Studio One crackling/stuttering (not buffer issue)

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by absinthe, Sep 25, 2015.

1. absinthe

absinthe Newbie

So, I've always had this problem with S1 since I started using it at version 2. WHENEVER opening a project or new song for the first time , there is a terrible crackle/stutter that remains UNTIL I change the audio device or the buffer size.

The problem is not the usual buffer size/latency issue though, because the 'static' will go away after changing a setting then turning it back to its original value. For example, If I have the buffer at 4ms and move it to 8ms (or whatever random setting) then change it BACK to 4ms it will work as it should.

I've had this problem with studio one since version 2. NEVER encountered anything similar to this with any other program, ableton, reason, flstudio, reaper, cubase, bitwig. Tried the usual reinstalling drivers and messed with various options in studio one but can not find a permanent fix for this.

Has anyone else experienced this or have a solution?? Thank you for any help!

3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Are you running anything else at the time? What interface?

4. n12n0

n12n0 Kapellmeister

well known issue in official forums. (1st recognized related to scratch pad)

try to uncheck "Enable Midi Timecode" on any external device.

try again, maybe this will fix it for you. for most users it did it. :winker:

several tickets are beeing send to presonus already. i think we can expect a generall fix in next release candidate.

cheers

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

Well there you go! That sounds like a well intended and knowledgable response!

6. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

what is your sound card?

to me that sounds like a poorly written/optimized and shitty performing ASIO driver by your sound card manufacturer and if that asio driver was properly written , you definitely shouldn't be encountering such an annoyance.

since i got an RME 9632 Hammerfall PCI (in 2006) i have never ever considered to change the sound card...

i'am able to change the buffer size/latency settings 'on the fly' while having a huge session open (with a ton of VST plugins) and that in real time in S1 (v2, or v3) without any undesirable consequences like that and i have never ever experienced any similar issues you have described. :woot:

this "Enable Midi Timecode" tip is something to remember (in case of...) certainly, but..

i usually let the buffer size on 256 when i record a live instrument (bass or guitar), then as further i progress in my session, i let it 'breathe' by changing to 512 or 1024.. , and the change happens smoothly.

ps: if your sound card is an RME , i would gladly step forward and give you my face to be hit with a stone :yes:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015