Subjects for lyrics

Discussion in 'Education' started by art.movement.style, Aug 3, 2018.

1. .

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2018
  2. G String

G String Rock Star

I did. Well, sort of.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. It is not finished and will add more harmonies, some percussion and guitar lines as well as redoing the main vocal, but I wrote this in the days following 9-11. As I said, it is more a reflection.

4. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

Good to see you Clouseau. Its been a while

:wink: Thanks for that @Pinkman

5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Pop music is pandering music to people who don't care about music, really. People make it because they want money and fame. There's nothing more to it. I'm as interested in making pop music as eating dog shit from the pavement.

6. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Regarding pop music nowadays I tend to agree. The poorer the lyrics the higher on the charts, it seems to be the dominant rule. Collaborative writing, methods and essays about lyrics writting...and yet whether we're talking about themes, the vocabulary or the poetry, it's desperatly bad on all aspects.
    But pop music in the 60s or the 70s, even top of the charts ? You can hate or love the Beattles or the Doors, or Dylan melody or genre as much as you want, but the writting was still there back then. Same with "political" or "conscious" genres in the 80s or so, less poetry indeed but the content was still there in many genres.
    Today the popular songs in the pop music genres in general are usually poor on the lyrics side of thing. That's for the most popular songs/artists, top of the chart etc. Still plenty of artists not well known (at least in France we have plenty) that have poetry, good lyrics, contents, etc.
    As long as you don't expect that from the eurovision contest you can still find that today, we got plenty of people with good lyrics even here on AS !

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I posted that comment after watching a short doco about K-Pop on "Nietflix" yesterday. Those "bands" are like "Take That", male or female version of it, but 5 times worse, as in *taking that* in every orifice in your body, but brain in particular. Everything about it is just marketing, psychology, show/circus, making money. :sad:

There's bad shit written at every point on the timeline of human society, but it's becoming just a tad too ridiculous IMHO. However, great mind-provoking stuff is being written all the time, too. It is just harder to find it, especially on mass media channels, for the aforementioned reasons. Money-entertainment-circus-money. It's being engraved into every pore of our society, especially in the last decade or so.

But I also understand one thing... people like to be entertained, and music is considered entertainment. Writing songs about something that matters, to pass the message to the people Dylan style, could have been just a fad that happened in the 60-70-80s. [?] It was triggered by people opening their minds, usually with drugs [which I don't consider a bad thing], and tumultuous times, e.g. Vietnam war.