Supernormal

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Rolma, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Rolma

Rolma Guest

Hi there,

This is my new track.It is the version with vocals, which I believe they are pretty bedroomish, no other pretentions. I have used them because a friend told me that it could be a good idea.

The tittle is supernormal, since I got the inspiration from Deirdre BarrettĀ“s book on this phenomenon. If you are interested here a link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernormal_stimulus

I also had lots of problems with my computer which in the middle of the arrangement and composition, the ssd just got one of those bad power bad cycles, easy problem to solve, although in hands of unprofessional guys this can take a whole lot of time :(

I would appreciate if you drop me some comment. Specially on the mix, sound handling, what do you think about the integration of vocals with the music etc ?
    I have my doubts, this sounds awful on the phone, but well this project is done, this fantasy is over : )

Eventually I will upload the instrumental version.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. foster911

foster911 Guest

Really makes me hot, heavy, bothered, fallen head over heels in steamy love with this one ... :hug:

You're so special.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Galactico_B

Galactico_B Ultrasonic

Hi thanks for posting.
    I think there's some good ideas in there.
    In my opinion you need to work more on phrasing and arrangement.
    At the moment all the ideas just come in and out too randomly, and also on top of each other.

At around 2 mins in was probably the best part of the track, when you let it "breathe" a bit.
    Its all about having contrast with quiet parts to more busy parts, and contrast in textures of sounds. At the moment there is too much of a good thing :winker:
    But its something a lot of beginners do - I did myself throwing too much in when I started!

You must be modelling on a certain genre; pay attention to how they phrase the track. Sections should repeat, but then with subtle differences. Try to tell a story with some progression - at the moment its unfocussed. But good ideas! :wink:

That's the most important to fix at this point and then you can look at the mixdown etc

In general the mix is not bad, the vocals fit, but I would have more weighty drums - theres certainly a lot of space from around 100Hz down

5. Darling Rolma, I have been thinking of you these last few days and you have fulfilled my wish of your once again gracing the forum with your special vibe. Wow!

I think it is a fine piece, wonderfully spacious, full, wide and deep. Maybe you need a new phone because...

I am grooving to your groovy
    Got caught up in your heat
    Now the fantasy, never ending
    Cause I keep it on repeat

Edit: After reading the article cited by your link, I have come to the conclusion that in at least one of the studies they either got it completely wrong or that I am the sole aberration to the "supernorm" when Doyle and Pazhoohi ascertain " that surgically augmented breasts are supernormal stimuli, and they are more attractive than natural breasts, regardless of their size." That couldn't be further from the truth from my feelings on the matter. Augmented breasts are a real turn-off for me. It is like bad science fiction meets Pavlov's dog in the way many men slobber over something so artifical as well as superficial. This in no way should imply a slander on your concept, the other animals studies as well as the junk food references are indicative of probable good science and conclusions based on truthful observation.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2016
  6. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Bit late on the review here. I did listen to it last night just after you'd posted, but as I had just come from working on a PsyTrance track, i couldn't get into the groove of it so decided to come to it. It kind of reminds me of some of the "My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult stuff". Good job well done.

No you're not the only one. Rather real fried eggs than fake soccer balls.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Rolma

Rolma Guest

Hi guys thanks for the listening. My stuff can't be considered fulfilling as commonly a track is understood.I don't have any sense of the audience in my head, nor the knowledge of what is going on in terms of techniques, trends, nor a robust music alphabet, etc. So when someone finds the motivation to listen to it and post a comment, I feel as if I had some people to have tea or beer with me, a joyful occasion : ):mates:

Would I like to pull down the pants or bra of my listeners with a clever catalogue of production tricks?:dunno: At the moment such eroticism is unreachable.
    For me producing is a way to evade certain constrains imposed by the reality, instead of interacting with people and institutions, I just slip into sounds.

Would this interest evolve into something more meaningful?
    I'm not so sure. I'm not even so sure if as @Galactico_B suggests I would ever be able to pick a style, so being fully aware of its rules, licences, precursors and future prospects, etc.

I guess I'm too lazy to understand the bare rules of things, while paradoxically I can work awfully for something that is just off. It drives me just the passion and curiosity for what the computer has for me, and Im so used to living in the closet of the creative souls that it would surprise me enourmously to actually start making sense as the general taste, industry and institutions alike mandate.

The musical composition of this track has taught me few things that I read about but they never occurred to me before. I see it as a gain. If things are not fully, nicelly there, well it's because I can't do it. And this is good, you fight and fight till you see the result of it, more transparent can't be.

Music makes me high and I try to throw myself in, that's all, feeling like a sort of archeologist discovering the wheel while already driving a car :bleh:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
  8. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

Maybe think about cutting out a little in the lower mids for a touch more clarity?....might even make it sound better on yer phone. Interesting track, Enoish, I found it quite difficult to listen to, as in mood specific, and don't pick a style to follow, just go your own way as you're doing, you've got your own style........maybe develop it?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  9. Rolma

Rolma Guest

Seedz good suggestion the lower mids were very challenging.
    I might sit again.
    By the way do you sit on a giant cornflake in one of those trendy all day round starch bars?

