Subtersonic Remo Doumbek Free Sample Pack

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Von Geschaftemacher, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Von Geschaftemacher

Von Geschaftemacher Noisemaker

[​IMG] My next experiment is ready to come out of the laboratory- another free sample pack featuring a doumbek.

Organology

The doumbek is a goblet shaped hand drum. This membranophone is known by many names (such as darabukka, tonbak, tablah, darbuka, etc.) and comes in numerous variations in shape and size. It is a traditional instrument in many countries, ranging from Eastern Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, to India. It is commonly associated with belly dancing. Traditional construction materials can include metal or ceramic for the body, and a fish skin head. The unique goblet shape of the body allows for a lower tone that would normally be achieved by a small drum. The head may be glued on, or may be tunable with a curved rim. It also utilizes a variety of playing techniques and has become a popular "world music" instrument.

I am not an expert with this instrument by any means, but I do have experience performing Balkan, Turkish, Persian and Indian music with this drum. The particular instrument that I sampled was manufactured by Remo. It is more of a utilitarian design, with a solid wood body and a synthetic head. It is more durable than a traditional design, but has a less defined tone.

The Sample Pack

Brand: Remo
    Model DK-0408-08
    8" Diameter, synthetic pre-tuned head, wood body
    Recorded as dry, 16 bit, mono WAV files, 140 samples total, edited with Audacity
    Each sample was recorded with 2 mics: a Shure SM-57 near the head, and a Nady SP-1 near the bell (the opening at the bottom of the drum) Recorded into a Tascam US-1800 interface

I tried to capture interesting, melodic sounds. There are a variety of articulations at 4 velocity levels, recorded at 2 mic positions and variations for round-robin:

Doum (an open bass sound, variations A, B, C)
    Muted Doum
    Tek (a high pitched rim sound, variations A, B, C)
    Muted Tek
    Ka (a left-handed tek, variations A, B)
    Muted Ka
    Slap (sounds like a mix of doum and tek)
    Rim click (ringing sound made by knocking on the body near the rim)
    Pitch bend down (tabla-ish doum sound made by inserting hand into the bell)
    Pitch bend up (like above)
    Ruff (an ornament done with the fingers)
    Harmonic (4 teks with a finger dampening certain spots on the head)
    Roll 1 (using 1 hand, 1 velocity level)
    Roll 2 (using 2 hands, 1 velocity level)

I have included a mapping of the sounds for ShortCircuit Sampler 1.1.2 utilizing 2 stereo outputs for the 2 mics
    Also includes a REAPER track template utilizing round robin that requires this JS script

These samples are provided as-is, with no guarantee.
    You are free to use these samples for your own works, including commercial.
    You are not allowed to sell these samples for money.
    If you want to redistribute them, please contact me first. A shoutout for works using them is also greatly appreciated.

Sound Demo:
    http://soundcloud.com/subtersonic/remo-doumbek-sample-pack-demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6d4ZEcblPA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOME:
    http://subtersonic.weebly.com/1/post/2013/07/7-30-2013-free-sample-pack-remo-doumbek.html

Alternative Dropbox by Xsze

3. awake

awake Member

File Blocked for Violation.

4. oska

oska Noisemaker

Instead of clicking on the link, right click & copy link address. Then open a new tab & paste the link copied. Et Voila!

5. beatroot

beatroot Producer

Okay here!Downloaded all three files....this one and the other two posts.No problem!!
    :wink: