Studio One V3 Plugin Limit?

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by olivergrey, Feb 18, 2016.

1. olivergrey

olivergrey Member

Recently, during some larger mixing sessions, I've been running into the issue of trying to insert a VST effect and S1 waits a second, and then loads nothing. I can load any plugin that is CURRENTLY in the project, enabled or bypassed, but none new. The only way to work around this that I've found is to delete a plugin that only has 1 or 2 instances, not just taking off a single EQ while 30 others remain. It's a bit of a pain really, and I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue?

Running Windows 10, S1 V3.1.1,

3. megablox

megablox Ultrasonic

windows 10 is your problem

like the rest of everyone who had this exact issue in S1. And a bunch of other issues with other DAWS not even certified for W10 yet.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

I recommend using Windows 7 if the sole purpose is for music production/editing. However, the issue you speak of occurs with Win 7, 8, or any other platform. The reason: It pertains to RAM and not the OS. It doesn't pertain to the amount of plugins you have loaded in a session, although it is generally only going to occur once you do have many plugin instances loaded. The problem commonly has to do with RAM. And although S1's performance monitor shows the CPU usage you still have to refer to the windows task manager and see how much memory Studio One.exe has allocated. That is why when you mentioned removing a plugin in attempt to be able to add another it is not a 1 to 1 factor. If you remove a plugin which doesn't allocate much RAM you most likely won't be able to load and instance of something like Addictive Drums, or any instance of a Waves/shell plugin perhaps. You can test which of the plugins you have in the session acquire large amounts of your RAM by removing them one by one and seeing which one/s cause the Studio One.exe memory usage to lower a great deal. If you have a large percentage of RAM available when the problem occurs your graphic card memory is the problem. You can clear Windows icon cache, disable thumbnailing for videos/images, and keep your Desktop as empty as possible to help improve on the issue.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. olivergrey

olivergrey Member

@megablox I think your right, regarding Windows 10 and it being the source of quite a few other audio issues that I'm having (omnisphere 2 browser lag, memory leaks, serious iLok driver problems that fully crash machine, Asio dropouts and poor latency performance). I plan on upgrading to a much more powerful machine in the next couple of months, so I'll be installing Win 8 back on that one, or possibly 7. There are a few new additions to Win 10 that I actually do like, but the CPU performance and memory leaks are god awful. Looking forward to the clean install.

@dbmuzik See, that's what I initially thought. I restarted the machine, made sure nothing else was open and opened the same session, and I could add about 4 more plugins, and then the same thing. Restarting the DAW would sometimes make it even worse, to where it couldn't find VSTi plugins that I had already had open, and this, when I tried to reproduce it, was completely random. With 24 GB of ram, i7 3770k, 500gb SSD and a GTX 690 I wouldnt have initially suspected a problem with memory, but I'm open to any leads at this point.

Appreciate the responses! I'm going to do some more testing and see if it has anything to do with Nvidia drivers possibly...

6. badboy4life

badboy4life Ultrasonic

It's not a Win10 problem - the same thing happens with Studio One running in Win7 (both legit).

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Zentropy

Zentropy Kapellmeister

This recently started happening to me CONSTANTLY. I'm on Win7 64bit. I have both issues - not being able to add new plugins and S1 randomly telling me it can't find open plugins. I've done a bit of digging and found a bit of extra info. It'd be awesome if you other guys could do these checks too, so we can compare.

1) Check your log file after either happens to you. It's in /Users/<Username>/AppData/Roaming/PreSonus/Studio One3/Studio One.log. In particular, look to see if you have this line "[Warning] (Studio One): Huge parameter list in generic editor!" I have a strong suspicion this is the cause. I'm not 100% sure, but I've written enough VST code to have a pretty good idea of what's happening - When you add a plugin to a DAW, the DAW's in charge of registering that plugin's automatable parameters. The VST Spec mandates how a plugin has to give that information to the host, but it doesn't demand the host handle that info in any particular way.

I am betting S1 behind the scenes is compiling a MASSIVE data structure holding every single possible automation parameter for every plugin rather than just maintaining reference info until a particular parameter is actually automated. If it is, it's possible that said list can eventually "fill up" depending on how the code manages it. This would explain why the bug doesn't happen until you have quite a few plugin instances and also happens once you do regardless of how much RAM your system has. If this is right, it's kinda gross and means there's nothing we can do to work around the problem until Presonus fixes it.

2) Are you guys all using Optimus by chance? I know it causes a gnarly flickering graphics bug in S1 that you have to fix via forcing S1 to run on the integrated graphics chip. Not sure why it would cause this, but I suppose it could be somehow.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

S1 3 PRO,unlimited in every way,except in number of tracks,midi channels and vst plugins.
    Buy the Unlimited upgrade now,only 99.99$ and you can finally unlock pro to max potential,multi cpu support not included,for that you have to buy the Unlock upgrade,only 99.99$.

9. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

nope, it happens on 7 as well.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  10. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

That's why v3 is shit, deal with it.

11. olivergrey

olivergrey Member

Because of this issue and quite a few others I've tried switching to other DAW's (Cubase 8, Reaper, Samplitude, Pro Tools) but just can't seem to get around the slowed down workflow. Granted, once these problems come up I find myself spending hours trying to figure out the cause, so in theory that could balance out. And even then, all of those DAWs have their own issues.

12. real

real Kapellmeister

Shit. A DAW Basher/hater. Already.
    *Rolls Eyes*

Here we go again...

13. luki3

luki3 Member

Windows 7's just fine for audio I don't know why people want to upgrade to 8, 10. just because it looks nice, the only thing you got to care about that looks nice is your woman.

14. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

i said that v3 sucks, wich is true. Tons of bugs and crash, while v2 is stable. Shut up little kid before random sentence.

15. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Using (rarely) SO3 Pro 3.1.1 - as "90-day trial" but it's scary to read these comments (here, and from other topics). :bow:

16. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Join the Reaper Army:disco:
    You wont regret:wink:

17. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Studio One V3 Plugin Limit? IMO, appropriate question might be... Studio One V3 Limit? :hahaha:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  18. Baila Tosco

Baila Tosco Member

For the guys that own a legitimate Studio One v3: please go to the official forum and complain about this matter.. Presonus gotta stop selling smoke and fix this shit right away.

19. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

x64 or x86? the only limit comes because of the RAM.

20. Baila Tosco

Baila Tosco Member

How's that? Do you mean it's a lack of RAM on the users machine? or because of how Studio One's manages memory?
    Never used the x86 version.
    It's happening to me on x64, 16gb of RAM. Studio One is using aprox. 4gb.

21. eboe

eboe Producer

Many S1 users are talking about a memory handling bug in S1, particularly in larger projects. Presonus are aware of this and says to working with a solution ... I myself have suffered this many times and were then forced to bounce my Guitars / bass track with amplitude and remove the CPU heavy fx (amplitude) from my insert FX , which helped.
    Nowdays, I work smarter with subgroups with my plugs. For example, 2-3 subgroups guitar, 1 bass, 2-3 key , 2-3 drums, 2-3 wox , 1 pre master and 1-2 subgroups just for fun ;)
    Of course it's totally up to what project I'm working on but about so and absolutely minimal vst fx on the "usual channels" ... maybe just a little eq and easier comp. Anyway, I do not see this as a limitation in my workflow since I have become more efficient and faster when I work with clients ;) and above all, I will not have to deal with a tough S1 ;)

I like S1 workflow and will not want to change daw again ...