SUPERIOR DRUMMER 3 TO BE RELEASED ON SEPTEMBER 12th

Discussion in 'Software News' started by TonyG, Aug 15, 2017.

1. TonyG

TonyG Guest

Superior Drummer 3, Toontrack's new complete drum production studio, will be released on September 12 at a price of $399
    Superior Drummer 3 yields endless choices for honing, shaping, and molding drums. Over 230GB of raw sounds were captured at Galaxy Studios by the legendary George Massenburg. There's also drag-and-drop support for individual or third-party samples. SD3's mixer provides advanced routing, control over individual mic bleed, and is loaded with 35 top-tier studio effects. And with integrated audio-to-MIDI conversion, Superior Drummer 3 provides powerful drum replacement and augmentation. Finding the right groove is easy, thanks to advanced search functions, and you can build and arrange full drum tracks without leaving the program. Complete with custom drum graphics, a scalable interface, and detachable windows, Toontrack's Superior Drummer 3 is the final word in drum production.

Drums
    Over 230GB of top-shelf drum samples
    Award-winning engineer George Massenburg recorded the sounds in Superior Drummer 3 at Galaxy Studios in Belgium. He utilized Galaxy Hall (the studio's main multi-purpose room), which is renowned for its near-perfect acoustics. Over 230GB of raw, unprocessed sounds were captured with eleven surround microphones, for playback in stereo and up to 11.1 surround. Massenburg used nothing but world-class gear, including mics from Neumann, Sennheiser, Ehrlund, Beyerdynamic, AEA, Sanken, and Schoeps.

Grooves
    Mix, match, change, and rearrange
    Superior Drummer 3 makes finding the right groove easy. Search and browse using the integrated browser, or use the Tap2Find function to match the rhythm that's in your head. From there you can dive in and fine-tune timing, velocity detail, and more with the built-in grid editor. You can even build and arrange full drum tracks without leaving the program!

Mixer
    Route, bus, send, saturate, and blend
    The mixer in Superior Drummer 3 is loaded with 35 studio-quality insert effects, so you can process your drums before they hit your DAW. Create groups, buses, routing, and sends exactly like you would with a hardware mixer. A wide variety of presets are available for all included kits, and you have complete control over mic bleed and more. You can even save your own custom instruments, including third-party samples and drum stacks.

Tracker
    A new breed of audio-to-MIDI conversion
    Drum replacement is a staple of modern studio production, and Superior Drummer 3's offline audio-to-MIDI conversion is one of the most powerful we've seen here at Sweetwater. Its advanced instrument recognition neural network detects hits with unparalleled accuracy. In fact, when Toontrack demoed the software for us, they were able to extract viable MIDI information from a single stereo drum track. Enjoy seamless SD3 integration, along with MIDI tempo and time map export. You also get single-instrument MIDI export and drag-and-drop functionality.

George Massenburg
    World-class drums recorded by a studio legend
    The drum sounds in Superior Drummer 3 were engineered by legendary recording engineer George Massenburg (Earth, Wind & Fire, Lyle Lovett, Little Feat, Linda Ronstadt). Besides being the inventor of the parametric equalizer, George has produced, mixed, and engineered over 400 albums, received countless industry awards, has been inducted into the TECnology Hall of Fame, and received an honorary Doctorate of Music from Berklee College. George's painstakingly thorough approach to his projects is evident in everything he touches, and SD3 is no exception.

Instruments:
    Kits
    • Ayotte Classic
    • Gretsch Round Badge 1960s
    • Ludwig '70s 3-ply Classic
    • Ludwig '70s 3-ply Concert
    • Pearl Masterworks
    • Premier Genista Birch Original
    • Yamaha Beech Custom
    • Plus 350 vintage and classic drum machine sounds
    Snares
    • 5.5" x 14" Ayotte Custom Maple
    • 5" x 13" Ayotte Maple Custom Yellow
    • 4" x 14" Gigster "Slim"
    • 3.5" x 14" GMS Brass Piccolo
    • 5" x 14" Gretsch Solid Aluminum
    • 5" x 14" 1930s Leedy Broadway Standard Solid Mahogany
    • 8" x 14" Lignum Custom Pear Stave
    • 8" x 14" Lignum Custom Pear Stave (w/ extra drumhead)
    • 4" x 14" 1920s Ludwig Black Beauty
    • 5" x 14" Ludwig 400
    • 6.5" x 14" Ludwig Black Beauty
    • 8" x 14" Ludwig Coliseum
    • 5.5" x 14" Ludwig Jazz Festival
    • 6.5" x 14" Ludwig Super-Sensitive
    • 7" x 14" Noble and Cooley Steambent Maple
    • 6.5" x 14" Noble and Cooley Zildjian Cast Bronze
    • 6" x 14" Odery Air Control Vented
    • 4.5" x 10" Odery Hard Hoop Aluminum Wood
    • 6" x 14" Pearl Masters Custom
    • 10" x 14" Rogers "Yorktown" Eagle Batch
    • 5" x 14" Slingerland Radio King
    • 2.5" x 10" Sonor Select Force Jungle
    • 8" x 14" TAMA Artwood Maple
    • 6.5" x 14" TAMA Bell Brass
    • 6" x 14" TAMA Warlord Collection Masai Bubinga KGB146
    • 5.5" x 14" Yamaha Copper Nouveau
    Tools (available on select kits and instruments)
    • Sticks
    • Mallets
    • Brushes
    • Blasticks
    • Rods

