

when in water, in order to swim, you need to learn how to swim :mates:

6. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

"But I say it's ok if somebody doesn't care or wonder about it. " I agree with you, and I do care and wonder about it, but we don't need it.

"when you are in water, in order to swim, you need to learn how to swim" Yes , but you don't need to understand how water particles work for that.

Don't misunderstand me, I do care and wonder about all this, and I watch these reportage on TV, but this, even if new, is still a material analysis of the universe, and when Stephen Hawkins, who I certainly respect a lot, says "we need a theory for the last triumph of science", I cant help to think he is fooling himself as this will not make more sense to our lives.

This is the quest of how, and it's oriented theoretically, that mean putting things into boxes that we can manage (With our litle brains that we are so sure they are superior).
    (Theory: a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.)
    Maybe there are other ways to understand, by instead, of trying to dissect, just accept them, flow with them, feel them, just like when you swim you have to feel the water, you know what's going on, but this approach is not being tried in our society.

And anyway, it's interesting, but it's only the how, not the why, and maybe there is not any answer to the why, maybe we have to learn to live with unanswered questions, instead of being so pretentious to think that because we need a theory, a reason there must be one. The whole universe is not spinning around human necessities.

7. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

I wasn't dissing you, human nature tells us to be inquisitive, it's part of our evolution process (and a very strong one). As you said theories are written to understand how things work, sometimes theories can be wrong but then they get amended or corrected, as our knowledge/understanding improves :mates:

8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

But it's not the only way.

9. Revirau

Revirau Kapellmeister

I advice you to read this book: "The imaginary institution of society", by Cornelius Castoriadis. It might help you with those kind of problems, although it's not an easy one.

10. Pict

Pict Newbie

"Theory informs practice convinces" I don't know who originally came up with that quote I got it from George Bain's book on Pictish art.Even if all this knowledge had no practical application the act of trying to understand it develops our brains.We feel and experience reality constantly it's our understanding of reality that is our weakness.If we could prove to all the poor befuddled masses that there are no Gods,but simply forces of nature I think our species would take a giant step forward.

By the way sirsillysausage (I'm not trying to be a smart arse but) it's a BRAW bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht.BRAW is the Scots word for good,fine,first rate etc from the Gàidhlig(Scottish Gaelic) word Brèagh which means fine,handsome also in Norway and Sweden they have the word Bra which is pronounced very similarly to the Scots braw.The vikings probably introduced the word to the Scots and Irish.:)

many are chosen few are PICT.

11. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

The theory of everything is the balance equation between the 4 forces . Gravitational force, Electro-Magnetic Force, Weak Force and Strong Force. I believe these forces should be there in the universe in the same quantity but scientist said that Gravity is very less as compared to the other forces in our universe, so they are trying to find the THEORY OF EVERYTHING i guess :dunno: :rofl:

12. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

"Scientists said that Gravity is very less as compared to the other forces in our universe!"

Kinda shows that for all our theories and imaginings, we may just have it ALL wrong. :(

Wal Thornhill and the Thunderbolt Project (Web Site) (Youtube) are looking at the universe and how it is held together in a much different way than the standard gravity collecting dirt theory. Maybe they also have it wrong, but, when you look at the comparative strengths of gravity over distance, it does kinda make the current "accepted" model almost laughable. :wow:

The more we see and learn, the more we see and learn how little we understand. :dunno:

Intelligent design? :wink:

Great topic and video Andrew. :mates:

13. tjgoa

tjgoa Ultrasonic

This are all theories just to point out, and all theories are always revised or replaced with something else. Big bang for instance is just a theory, a shaky one at that, watch the documentary is everything we know about the universe wrong?. Point is, don't take all these as facts just because some scientist say so and gives you some tidbits of supporting evidence.

14. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

@Olymoon
    I read a lot in my life at the time that the stupid 300 doctors do not discover my disease.
    We really do not need almost everything but we want because humany is ambicious, curious, greed...
    For sure we have to learn to live a life with less. Image how many people have lots of thing that thet will never use in their hds? Of course the continue to download...
    Its insane right?
    In the water almost everyone start to behave like a children, doing experiments, trying to understand the water and so on...
    The phrase should be replace with want,
    We want, but we really do not need...
    Also SillySausage is a great guy and you can trust him :mates:

15. haha

haha Ultrasonic

I think he meant something different; not a theory for EVERY THING but a theory for EVERYTHING (of EVERYTHING), a theory that would be the sum of all, maybe.

16. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

:wink: the line is taken from part of the lyrics from a "famous" song of the late 1950s :bleh: thanks for spotting the typo :mates:

17. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

You clearly don't understand what a scientific theory is then. :rofl:

You're free to do it but I do enjoy knowing something more compared to something less. Knowing how a medium-size star like the Sun works and the properties of light doesn't take anything away from the beauty of a dawn or a sunset, on the contrary you enjoy it and appreciate it more because you understand it. A little bit like a magic trick... :wink:
    I prefer by far to have a choice to know or not know something rather than living in ignorance.
    I also would love to know something more about the universe before I die frankly, but that's just me, and we, as humans, should also try to know more before the universe expand so much that it will be impossible to make any kind of further observation and scrutiny... :wink:
    Ergo I am more than willing to support even financially anybody who will shed some light on the cosmos

18. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

First off, I have to admit to crying every time I watch a symphony of science video, for its utter beauty.

"when you are in water, in order to swim, you need to learn how to swim" Yes , but you don't need to understand how water particles work for that. Olymoon, just by being in communion with the water you are understanding it. By walking you are understanding the ground. It's all a matter of how much you are understanding it. Another one: you and a friend watch a movie, and afterwards your friend asks you, "Did you understand that film? You say, "Yes I did." But did you? You may have understood what happened, but did you understand all the sub-plots? Did you know that the writer of the screenplay was gay and that some of the characterisations of men and women were biased according to his view of gender? Did you notice that the arrested rapist in the movie was brutalised much more than in the original story because the director himself was molested as a child? Did you notice all the subliminal devices of colour, shapes and lighting used to make you feel angry or happy? If you only understood the narrative, it could be argued that you didn't fully understand the film. If I know how to start my car and drive it, I can say that I know my car, but only at the shallow level of being able to operate it; there are many other ways of knowing/understanding my car. Even beyond conventional science, my car is a basic construct that is able to do things by itelf, I cannot be sure that it's not alive in some crude way with emotions.

19. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i disagree to agree. we need a theory of everything. because we need a theory, where can dervice all other theories from, this would make it easier to learn things and study problems.
    well as normal human being i agree with your opinion as physicist i do not agree, because that is really short sighted and if we thought that way we would still sit in a cave and eat food dryed over a fire.

20. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

AS I said " Don't misunderstand me, I do care and wonder about all this"
    But as Ovalf pointed, we want, but wee don't need it.

ArticStrom, you said "because that is really short sighted and if we thought that way we would still sit in a cave and eat food dryed over a fire. "but there is a time for everything. Now we understand a lot of thing, but we still don't understand how to be a group of animal able to live peacefully together and in equilibrium with the whole planet.

Again, what I pointed is the way Stephen Hawkins says "we need a theory for the last triumph of science" the triumph of science on what? Scientific knowledge we have is beyond our maturity, we are not able to handle properly the few that we know.

Is it short sited to think that what we may search is how to use what we know in a sustainable way, or do we have to go on accumulating knowledge to exploit each other and destroy the planet?

I know, it's not necessary to oppose those things, but this why I think we don't NEED a theory about the whole universe right now. This does not appear as a priority IMHO.

21. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

Triumph over ignorance as I said. Understanding of the universe can answer a lot of basic questions like were are we from or where are we going which have been the exclusive domain of philosophy or theology in the last centuries.
    It is true that a scientific progress is countered by a humanistic regress but I don't see this as a good reason to stop, on the contrary I think that more science is the answer to debilitate potential disasters.
    Also who should decide when we have enough maturity to know something? .__.