Switch to Ableton

Discussion in 'Live' started by sex!, May 20, 2022.

1. Eyaaal

Eyaaal Noisemaker

It's really funny reading all these comments.
    Some say Ableton is the best daw ever made, and some hate it.
    Personally? I love it. But it's so personal that I wouldn't suggest you listen to anybody here.

Just try them yourself and you'll know what is right for you and not someone on the forum told you.

In my opinion, start downloading logic and ableton,
    If you love one over the other, go with it.
    If you don't like either, download something else (studio one or bitwig?).
    I'm sure you will find what's best for you.

Good luck :wink:

2. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

yepp racks, Khs finally "added" it to S1 so it's also perfectly usable from now
    [​IMG]

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy Member

I know a few top producers who moved from Logic to Ableton because it's much faster workflow in Ableton, and they can get equally good results. Push 2 is an added bonus.

4. Ballz

Ballz Producer

I was having stability issues with Live 11 too. I had MSI Afterburner running in the background and that was causing the issues. I haven't had a crash since deleting Afterburner. I still prefer to mix in Reaper and produce in Live.

5. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

These crashes are because of bad plug-ins. I had the same problem. U can run Ableton Live with compatibility modes then AL sees the plug-ins which were not recognized before (I think it was SSL plugins, but it was fixed later. And I don't know if it was AL itself or the plugs who were messed up), and if u have run it in Win 8 compatibility mode u could then see these SSL plugins but then the machine ID for Addicted Drums was messed up and u were in demo mode for Addictive Drums.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

Those "bad plugins" are because you are on Windows. These would never be the experiences of a Logic user posting here. We do not get plugins with elaborate installations, our anti-malware software is not blocking us from installing things, OS updates breaking things. On and on it goes.

It's 100% a result of windows. Wether it is that everyone can easily make plugins and get people to install them on an OS where your plugins live at the dependency level .dlls, and so on. It does not matter, it does not occur to Mac Logic users. On Pc, you spend probably 75% of your time doing tech work because you are on windows.

Do you understand applications and plugins running via Rosetta on m1? It's almost like you are running them in a vm. vst2 plugins? really. You have more complaints than me about Ableton.
    But no-one seems to have any kind of issues with Logic. Guess why.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

That one is not exactly completely true Mojave had some real random crashing issues :rofl:

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

With what? I'm still using it. virus. I mean Windows little security update things. Not full OS versions, because that should be expected. Catalina was a mess, but I think this was not entirely an accident. But Logic and all it's plugins had 0 problems, of course. That's the benefit of all the users having cookie cutter hardware.

9. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I googled and took the first one that popped up and there were plenty
    - No O/S is trouble free from crashing for every person on the planet.
    EMAGIC made their apps out of steel so you are right there.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250440115

10. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

Yes because Logic is less sophisticated than AL. Yes, Windows has its problems. But M1 had also its problems at the beginning. And I know people whose Macs were crashing also. Yes, Windows is very old and has issues from the beginning. But it's not as bad as Mac users think ;)
    But I would never pay 2,5x the price for a Mac. With a PC u can tweak everything. But Mac is restricted to do anything. It's like buying a cellphone. U get it as a full package and u cant change the CPU, mainboard, GPU, RAM, etc. And I don't like to be forced for anything.
    But it's fun to see that the world economy is based on people's ignorance. Some people want a full system and don't want to mess up by tweaking it. Me either, if it comes to other things. But with computers, I do for 30 years, so it's not a big deal 4 me.

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

It's easy to think something is sophisticated when you pile some Max modulators in there. It makes the external hardware latency compensation work correctly? Version what #?

By that measure (of toys) he may as well just go back to FL. I'm not even sure we will have this conversation in 6 months, when almost all of you are running Cubase. Which is probably why Steimy made it so easy for them to crack. So you get a dose.

12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

All prejudice and half-knowledge. Stick to your Mac and Logic, because you know something about it. You are a dogmatist.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. clone

clone Audiosexual

Who in 2022 does not know windows? pc hardware. etc. Is that what the original poster asked about? But you guys trying to talk about Macs for audio production with 0 experience using either program? As knowledgable pc Audio people, you will really tell me that you prefer running Ableton over Cubase? I do not think so. I give you more credit than that.

14. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

I worked with Cubase. It's almost 30 years old (I had it even on my Atari ST and the name was not Cubase but Steinberg 24). I also had the 5'er version. It's just too complicated and laborious.

15. trz303

trz303 Producer

Just like everything in life : choice is a matter of personal taste.
    You need to try by yourself !
    I use Ableton since v1, very intuitive for me, but I also use Cubase, Reason from time to time.
    Advanced midi features are probably easier with Cubase while jammin' and live scenarios are a go for Ableton.

16. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I have tested almost all DAW's. I have chosen Studio One, mainly because of the workflow and it has a real HDPI resolution for 4K monitors.
    I started with Windows 95, then Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Everyone can choose the DAW that works best for them today. Some are happy with Reaper, some with FL Studio, some with Studio One and some with Ableton. Bandlab - Cakewalk is even free.

I was a big fan of Cakewalk - Sonar, I still use it today for plugins that are not 4K ready. Also Sonar has a 32 bit plugins integration, so I can play my old favorites too.

17. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hi @sex!, actually you should buy it, currently it costs 178 euros with lifetime updates that cost nothing. Who has no money uses cracked software. Fl Studio is pattern based and a change is of course a big change.Best you install the times and see if you get along with it. Ableton is used by many musicians, especially live musicians often use Ableton. It's not very complicated, you like it or you don't like it.

Alernative: Studio One on M1 Macs-what you need to know!
    https://blog.presonus.com/2021/09/20/studio-one-m1-macs-need-know/

18. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I am going to answer this as a Workflow user of Cubase, ProTools, Logic and Studio One. Some I had to learn as I use Cubase and PT mainly...
    I have used and dabbled in Ableton. I went in without a manual first and found it pretty quick to learn. I won't change or prefer it over Cubase but I definitely can see the attraction. It is laid out for today's modern dance musicians, loop makers and live performers.
    It is not workflow based so stacking it up against Workflow-based DAW's seems not a good comparison. However, for purely live performers I think it might be more user-friendly for creating performance tracks for a gig/concert. For a fully-fledged recording studio with rooms, patchbays, dual multi-track desks and piles of outboard gear, analog to digital routing, no I would not choose it over Logic, PT or Cubase.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. flush with your foot

flush with your foot Platinum Record

hi, i tried FL years ago, i stopped using it quickly, too much toy for my taste, i tried, Live and i stayed there, though i was a Notator user (now Logic), i like the arrangement/clips mix, the midi programming is correct, the audio programming and editing excellent, you can develop a lot of ideas with onboard tools, nothing to do with Logic, Reaper, PL. ..and all the rest... which are excellent daws, but nothing like Live.
    Take your time to try it out, and watch the videos offered for the first time!
    I hope I answered your question and your needs.....

• List
  20. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

I would agree that Ableton has one of the quickest workflows, at least when it comes to producing sample and synth based music. However, as soon as you get into the mixing stage or want to do comprehensive MIDI and audio editing, Logic is vastly superior.

So it really depends if you need a DAW that can handle the complete production process or just one that is easy to quickly create a piece of (electronic, meaning all genres that evolve around MIDI, synths, samples etc.) music with. If the latter is all you need, I would definitely recommend Ableton. If you want a general-purpose DAW that does it all and you are already on a Mac, I would definitely recommend Logic. Logic has so much bang-for-the-buck (perfect suite of stock effects, instruments and samples).

• List