Superior Drummer 3 Libraries not found

Discussion in 'Software' started by PerpetualVoid, Apr 16, 2023.

1. PerpetualVoid

PerpetualVoid Newbie

Hello everyone,

i'm trying to add the following libraries:

- metal machine
    - metal foundry

I'm new in using Superior Drummer, so I've downloaded the latest version of it: Toontrack Superior Drummer v3.3.6 CE Update-V.R.

I installed the VST3 version and both the libraries in the default location (C:\Program Files\Toontrack for VST and C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Toontrack for libraries)

I opened the DAW and the VST. I received the "could not find any sound libraries" message. So I followed these steps in this topic: https://audiosex.pro/threads/problem-installing-superior-drummer-3-expansions.53017/

I still receive the messages "Could not find any sound libraries" and "No sound libraries found in selected Directory".

I'm using Cubase 12 on Windows 11.

I can't find any other solutions to this problem.

Can someone help me?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

If you search the threads here, you will find plenty of info on installing Toontrack products (retail & etc...).

The default locations are:
    C:Program Files\Toontrack (for standalone programs & operation manuals)
    C:\Common Files\VST3
    C:\Program Files\VST, C:\Program Files\vstplugins, or C:\Program Files\Steinberg\vstplugins as examples for VST2.
    C:\ProgramData\Toontrack for resources & libraries

If SD3 does not show your library after install, go to Settings in the top menu ^ select Libraries/Paths.
    Near the top left, you will see Add Library Path. Click & navigate to where the libraries are installed.
    Select the proper folder & click Select Folder. The path fields should now show your installed libraries.

4. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

When you do select Libraries and paths in SD3 take note of the place on the system where IT is expecting to find SDX libraries. Make certain that is the place you put your SDX packages.

Keep in mind you can place the SDX libraries ANYWHERE on the system as long as you adhere to a few simple rules;
    - make certain SD3 knows definitively where you are wanting it to search for libraries (i.e. via the libraries/paths setting)
    - make VERY certain that the file and folder structure of the SDX is kept intact. Name the root of the SDX to preferably the factory name of the library. Everything else MUST be kept as it is. If something in the SDX is amiss SD3 will throw an error something to the effect of "invalid library" or some such.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  5. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Also the folder for the SDX must be named exactly correctly. Unfortunately without my computer in front of me I can't tell you what that is... If you ran the installer that shouldn't be an issue though. If you did a drag and drop it might be. It's going to be something like SL-METALMACHINE. They all start SL-

6. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Here is a pic of my Toontack folder. I have a lot of packs so you can see many names, and that the containing folder path can be whatever you like, following normal rules.
    TT folder.jpg
    The Superior Drummer folder is expanded so you can see all the folders, but the EZDrummer folder contained too many to show in the navigation pane.

7. PerpetualVoid

PerpetualVoid Newbie

So, I found these files under C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Toontrack\EZDrummer\Midi after I Installed Metal Foundry:

upload_2023-4-17_22-8-48.png

upload_2023-4-17_22-9-21.png

Under those directories there are only header files. Is that normal? Also, do I have to rename the main library directories like DoubleTake has?

Also, what's more frustrating is that SD3 has the default library/paths settings and they should be correct since my libraries are in that location:

upload_2023-4-17_22-16-9.png

8. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I always move my libraries off the OS drive.
    You can "ADD Library Paths" using the button on the top left.
    You may select whatever folder contains all your libraries.
    In other words you do not need to select each pack's folder separately.
    The packs will be found.
    For example I just chose "G:\Daw Lib TT\Libs", and it finds all there.
    I have a few on another drive, so I add that path, too ("J:\Daw Lib 3\TT\SD3")
    Instead of in Program files, I moved my main Toontrack EZDrummer folder at: "G:\Daw Lib TT\Libs\EZdrummer"

I am not sure that it even matters what the name is on each Pack's folder (All the SL-*, Ezx* & Ezx2*) folders, as long as the content is there, but it would not hurt to name them as mine are - that should be default. I also see that Trurl says they must be named standard.

The blank header files are there to create category headers in the midi browser.

9. PerpetualVoid

PerpetualVoid Newbie

I've just done as you and Trurl said. I moved the EZDrummer directory with its content to E:\VSTs\Toontrack

I renamed the Metal Foundry directory with SL-MetalFoundry, tried to add the library path and nothing happens.

So I deleted the old path under disk C, clicked on "Locate Additional Libraries Folder", selected the right path and restarted SD3.

I'm still getting the "Could not find any sound libraries" error. :snuffy:

I don't understand what SD3 needs.

Should I rename these directories under SL-MetalFoundry too? If yes, what should they be? Still SL-*?

upload_2023-4-19_1-23-10.png

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  10. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I'm not 100% sure on those names. I need to see my computer and it's not here, sorry. No, the subdirectories are different. If I can ever remember I'll do a screencap.

11. Dan O.

Dan O. Noisemaker

Rename the library file name without any spaces.

12. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Ok it should be:

SL-MetalMachine
    SL-MetalFoundry

No spaces, capitalized like that. Directly under that all subfolders (GraphicsV3, Sounds, etc. Point Superior at folder with SL folders in it.