Studio One V3 problems

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by HoA, Aug 21, 2015.

1. HoA

HoA Noisemaker

Hi all, first post on audiosex. I usually manage to rectify any issues I have by wading through this forum or reading comments on Audioz....however, this problem has stopped me in my tracks.

I was using cubase elements 7. The last song I created I ran into an issue whereby I was not able to load new instruments. Some such as sylenth, spire would work but most not. I was also unable to add effects.

I decided it was a good time to switch to Studio One 3. Half way through a song the same problem occurred. I could add multiple sylenths, spire but most other instruments just would not load. If I removed an existing instrument I was then able to load an instrument that wasn't loading. I have tried fault finding by eliminating instruments, effects etc but to no avail.

The crazy thing is, when I create a new song, without recording anything, I am able to load unlimited instruments/effects. I had over 30 tracks with no issues.

My setup is win 7 64, roland quadcapture, impulse 49 with automap. song setup is EDM, with audio recordings of vox, guitar and the rest is vst plugin instruments.

I am guilty of installing new plugins as they become availlable and all I can think is that one day I installed something that has stuffed my system up and has caused this problem. Is there a new plugin such as omnisphere 2, Dune 2 etc which has known issues......which may be causing this?

Has anybody else encountered this crazy problem......Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Regarding Cubase 7 Elements, i'm really surprised to hear someone to even have the balls to waste their time with that light stripped down Elements version of Cubase where there's no sidechain support or other thousands of limitations and misses.

Regarding S1v3, i'm still a bit confused about your problem. Can you provide an animated gif of the exact wrong behavior/problem of your DAW? How do they don't load? Does the VST instruments(instances) still show up in the instruments tab located in the left side of the mixer window?

4. HoA

HoA Noisemaker

Me persisting with Elements was simply due to being a long time cubase user, circa 1996. I got around sidechaining by using the Infected Mushroom's kick and bass solver for low end and occasionally using twisted lemon for other sidechaining.

Now the issue: During a recording session,(audio and midi tracks) at some point, I can insert an instrument track but I cannot insert a new instrument to that track. I cannot add a new instrument track by dragging and dropping either. The crazy thing is, I can with some instruments but mostly not. eg, sylenth and spire can be added but pretty much everything else not. The same issue happens with effects. Some can be added but most not.

This problem began with Elements and now has occurred in S1 V3 current update.

The instrument instances do not show up in the instruments tab.

Now, if I remove one of the existing instruments, eg, trillian, I can then add the instruments that I was unable to add before.

I have tried removing different combinations of effects and instruments from my song. After doing so I have been able to insert new instruments/effects but then the problem returns.

To describe how they don't load, if I drag and drop, I get the windows cursor circle but then zero happens, nothing appears....no matter which way I try to insert.

Could this be a graphics driver issue as I did update my GPU gt630.

My specs PC-wise are good. i7, 16 Gb ram.

BTW. thanks for the reply

5. statik

statik Audiosexual

sounds like a memory problem, how full is your ram when the instruments stop loading?

-edit: reading is hard when you've been awake for 10 minutes

6. HoA

HoA Noisemaker

hahaha....get those coffees pumping...

S1V3 is currently in this state of not being able to load all instruments and I have over 6Gb ram available.

7. virusg

virusg Rock Star

even after a program restart? ...to me sometimes on my old rig it does not load nothing thus i see the VST folders ...after a restart it okay

8. statik

statik Audiosexual

my first ideda was that it might be a memory issue but with 6gb still available this would seem strange

9. HoA

HoA Noisemaker

As far as restarts are concerned, I've tried all avenues. Close s1, reboot. Close s1 restart s1. Close s1 restar Roland quad capture.

Keep in mind too that this issue first started with the last song I made in cubase elements and has continued across to s1.

Cheers for all your replies too. Really appreciate it

10. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Stupid question: Are you using the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Studio One?

11. HoA

HoA Noisemaker

64 bit latest update. Also 64bit cubase elements prior to that

12. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

The problem it's probably a corrupted plugin wich caused the problem.

The hard solution would be format the OS and reinstall everything while giving attention to which plugin you are installing.

You can try moving plugins out the folder and then bring them back one by one as see what caused the problem.

Anyway you can try this and see if it helps atleast for Studio One

go here: C:\Users\*Your Name*\AppData\Roaming\PreSonus\Studio One 3\x64

and delete "vstplugins" and "vstblacklist"

and start again Studio One. This will force S1 to re-check your plugin.

13. HoA

HoA Noisemaker

Great suggestion. That's my next port of call. I'm really hoping I don't have to spring clean the o/s and start again....Cheers. Will try 1st thing in the morning.

14. Loop Threat

Loop Threat Ultrasonic

Do you have any form of anti-virus running?, on my machine I disable a bunch of junk as I use it as a tool and not a family computer (not that this is what you're doing)...sounds like a factory reset or image backup restore is pending (otherwise)

15. HoA

HoA Noisemaker

Microsoft sec essentials but real time disabled, no other. Yeh I'm edging towards full format and start again and just keep the plugins that I use. Hopefully I can fix before it gets to that

16. virusg

virusg Rock Star

try updating your os ...to me its not about audio card, seems more like a bad installed library like netframework, vcredist etc those things ...you could try this as your last move before a format ...its not a pleasure i guess

17. HoA

HoA Noisemaker

Unfortunately vst re scan didn't work. Trying o/s update now.

Is it possible that having more then one daw on this pc is causing issues? Before I only used S1 for mastering and used cubase elements for song creation and there was no problems. Now that I'm using S1 and using many plugins....could this be responsible?

18. Silver rain

Silver rain Noisemaker

As you said when you create a new song you have no problems with adding plugins like EQ or Vsti instruments for example, for me it means you do not have problems with Plugins or creating new song which is great. But bad news is you have a dameged song/file in Studio One(it could be cubase, Pro tools or other DAWs).
    And why we get this kind of problem is because of so many things like installing things, bad plugins, bad working Vsti, somthing went wrong with PC, soundcard crashing, you name it...
    My advice is just export midi and waves and Create A New Song and move on. You can try with older version of the song.
    This is what I know but it will not to be necessary right. I hope it can help you.

19. HoA

HoA Noisemaker

Hey thanks Silver for your advice. Your suggestion may be my last hope as I have tried everything else. I have racked my brain thinking about what I may have installed which caused this problem. 2 big vsti such as omnisphere 2 and Dune 2 being the latest. The biggest issue is the amount of time wasted trying to rectify this issue instead of creating, mixing etc.

20. HoA

HoA Noisemaker

Thanks for all your advice. As silver stated, it must be a corrupted song. I have a feeling that omnisphere 2 is the culprit.

I have successfully imported all midi and audio into a new song/folder. All plugins working beautifully. In a rather short amount of time, presonus studio one has won me over. It really is a damn fine and fun to use daw....and it sounds great. I kinda dig the dark interface as it sets the tracks off better. Cheers all