StudioLive AR vs Yamaha MG with Studio One?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by EddieXx, Jan 14, 2022.

1. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

Hi there,

im getting a mixer (12 or 16 ch). either a StudioLive AR (https://www.presonus.com/press/press-releases/StudioLive-ARc) or a Yamaha MG (https://www.yamaha.com/en/about/design/synapses/id_066) because i got tired of connecting stuff back and forth.

just curious to hear from anyone here of your experience using any of these mixers with Studio One but also in general. i wonder if there is any real advantage in using the Presonus one instead of the Yamaha or any other thoughts

im sure at least someone either has one or knows a bit about these models.

cheers!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I have the AR8 and like it well enough so far.
    I have been unable to test it as i wanted for portable recording.
    I've done tests with that at home and it seems to work great.
    No driver issues.
    The knobs I do not like much, being used to a Mackie 1202, but they may hold up well..only time will tell.
    I'll be very interested in seeing a comparison of these 2 though.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

One MG16XU owner wrote this in an otherwise positive review: "The USB recording feature is a nice extra to capture performances, but do not buy this if your primary intention is to record audio.". rough.

I'd lean towards the Presonus anyway; it will have been tested more with the DAW. But, do you want this thing to become your audio interface? What kind do you already have?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  5. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

Not really, I have a studio68 Presonus connected to my stationary desktop. primarily it’s to not have to always boot my desktop to use my monitors and to not have to keep always connecting and disconnecting stuff from my audio interface. Tired of pulling cables across.

Anything else will be a bonus, but sure multitracking is great. So I’m leaning towards the presonus too hehe.

I think they should offer more stereo inputs rather than mono, feels like many look for a way to incorporate stereo sources/gadgets and need very few mono channels, that’s my case at least.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

if all you want is to not boot your laptop and have active monitors, you might be able to just use a Mackie Big Knob and save a few hundred bucks on a mixer. To avoid cable pulling, a patchbay is always the way to go for that. They are low tech, cheap, and never break anyway.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

been a while and hadnt had the time to sit down and decide yet.

but, no its not only that of not wanting to power up my pc to get my interface running, but mostly to be able to get sound from all of my gadgets with just one click (power), its nice to to just switch on and have all inputs on its own channel and fader and monitors ready to go. at the same time connecting my monitors to the mixer will mean they wont be attached to my audio interface...

still i guess im getting closer to a mixer in my mind. but maybe i should get some super cheap second hand mixer with enough channels and really investigate how that helps me or what i would miss, then reselling it and getting something more "advanced" if needed? that way i get the money back and invest right

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

What do you want to record ? Do you play instruments and sing?