Super cheap and functional ghetto removable mod!

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Bunford, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I got some consoles on my desk like the Focusrite Liquid Mix, the Icon Qcon Lite and a Pres onus Faderport. Always bugged me how flat they are which makes it difficult to see and read, especially if in darker studio.

I want to change them so they were more 'flat' in front of me and raised so I could read screens and controls without a problem. I came up with a somewhat ghetto solution but works perfectly and can be easily removed.

I went to Ikea and whilst wondering around, the idea hit me. I purchased some 4x6" photo frames and took out the kickstand bit in the back. I cleaned the back of the units with isopropyl alcohol and thenot after checking alignment ex hot glued the kickstand from the photo frame to the back of each unit.

I know have a kickstand for each unit to adjust angle as I want and they still go flat on the desk if need be. As it's hot glue, once cooled it is easily removed should you not like it or need to RMA or sell your unit. Once you find the angle you want, you could put a string through the bit glued to the unit and the kicked out stand bit as a kind of 'leash' to make the leg sturdier and not go beyond the angle you want.

Total cost of this was 65p per Fiskbo frame from Ikea and now I have them at a way better working angle under my monitors.

Just thought I'd share in case anybody else is equally as frustrated as I was with flat units. If you wanted you could come up with a nicer solution with adjustable iPad stand or similar, which will have a better and sturdier weighted frame, but this is a cheaper and equally functional solution!