Studio One CPU fix?

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by metaller, Mar 1, 2018.

1. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

When I use multi plugins on my mix bus the CPU hits 100, and it crackles, however, I have set my asio4all buffer to 2048.
    I wonder if there is any fix for this. In Cubase, asio guard existed.
    Is the CPU usage of a chainer plugin inside the Studio One same as chaining plugins directly in the studio one?

3. TW

TW Guest

I dont know why a " chainer plugin" should change the cpu usage. Simply try it.

4. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

5. loCurnus

loCurnus Ultrasonic

what hardware specs do you have? normally you overload a bus with too many plugins, can you post a screenshot etc...

6. TW

TW Guest

But this post is 1 year old. Since than S1 got the engine update, If I am not mistaken. You probably simply got to many vsts on your tracks & buses for your system. People do not like to hear it but s1 is not really resource friendly. On my system at least compared to the other daws i use.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

Same here:

From S1 many versions ago uptil now, latest version, S1 was a total CPU monster for me, total b*llshit performance on my macbook 2015 retina.
    I totally trashed S1.
    Now happy DAW-ing with Reaper, awesome cpu friendly (at least for me).

Warm Regards.

8. This was fixed in one of 3.3.x versions. The problem was that all VST plugs were running on a single core however many cores were available. It has been most definitely fixed.

9. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Performance Monitor .png

I used my Sony Vaio laptop with Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @2.30GHz with onboard soundcard. I know my CPU is not a powerful brand new CPU. If I use my external audio interface will there be any difference?

10. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Yes, I used so many, but as you see in the above list, three or four of them fill up the CPU.:deep_facepalm: For example, If I switch off the waves Scheps Parallel Particle, the problem will be fixed. Beside that, I removed my Reverb send to save some CPU!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  11. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

I am aware about the latest fix.
    I run that latest version.
    For me, still horrible performance, no real difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. mrfloyd

mrfloyd Producer

If I were you, as a workaround, I'd remove just Ozone 8, render stereo and master it in a separate project with Ozone and other plugs.
    I guess w/o Ozone everything will be fine with your project and you could probably get it going with much lower buffer setting.

13. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

I did this but for all of my Mix bus plugins, but that is not my desired workaround. I like top-down mixing method, starting from the Mix Bus. However, thanks for the tip, I may use another light limiter instead, and use Ozone later for mastering. :wink:

14. turbo

turbo Ultrasonic

Same thing to me. Great DAW but a CPU hog

15. I'm running 16 threads under Win10. They are most definitely all being used, and I can throw a Hoover Dam's worth of VST at Studio One. Even Accustica's Nebula 4. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

You may some other problem. You may not. Take it up with PreSonus. The support is excellent and fast.

• List
  16. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

Thanks for your response.
    But you are on W10.
    I am on OSX.
    Can be completely different ballgames regarding DAW performance.
    But i am fine with it, as said : trashed S1 and very happy with Reaper's outstanding performance.:wink:

17. muffball

muffball Kapellmeister

It has been hoggy and still needs tweaking but they certainly seem capable. When they added their "zero latency" there was an audio engine overhaul. I think that was version 3.5+. The difference is night and day. Free update. If they're capable of that plus all the other incredible features that just keep coming so fast for the relative newcomer I'm excited for the future.

Hence I'm sticking with it. I have a bit of a beasty setup though and I'm currently running a 88 track (that's after some mixdowns) with god knows how many layers, 30 minute "song" (don't ask) without problem apart from a lengthy load time.

You certainly do notice when it struggles though - when you create tracks with multiple heavy VSTs like, say, Guitar Rig. Automating inserts with bypass (which is the only way you can automate on/off easily in Studio One) doesn't stop them using CPU as though they were on. I think enabling an easier fix for this would go a long way to reducing the CPU impact since some plugs (like Guit Rig) can chew quite a bit of CPU sitting on a track even whilst having no input. Bouncing ain't the answer and manually on/offing, whilst quick, can get you lost in a complex project.

I can't recall if this behaviour is present in other DAWs and I only have one other on this system at the moment with no real project to fire up and try out.

18. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Try: Copy your project, and recreate your FX from scratch using ONLY essential VSTi & STOCK FX. 3d pty VSTs may have CPU glitches. I really doubt everything in your chain is a necessity.

ofc not. Nothing in this world is free.

• List
  19. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Same here, I have fallen in love with the Studio One, and can't leave it at all.

Tnx for your opinion, but I do not want to sacrifice my mix because of the CPU. I have come up with a workaround to disable the subtle ones or replace them with a lighter one for the real-time mixing, but definitely, I will enable them later for the mixdown and mastering.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  20. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Have you tried to chose in Options menu,Drop out Protection from maximum to minimum ? Because I saw the Maximum option,like you have on your screen shot,eats a lot of cpu.

• List
  21. Blue

Blue Audiosexual