Sustain Pedal - Foot Switch - Expression Pedal

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by BEAT16, Apr 28, 2021.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Yamaha - FC 5 (Sustain Pedal) 29 €
    For electronic keyboards that have an input socket labeled “SUSTAIN”, the FC5 is used in the same way as the sustain pedal on an acoustic piano. A specially designed rubber sole sticks to the ground and stays there while you play. The FC5 can also be used as a foot switch controller for synthesizers, sound modules and drum computers. The functions depend on the device to which you connect it using its 1.2 m long cable with a mono jack plug.

Boss FS-5U (foot switch) 35 €
    The Boss FS-5U Foot Switch is a foot switch that applies an effect for as long as you hold the pedal down. So it is a momentary unlatched type switch. You connect the switch with a 6.3mm TS jack cable, to use for various audiovisual applications.

Moog - EP-3 (Expression Pedal ) 49 €
    Rugged Expression Pedal for Your Pedals and Synths
    The EP-3 is a robust and reliable universal expression pedal designed to work with any keyboard, synthesizer, or pedal with an expression or CV input. It features a newly designed cam system with extremely smooth performance and durability, a polarity switch that ensures compatibility with non-Moog products, a scalable output knob for specifying musical range, and a ¼” output jack on the front panel that allows you to use the supplied 6.5’ cable, or select a different cable length that perfectly suits your needs.

3. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

For people who do MIDI I can wholeheartedly recommend Behringer FCB1010: https://www.thomann.de/intl/behringer_fcb_1010.htm

A very versatile tool for triggering DAWs and whatnot, I use mine in Ableton to select tracks/clips, record and of course for the Looper. Also nice to have two expression pedals for FX automation/sends when playing.

It can also be coaxed to switch channels on guitar amps, but it does not send CV.

4. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

The first two are the same: the simplest non-latching footswitch. You can get them even cheaper.
    But you can also get one that looks and feels like an actual piano sustain pedal.
    I find the standard ones fine, and the throw is shorter so I can use it quicker.

The third one is more important that it's a good one, as it scrolls through for volume/swell on a Hammond, or as wah-wah, or for modulation, vibrato, or anything.
    The M-Audio are cheaper when you need to buy more than one and you're gigging a lot (wear and tear) but the Moog will be a better make.