Studio One Console Shaper and Gain Staging

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by lampwiikk, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Groove3

Groove3 Newbie

haha...it wasn't like that. He had a different audio render from multiple takes.
    But yes, someone had to be made to come correct

2. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Is the field bleed (stereo / panning) explained anywhere? Delays? Reverbs? One major thing I noticed when turning it on is that, as mentioned above, it seems to make the track narrower. At first, I thought that maybe I confused some elements as more centered because they came more forward but then I thought it mainly sounded more mono-ish. Do mono tracks crossing with stereo tracks become wider and vice-versa? The Crossover seems to be the culprit (had it at 3 o'clock :D). I still wonder how it handles that though.

Need to test it more and read up on it.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. HoangMyTr

HoangMyTr Ultrasonic

It seems to me that Presonus native VU meter's speed is a little different than the others. How can you guy setup sensitivity knob to match other VU meter (~300ms raise time)?

Thanks!

4. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

I wouldn't recommend to use crosstalk in the master bus at all. It will make the left and right channels bleed into each other, and, depending on how much crosstalk you apply, it will be truly detrimental to your stereo image.

Crosstalk isn't something you use like that...In fact, good consoles have little to none perceivable crosstalk.

If you want to use it, use it only on bus channels, and use it very very carefully. Most of the times it will do more harm than good.

5. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

6. eboe

eboe Producer

Sorry, not bad spelling but wrong link ;)

7. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

Hm, yeah, it's probably just me not using it properly. I haven't wrapped my head around it completely... Although I guess you could have issues even on bus groups depending on your positioning/panning/fx/instruments... I tend to confuse it with saturation and spatial positioning/room simulation/mic bleeding despite knowing that it's not exactly that, although it can sound like it. FX come after it but it still applies if you use wet/positioned/panned sounds to begin with. Brain games. xD

8. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

The idea is to use crosstalk sparingly although, you could go to extremes. Same with noise.

Badly designed consoles (mostly early ones) have more crosstalk and got better over the decades.
    Same with outboard gear. If you have stereos from the 1970 or 80's, you will hear what I mean.
    Some are better than others.

My old Rotel is very quite but I can hear the radio faintly when in tape monitor mode with no other audio giong.
    To avoid this, I have to switch the source selector to an aux.

Maybe one of the MixFX to come will has the ability to control how much channel bleed or a total mute.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List