And for the style thing, well music is a big motivation, early this year I thought about writing,but music really pushes me further, like bending resistances and snatching completely my energy.

Although it is true that I also think that my musical and production maturity may take place in the afterlife. Pitty Im a bad believer no matter if I prayed, meditated or fast, in its worst phase I can just see organisational patterns that have grown complex by chance.

10. You're scared of your voice. You can push it a bit harder, through a Urie/76 with all buttons down. Or thereabouts. Also you could safely push another 5db of loudness of it

11. Rolma

Rolma Guest

My voice scares me awfully. To record and produce it has been a PAIN IN THE ASS!
    I look at that Urie/76 .

And the loudness was another puzzle. ....I have been playing so safe that I cant believe the meters! I haven't ever before respected the meters so much, to come with a buried semi murky production.
    I listen to productions, here and there and all is so frontal....so in the face, so bright!

I ll sit some more.

12. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

I doubt I'd be allowed anywhere trendy Rolma, so the cornflake is situated at the top of a hill along where I sit with the other fools.

I'm always "thinking" of writing, but music and lyrics always seems a more pleasurable/absorbing/fullfilling medium.

Once organisational patterns that have grown complex by chance occur twice you are developing a style?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. I too sit on a hill, though alone, still and foolishly so.

14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Hello long time friend. I did not realzie this was your post or I would have been here sooner. I am happy to see you are still creating art.
    I will give this a listen when I get back to my house this evening. It is good to see you are still here.

15. Rolma

Rolma Guest

superliquidsunshine and seedz I do seem to sit a lot too, in my case more alone with a screen than with fools.The ideal would be to have some fools filling the screen with brilliant ideas.

Seedz nice hopeful thinking, to stream a pattern into a fully fleshed behaviour has to involve a lot of gardening? I mean that awareness of what type of final outcome is pursued...

subGENRE thanks. really. it would be very nice if you drop me some criticism.you and some other long term members give to this place a kind of character that sometimes seems to be loosing, anyways we have to be open for the new as well :hillbilly:

16. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

That you're being scared of your voice is what I'd call a luxury issue. The voice is good and should sit a little bit mor on top of the mix. Make sure to compress it so that it gets even out. But you probybly already know that.

For me it's the other way 'round. I like my voice - no I love hearing my own voice. Unfortunately nobody else wants to hear me sing:rofl:

17. Galactico_B

Galactico_B Ultrasonic

Yeh Im not saying copy a style but genres have a certain flow, you can have your own style/way of doing things/sounds within any genre.
    It is suggested a good way to learn in the beginning is try to replicate techniques of your idols etc and in doing so you learn; "imitate the greats then become a great etc"

To get better at music you absolutely have to study and analyze it and what you are doing. All the greats are obsessive about music to my knowledge.

Listened again and some interesting sounds for sure, would work well as a soundtrack I get a lot of visuals when I listen to it. It could definitely benefit from a pauze here or there, where you just have some ambient sounds etc then drop back the drums and bass etc .. in my opinion of course! :like:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  18. Sonny Crockett

Sonny Crockett Kapellmeister

Several things to fix or change, in my opinion of course but I liked it after all, that kind of futuristic vibe it gives me.
    What I'd do, if I have to talk right now, is to add some general reverb, not a big ammount something smooth enough to give it more weight, and I think I'd also cut the voice in some parts, too excesive in my opinion. Either that or to try adding some effects (to the voice) in certain parts so that way the song per se sounds more dynamic.

19. Rolma

Rolma Guest

Thanks to all I have gained some perspective of how to perhaps handle this project a bit better...

@Sonny Crockett , yep I agree I see the voice as slightly intrusive element in some parts,as not really phrasing what the music states.In fact the voice hides some parts of the composition (piano progessions) that in a way should be nice to let them pop onto the surface.
    I thought about it yesterday listening the mix on the mobile.

@Galactico_B music creation seems to be a demanding business by itself...as you say it is like pretty much a full dedication activity taking music everywhere.... What a high! A lot to learn too, I guess passion can help ; )

@tulamide I would have paid to get someone doing the singing really...

EVEN IM GOING TO UPLOAD THE INSTRUMENTAL VERSION....not really needed, but the track was formely instrumental till a friend suggested the vocal addition....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2016
  20. Kate Bush uses the Urie in all buttons in mode. She has a weak, but very attractive voice, which the Urie flattens out. Try singing into a compressor with a foldback on the cans. You don't need to be scared. Your voice is easily good enough if you had the balls to let your fellings shine through it. Lovely track. It grows on you.

21. Rolma

Rolma Guest

@Fudsey Plange
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but Urie / 76 is one of those consoles you use when recording or this is a vst bundled in some suite by waves or other manufacturer?