Switch From PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by CremeBrulée, May 9, 2022.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

principles are same, but:

plugin files and programs are different, plugin locations are different, means you need everything for MacOS "again",
    only exception are sound libraries like Kontakt stuff, Omnisphere etc..., which seem to be multiplatform,

Reaper is rock solid, actually it supports proper Dark Mode (unlike Windows version), SWS (MacOS version) works, JS plugins and ReaPack too,
    sometimes, if you may need to run Windows-based apps, I recommend Crossover app for that, or full-blown virtualization use Parallels,
    forget about BootCamp Windows, you can't run it simultaneously with MacOS,
    Windows-formatted drives (NTFS) are not write-able from MacOS, unless you get some app like Tuxera NTFS,
    blocking internet access of individual apps is better done by using something like LittleSnitch or LULU,

with newer MacOS versions like Big Sur, there's annoying security stuff, such as Microphone access permissions to your DAW, disk/folder access permissions to your programs, DeQuarantine scripts to force MacOS into trusting downloaded files, CodeSigning to force MacOS into approving apps to let them open and run, adjustment of SIP (System Integrity Protection) to allow non-verified software and hardware to be allowed within MacOS...

@PifPafPif is right about MacOS being more and more restrictive, but I don't agree it's any worse than Windows, once you figure it out, it's pretty much all smooth until new major MacOS version rolls out (1x/year)

...now when I think about it, you should probably start clean with just Reaper, and maybe few free plugins like Analog Obsession or TDR, and learn MacOS first,
    I understand you want quickly jump back on track, but you can mess things heavily in MacOS if you start throwing random scripts and move files cluelessly (same as if you just started with Windows for first time)...
    :chilling:

2. CremeBrulée

CremeBrulée Newbie

Yeah like you said , I start clean, just FabFilter and Klanghelm mjuc , but I want to give Logic Pro X a try , pretty good FX are included in , I am in demo mode I probably will buy it at the end, I know that Reaper is good too .
    I am ready to work now !

3. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

What @clone said. Use those resources. Logic Pro is a thing of beauty. If you ever need to run Windows Software. Bootcamp or a copy of Crossover for Mac or Parallels found *elsewhere* is very nice. OpenCore Legacy Patcher even allows you to use MacOS versions beyond the one Apple “allows” you to use on your machine. My MacBookPro from Mis 2012 can supposedly run up to Catalina, but with OCLP runs BigSur and Monterey with no issues.

I hope you enjoy your experience using MacOS.

4. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

The marks of a macOS noob:

User switches over from Window to macOS and calls it OSX (it has been called macOS since 2013)
    User install cracked plugins
    Plugins don't work since user is inexperienced in using terminal >> clearly macOS'es fault
    User returns to Windows after using macOS for 10 minutes without understanding how it works. >>> clearly macOS is bad :D

I wonder how people have been making hits with Logic for the last 20 years…:rofl: