Superior drummer 2: cymbals muted hits

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pereira, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Pereira

Pereira Producer

I hope somebody can help an old dumb like me...... :dunno:

I know that from v. 2.31 SD2 is able to produce muted cymbals hits; I obviously worked on instrument articulations, cymbal muted hit is clearly present (as well as a cymbal muted tail, wich meaning I can't understand :snuffy: ), and its specific key inside instrument mapping; it sounds well hitting the above key from inside SD2 keyboard, but I'm not able to reproduce it from the midi piano roll of my DAW (S1), as well as hitting from my external USB Keyboard (a standard full not muted cymbal sound is produced). It sounds muted only if its midi velocity is turned to max, but this doesn't seem a good solution in a midi drum file having lower medium velocity....I can't think this is the only solution available.

Probably I'm missing something, SD2 manual is poor and not so clear for this argument (or maybe I'm not able to find it....)

Thanks in advance :wink:

3. karlarsch

karlarsch Ultrasonic

The mute-function is triggered by a controller, not a note-event.
    Karl

4. Pereira

Pereira Producer

Thanks a lot....some additional instructions...?

5. karlarsch

karlarsch Ultrasonic

7.5 Cymbal “Chokes” (manual page 49)
    Superior Drummer® can automatically treat your module Key Aftertouch messages to choke a cymbal.
    To enable this function for a particular cymbal. please proceed as follows:
    1. Select the appropriate Cymbal ʻCrashʼ Articulation
    2. Switch the ʻEdit Articulation Onlyʼ filter ON
    3. Enable Envelope section
    4. Toggle the switch to the far right to Aftertouch
    5. Set the ʻreleaseʼ and ʻholdʼ parameters to taste

6. Pereira

Pereira Producer

Already tried, thanks anyway.
    Nothing changes setting release and hold parameters (playing the mapped key from an external source, like an USB keyb).
    The only parameter that changes something is Decay/sustain, but I really don't like the final sound.
    Nothing to do, this articulation is velocity dependant, if you write the mapped key for it in the piano roll with max velocity it works, full crash sound if not :dunno:
    External USB keybord is touch sensitive, and never works at max velocity

7. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

Can't you just click on the articulation and click learn? Ya, don't know about mapping it to piano roll, but to a keyboard is cake for me. Just right click the cymbal in construct view to highlight it. Then at the bottom right change articulation dropdown box to mute. Click learn just below that, then press desired keyboard key. Done. I am using superior drummer v2.4.0. And I have a shitty keyboard without aftertouch, but it is still velocity sensitive when I mapped it this way.

8. Pereira

Pereira Producer

Thanks a lot tater_one, I'll try and it will probably work for me too.
    But the main problem still remains, how can I record (or write as well)it on a piano roll with a velocity lower than 127?

9. Vertigox

Vertigox Newbie

Don't really understand, but do you mean the "aftertouch" function maybe? That's causing he muted hit.

10. Diabulus in Musica

Diabulus in Musica Platinum Record

@pereira: On Studio One's piano roll there is a specific tab to modify the Aftertouch for every single note, it works like the Velocity parameter ...just move up or down the columns to increase or decrease the Aftertouch value. *yes*

11. Pereira

Pereira Producer

Hi Diabulus, I speak in english even if in italian I could probably explain better my issue.
    I already tried with aftertouch parameter in PR, writing along the piano roll the note related to full cymbal crash(also tried with the note related to its muting articulation), and then moving up and down aftertouch, but without any result.
    My first statement was I am a little (complete?) dumb, probably this is the main matter :rofl: .
    Could you explain (if not too difficult for you) what should be the correct procedure?
    Thanks a lot anyway. :wink:
    To all, obviously :bow:

12. Diabulus in Musica

Tell me first which library for SD2 you are using and the notes linked to the articulations you are refering, so I can try on my S1. *yes*

13. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

Once you map it to a key on the keyboard, can't you just use that midi note to trigger it from piano roll? Since you can know the exact note on your keyboard. As long as Superior Drummer is set to receive from midi channel omni. Also, I would say the aftertouch would be messing it up, I would delete that midi column or disable it on that track. Also, I would try loading a different kit and trying it, sounds like you have been tinkering around too much on that one. Or even just load a fresh cymbal in that slot. Try starting a different project in studio one, you could have enabled/disabled something on accident.

Also, if you mapped it to a keyboard, can't you just record a couple of hits from it then copy/paste them around piano roll view?

14. Diabulus in Musica

Well...try to do so:

1. Select the cymbal you want to mute and then select the mute articulation from the dropdown box in the construct panel.

2. Activate the Envelope and bring the Release to 0.1 ms.

3. Insert the Cymbal in the piano roll and then overlap it with the mute note when you want mute it.

4. Done!

[​IMG]
    I don't know if this is the right way but seems to work...*yes*

15. Demon

Demon Producer

Most likely this is not related... but I have always had problems with cymbal chokes when playing with an e-drumkit. Surprisingly, Addictive Drums doesn't have this problem, you just tell it to "learn" it and it does!!! I do prefer to use Superior though, so I just add chokes later. Not the best process, but oh well...

I hope you solve this, pereira.

16. Pereira

Pereira Producer

Sorry for the delay in answering, I just came home 2 hours ago after a busy day (job, hospital :snuffy: and so on).
    I'll try your suggestions ASAP Diabulus, I ll'let you know results immediatly after.
    In the meantime...
    A big thank for the help :wink: :wink:

17. Pereira

Pereira Producer

A little bit delayed, but with the right solution :dancing: .

First of all Diabulus in Musica: your solution doesn't work for me, but I think it's not a valid solution in general: the produced sound is a crash, followed (partially overlapped) by a muted one; I'm interested in managing only the second one.

After better studying manual and some tutorials, I had the demonstration that I'm really quite dumb: muted crash articulation must be velocity dependant, for the assigned mapped key: no need to overlap different keys; at 127 maximum velocity SD2 produces the max muting effect (the fully stopped sound). Be careful for some libraries it is the contrary, the max effect is produced at zero velocity.
    If you wont to manage this articulation volume, select it in instrument panel, click on "edit articulation only", and edit the volume slide at the desidered level.

Hope this will be useful for you too :wink:

18. Diabulus in Musica