Superior Drummer 3/ EZDrummer 3 Killing My SSD (huge data writing to disk)

Discussion in 'Software' started by tintiminti, Jul 27, 2022.

1. tintiminti

tintiminti Newbie

When i pick grooves from list Superior Drummer 3 and EZDrummer 3 writing ETILQS files to Temp folder. ETILQS files are SQLite library files. SQLite using for databases in softwares. When i pick any groove library its writing at least 1-1.5 GB temp files, if i pick 20 library it will write 20-30 GB temp data to disk. SSD's lifetime depends written data, my PC writing 6-10 GB data for each day but Superior and EZDrummer 3 writing huge data to disk in seconds. Early versions of Superior and EZDrummer dont have this problem.

Video shows how its writing huge data in seconds.

3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Do you get the same behavior in the standalone program or, another DAW?

4. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

What version are you using? SD3 doesn't write more than ~100kB every now and then for me. Same with both standalone and vst3.

Are you sure that it is SD3 writing these files and not Windows or maybe Cubase? I can't see SD3 doing this for me, or I just can't see it/find it.

5. Tai-San

Tai-San Ultrasonic

I can't replicate this behavior either, SD3 writes are negligible.

6. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

Nope, not happening here with either SD3 or EZ3.

7. tintiminti

tintiminti Newbie

Superior v3.3.2, EZDrummer v3.0.3 and i have many MIDI libraries. Its happening in Ableton Live 11 too, its definitely not about DAW. Superior/EZDrummer/DAW are not writing data to disk, as you can notice in video system process is writing data. When you pick grooves SQlite searching similar grooves in background for preparing that list meantime its writing temporary ETILQS files.

You can install Sysinternals Process Explorer and watch Disk Data Writes for system process or you can watch disk activity with Win 10 Resource Monitor (Task Manager > Performance tab, at the bottom) . Resource Monitor shows that ETILQS files writing process but its writing and deleting fast it means if you check temp folder you will not see that files. When you start plugin it needs few min to prepare MIDI database after that it will write ETILQS files to disk. If you have less MIDI libraries it might write less data.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022