Suggest a Good DAW for Windows!

Discussion in 'DAW' started by abhinavjoshua, Jan 23, 2015.

1. abhinavjoshua

abhinavjoshua Noisemaker

Hi,
    Recently I was mixing a session of my friend in Pro Tools 10.3.7. The DAW was behaving fine but since when I updated it to 10.3.9, my life became hell! :snuffy: A serious of DAE errors ruined my life then, I planned to move back and downgraded it to 10.3.7, everything was fine but for an error "CPU memory getting low, Remove some of the native plugins... and blah blah blah..." :dunno: This error even comes if I'm running few plugins or almost no plugins! I have used 10.3.7 before and had no problems. I've used 3 times more plugin than what I use now and had no CPU problems! :bow:
    I waste a lot of time in searching for DAE errors in Pro Tools and fixing it to continue. So I am planning to switch from Pro tools to some other DAW (which is x64 altleast).

I basically record Vocals, Guitars and Bass through D.I. and programme everything else. My songs usually lies in Contemporary Rock kind of genre. :dunno:

SYSTEM SPECIFICATION :
    Windows 8.1 x64
    RAM - 12GB
    CPU - Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.0 GHz
    3 TB Hard drive - 1 TB and 2TB (both the drives have a spin speed of 7200 RPM)

With these specifications, suggest me a good DAW. :wink:
    I am thinking to switch to Studio One. What say? *yes*

3. mono

mono Audiosexual

i use fl studio myself but if you used Pro Tools a bit
    Studio One would be a lot easer to change to,
    fl studio and live are not like Pro Tools in any way, :wink:

4. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Based on what I read, Cubase is the best on Windows but if you're planning on having more than 3 audio tracks in your projet, then you have to buy the super premium producer pack (did i mention premium?) version for only $99999
    I personally use Ableton. I find it to be much more stable than FL studio and very practical but I don't know that I would recommend it though :rofl: .
    It still has quite a few bugs ( "oh you want to copy and paste this midi track ? here, let me remove all automations, who needs those" is one example). And of course the occasional crashes although I can say that recent patches have improved stability quite a bit.
    Bitwig is still too early in its development and is buggy as hell

5. lukie

lukie Newbie

There is only one DAW for windows Cubase! all the rest are imitations.
    thats if you got £400 plus

6. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

I'll just leave this here... My link :dancing:

7. mono

mono Audiosexual

There is NO best d.a.w.
    may-be 20 years ago but not anymore :bleh:

8. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Cubase or Studio One.

Stay away from FL and Ableton, theyre not meant for your needs.

I'm a big FL fan and a small Ableton fan, but I would rather cut off my ear like Van Gogh before recording anything live with them.

The way I see it when DAWs are written the developers have a list of priorities. For Pro Tools, Studio One, Cubase live audio is #1, For FL live audio is #124, and Live #12.

FL and Lives first priorities are midi.

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Studio One is just not a full grown daw yet.
    It's followers are very enthusiastic about it but feature-wise it's not on par with the big ones.

What zero-frag states about Ableton Live is not reproducable at my place - I copy MIDI tracks all the time and have never had problems of automation data not being transferred.
    To be honest, I work with Live every single day for several hours and I have never experienced a bug. Well, I had some crashes, but those are attributed to some very specific vsts.
    This leads to the ultimate killer feature of Ableton Live: the crash recovery of unsaved work is excellent. Live saves every step you make somewhere (they call it undo-history, which is really funny. As if history could be undone, lol) and if you open ableton after a crash, you can continue exactly where you were, even if you haven't saved your work. Excellent feature.

But since you do a lot of recording and therefore audio-editing, one cannot recommend Ableton Live to you. Audio editing is a nightmare in Live and what I recommend is Cubase.
    The concept behind Cubase is not so far from PT and it's really an excellent DAW. Stable, reliable, extremely well built.
    Zero-frags nagging about features and price is not really applicable. It's a tool for professional use and that comes with a price tag.

Besides, Cubase Elements (the entry level version at 99,-) allows 64 midi tracks and 48 audio tracks - that really should be enough for a hobbyist.

Ableton Live suite and Cubase 8 Pro cost roughly the same btw.

10. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

i'm a follower very enthusiastic of Studio One because it has got everything i need. My suggest is try all daw and choose what you feel more comfortable with.

Studio One has got a 30-days demo period (only export to mp3 is disabled) try it. And if you don't like it there are some other very cool daws, My second choice suggest is Cubase.

Studio One is great for Recordings, it has nice comping and layer features, bend tool, it has got pre-fader insert (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u6uxjLmqIk) and it's very easy to learn

11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Cubase, Reaper, FL, Sonar, Ableton Live, Bitwig, Renoise, Podium, Reason, Digital Performer, Sony Acid, Samplitude...

12. mono

mono Audiosexual

i tryed all daws only took me 5 years to learn them all
    and after that i went back to the frist one i tryed lol

13. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

What about Studio One? :rofl:

14. Scandi

Scandi Newbie

Haha same here. I started using FL Studio around 2004 or 2005. I had no internet, so I had brought it with me home from school on a CD. I downloaded it because I wanted to make MIDI ringtones for my Nokia phone.
    Then I used it for 3 or so years, then moved to Cubase. I've tried most daws, and was even on logic for 2 years before I sold my mac to get back to FL studio. I'm never leaving her again :)

15. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Try Reaper first, it has a completely unlimited 60 day trial, you get the whole daw to try, no intrusive copy protection either.

16. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

17. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

If you were using a Mac I would hands down suggest Logic..

For Windows however, you must find something that somewhat mimics your thought process/work-flow.

The other issue is headroom before digital clipping and audio purity.

I have found that Cubase although powerful is also prone to crashes when you push it too hard. It also has a somewhat sterile/cold sound.

Samplitude and Reaper are my current choices. Studio One is still developing like Reaper and has great features but headroom is lacking (clips audio to early)
    compared to ther software.

Tried latest Sonar and gave up. Not intuitive and too quirky.

Digital Performer may be up your alley but does require a finely tuned system as it is a resource hog.

Samplitude seems to handle resources really well and yes, there is room for improvement with some of the features.
    Using projects ported from Reaper with better performance and audio overall. Worth the learning curve so far..

18. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

cool edit pro :bleh:

19. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

ableton Suite \Thread closed :rofl:

20. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

:wink:
    The best DAW is the one you pick, learn, use and abuse.

21. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Producer

Reaper. You can keep your PT-feel (why the hell would one possibly want that), good forum, nice price & a million of technical/musical reasons. Awesome fac.-plugs, the wrapper is ... did I mention "stable"?