Superliquid Covers Neil Young's "For The Turnstiles"

Discussion in 'Music' started by superliquidsunshine, May 11, 2018.

1. J Addison

J Addison Kapellmeister

Love it. Link to your Soundcloud?

2. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Very good. Has the authentic 70s vibe/sound going on which even most pro artists today have a hard time achieving.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Diogenes

Diogenes Guest

Brilliant! Just when I thought I was getting good, I hear your stuff and realise I have a long way to go. Your other stuff on that site is excellent as well. I'd like to hear the super piece you played on "Mic & Tune test" done on distorted electric.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2018
  4. Thanks for listening as well as your kind words.

Close micing and one take without overdubs (no correction software) where you set it up so that the bleed between the microphones works in context with the room, and backing off of the mic a good ways for the harmony parts. A little bit of Bricasti reverb (in this case, faux) and some analog delay (again,in this case, faux). All that and I suckled at the nipple of of the Great Rock and Roll mother's vinyl breast...at this point it is genetic. If I ever get another good room to spend my days recording bands, it will be a live recording adventure, and if I have my druthers, everybody is in the same room and the art of the bleed, mic placement and strategic gobo isolation will be the soup du jour.

And...the PSP e27 is the shit! But I don't have to tell you that! It's all over this tune.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  5. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Superlative.
    What wonderful surprise to wake up to.
    What a heartfelt and peaceful kiss form the universe through you to all of us.
    There is now a place, even as we move past it, I will forever remember it fondly.
    For in doing something heartfelt you have given us one more moment of clear beauty.
    You have made my morning espresso taste at least ten times better than it usually does.

For that I thank you deeply.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Thanks for listening. I'll have to give it a go on electric. If you wanna give it a try and experiment, the tuning of the guitar is: D G D A Bb E, capo up a step on the 2nd fret. Finding chord figures when using odd stringing can be challenging but lots of fun. There are pearls to be found in doing things out of the comfort box. It is limiting as one must somewhat be in a modal mindset and use what is the reality of what is given, but hey. If you have a second guitar (or a second or a third, :yes:) it is cool to keep it in the alternate tuning so you can just grab it and play and not stress out your main guitar(s). Besides this one, I have another in DADAAD, a beater Yamaha F-310. Have phun!

7. And now you made my day as well as my own espresso expressly enhanced

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

You little 'kin beauty........really, nice one shagger. Crackin' interpretation.

Neil (and Bob) have produced work lyrically that I doubt will ever be exceeded

btw I didn't realise you were such a young pup, I think it would be best if from now on you addressed me as Mr Seedz :guru:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. I no longer have a PC connected to the internet as previously and am not permitted to use the tablet which I connect to the web to upload songs. I guess I should try a runaround. It has been quite a while since I have done so.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Thank you kindly, Mr. Seedz, that you very much.

Neil and Bob...what gifts of the Universe, without them it would just be the Uni without the verse!

11. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I kinda love ur voice, @superliquidsunshine to me you sound like Michael Stipe playing more stripped-down, heartfelt blues. No need for delay. Or "atmos". Just voice & guit are dreamy enough. Kinda makes me a lil bit misty *ahem* so job done. Which stadium can I hear you play at next? =)

I did panic slightly when I heard these words. Because, for some reason I had conflated these two guys:

[​IMG]

& expected Sweet Caroline or whatev, for some reason... Somehow, in my tiny mixed-up brain! Don't ask me how or why! Anyway, mind blown; and not even for the first time in this topic!

It feels like cheating to do it any other way nowadays.

Can free creativity in a reverse-psych kinda way, placing restrictions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Glad you liked it, you were actually my muse in doing this one after other kind words that you have expressed. I felt that I had to try to live up to your other compliments. Really. It's good to push each other to help us do our best.

Neil Diamond to me is a fantastic song writer too, in a different kind of way than the other Neil who sits on the right hand side of The Great Creator. Bob Dylan is sittin' on the other.

13. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

*blush* you're far far too kind. One day I hope to have some small measure of ur talent! I need more practice! Also guitars. Also ability. At the moment even my knowledge of "the greats" is kinda off. At least I didn't mix up Bob Dylan <-> Marley. Although I don't rule out doing it someday! =)

14. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Took a ride through some of your other songs!

Like the way you tread an acoustic guitar - you have your very own and very delicate way of playing a rhytme guitar.

What brand is your guitar?

15. First off thanks!

The one on this song is a couple of years old all mahogany Martin D-15M, a dreadnought that I am totally in love with. The "Tuning" song is a 1980 Ibanez J-540 NT with a spruce top and curly maple sides and back, jumbo sized. Other guitars you heard were a Roy Noble cedar top with rosewood sides and three piece back ( Roy built four guitars for Clarence White and Doc Watson had one also, he only built around 500 total all by hand using his own self made jigs, bindings, etc) amazingly sweet sound totally balanced from string to string, from the nut to the bridge), a 1976 Helmut Hanika cedar/mahogany classical in desperate need of new machines and will one day get crack repair on the lower front bout which moves and pushes it out of tune (if I do not buy another nylon string guitar), a 1962 Framus round back parlor guitar for some slide bits here and there (heavily eq'd to be usable) and the electric, the only playable one I have ATM, a Japanese, early 1989 Levinson Blade RH2 of heavy and dense Sen Ash, a versatile active eq with a three way toggle switch for three personalised and changeable settings, a great and innovative whammy bar, a push/pull for the bridge humbucker and the sweetest rosewood fretboard and tapered neck ever. My 1986 Steinberg needs a complete Trans Trem replacement in order to be playable and the 70's Weston Thunder II with dual humbuckers and neck thru body construction (which takes two 9 volt batteries for the 30 something decible boost) is sidelined until it gets a fret job. I'm out of breath.

P.S. The delicate quality that you mentioned, besides the feel of my right hand, might be because of the perhaps odd way that the pick attacks the strings on every downstroke. The top right of my index finger nail always hits the string a millisecond before the pick hits. The nail is constantly worn down there and scuffed to about 1/3 of the way down towards the cuticle. Who ever said specialization is just for insects.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Jezzzz... what a collection you have - I have also owned a few nice guitars through the years :yes:

Myself: I stopped playing guitar a few years back because I´ve got rheumatoid arthritis in my fingers/hands and the acoustic guitar is therefore not an option anymore. Fortunately, I can still play violin, viola and piano and hope my rheumatoid arthritis does not develop any further.

Let us have a listen next time you record something :wink::wink:

17. Definately will I get you a listen.

Just today was wondering about my own hands and the joint pain. I have to warm up before I play, and in the morning I am seriously feeling it, less in my fretting left than the right which doesn't do the daily two to three hours or more of string fretting ballet. I for years was a massage therapist doing an insanely deep tissue work and am now playing the wounded healer, hand wise. They have always been very, very sensitive and I could never for instance play handball lest they become purple and bruised. The Ibanez I bought a few years ago from a fellow in my village who could no longer play from his own pain and suffering. I eat linseed, coconut or chia seed oil daily and cook with an abundance of kurkuma (turmeric) infused in the evening meal, or else I might be far worse off than now. I hope I can stave off the end as long as I can, I can't barely imagine my life without playing...it is more than part of me, it is me.

18. @phloopy

Keith's Fingers

[​IMG]

For Keith Richards and for most musicians, giving up music is simply not an option. His observations about the addictive qualities of music and performing give us an insight into the addictive qualities of creating and performing music; ‘a far bigger drug than smack. I could kick smack. I couldn’t kick music. One note leads to another, and then you never know quite what’s going to come next, and you don’t want to. It’s like walking on a beautiful tightrope.’

http://www.ronankavanagh.ie/musicia...eith-richards-fingers-why-musicians-get-sore/

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Hey @superliquidsunshine ,
    This sounds good, very good: We need more tunes like this one!
    Kuddos! :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing! :yes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List