(info courtesy of Sweetwater.com)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 9
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

4. TonyG

TonyG Guest

@devilorcracker

The video was taken down by Toontrack but it is back on. Thanks for letting me know

5. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

With 230 gb of samples they might be right.

We are in 2017 so obviously it looks overkill but I guess this might be different in 2 or 3 years.

6. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Thanks for the heads up . Looks really cool.

7. Polymetrix

Polymetrix Platinum Record

Yeah...looking at the list of snares I should never touch this or else I'll spend 2-3 months choosing the snare I like (slightly picky..well, extremely picky tbh...)

Well at least there's now an upgrade from B(ug)F(ixing)D(enied)3 if the miracle of money ever happens to me.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  8. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

Strangely, it's still working for me.

9. EL75

EL75 Member

Thanks for info. I think the price is right for it. I will definitevily buy it as soon as it is out

10. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Pretty Bad Ass \m/..\m/ if im using Samples i use Superior Drummer and Perfect Drums my 2 favorites >>>with Perfect Drums you can load your own sounds so as of now its the most used in my workflow

11. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

@Jaymz, welcome back! I hope things are better for you.
    Have you ever used Trigger 2? What are your thoughts in comparison to this?

12. Hennessey

Hennessey Platinum Record

Honestly,for that big library it sounds very generic to my ears,as far i am looking demo on YT...Actualy i dont like even the GUI , SD 2 is way better in simplicity,and like i said sounds exact like EZdrummer which is good but in that size.... I am dissaponted, same room sounds listen to EZ drummer ,and there are now RAW sounds like in BFD regarded that library size,they should do that.... By the way there are no single MICs mono outs... and again 230gigs for 6kits oh my that is too much and i dont like kits at all .IDK maybe i am not that expirienced with drums but i dont like it....

13. Anagnorisis

Anagnorisis Noisemaker

There are 100% raw samples, in the videos they are just showing some internal presets, which obviously have effects on them.. but you don't need to use them (and you shouldn't).

14. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

H
    Hey Thanks Brother! good to get back on here some haha... I stay pretty busy with my wife is sick but its gettin better i have more time now stil mixin like a crazy man lol >>>good to talk to you bro! >>> wen i demo This i can give more feedback but right now im diggin this new SD3 ;) Edit Yes i use Trigger 2 but will see how they compare soon haha

15. TW

TW Guest

I was waiting so long for this!!! Finally ...

16. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

I postulated a couple of years ago about an SD3 that combined the ease of use of EZD2 and the control of SD2. Looks like it's arrived, but 230GB is maybe too much, I'd guess that would be more than EZD2 + kits + SD2 + kits combined.

17. Hennessey

Hennessey Platinum Record

I totaly agree with you,but i just i didnt heart just one unprocesed sample,in video i watched and they just sounded so Toontrack ,procesed,so same,any diferent kit just in slight diferencies... But anyway if i get the chance i will give it a test ride,but 230gigs wow man,that is crazy...

18. Polymetrix

Polymetrix Platinum Record

Someone at KVR posted this list:
    with 4.5. being useless to me I'd already save ~95gigs

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. TW

TW Guest

I hope you are able to use the kits form SD 2. I mean theese are allready great samples.

150 gigs is still a lot. I am pretty sure it will not sound 15 times better than AD2. AD2 is with all expensions what? 10 - 12 gigs?

20. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

yep, seems like EZD2 sounds with different GUI. we'll see

21. Kingvrage

Kingvrage Kapellmeister

Well, I'd keep in mind that they are using general sounds just for the announcement. we all know what can be achieved with SD2 so it helps to keep an open mind about what this brings to the table. I own both EZD2 and SD2 and Im quite certain that there will be more to the sound quality than anything you heard in EZD2. personally Id say this wipes the floor with both of the earlier products as it does the same with most of the competition. I have a lot of love for other drum software but it is mainly for the samples themselves. most competitors would be better off just making libraries for Superior 3 at this point. most every other GUI out there is gross to look at and not very intuitive at all.