Studio One 5.5.2 R2R Lag Issue Win11

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by WIMA, Sep 15, 2022.

1. WIMA

WIMA Platinum Record

Hello friends.
    How are you? Hope all is well. :bow:

Alright, straight to the point.
    I installed Windows 11 around May 2022 and update regularly.
    And at that time I also installed Studio One 5.5.2 from the sister site. All works like on my old Windows 7 (with 4.6.2 version).

Since then there have been no problems until last night I drew the instrument and there was a lag.
    So when I click to draw a virtual instrument on the piano roll, there is a delay at the point I wanted to create.

Then I try to do playback on the whole project.
    There is no stuttering, lag, and delay in the sound. But I found there are 2 things that are strange.

1. The line that moves when I play back sometimes becomes late and lags. Like this :

I made this project on my SSD.

2. When the lag happens, everything I do on this DAW gets late or delayed.

I've tried running the project from the hard drive but the result is still the same.
    I tried different projects but still the same.
    Even I tried to create a blank project like in the video above, but the lag still occurs.

I've changed the Device Block Size, the result is still the same. From 128 to 1024.
    I've changed the Dropout Protection, the result is still the same. Previously it was in the "Minimum" setting.
    "Enable High DPI Mode Scaling 100%" I never change.
    I have tried to change the "Process Precision Double (64 bit)" to Single (32 bit), but the result is still the same.

Finally I did a clean uninstall, restart, and reinstall this Studio One, but the problem is still the same.

And basically I never changed any settings until in the end this lag problem appeared.
    The last thing I did before this problem appeared was to back up the Windows 11 System Restore and delete the old one. Just that. I didn't install anything after that.

When opening the project, this lag occurs. Even though 2 days ago it was still fine. Even I recently was still working on this without any issues.

I tried opening another DAW, be it Cubase or Nuendo from R2R but no lag issues like this. This problem only occurs in Studio One.

I'm using a system I've only been using since May 2022.
    Processor : i3-12100f
    Motherboard : Asrock B660 Steel Legend
    RAM : Corsair 16GB 3200MHz
    SSD : NVME V-Gen 512 GB
    Windows 11 Pro 21H2 64-bit

Still using the RX 6500 XT with Radeon GPU Driver Adrenalin Edition Version 22.5.1.
    I didn't update this driver because this problem only happened to one DAW. In addition, the latest version of the driver is still at risk of bugs after I read the "Known Issues".

Anyway... Anyone know what's up with this DAW?
    Any solution please?
    I googled and found that there were some who had the same problem as me on the Presonus forums but the solution was to switch from version 4 to version 5 and then the problem was solved.

Thanks in advance for your time and attention.
    Wish a wonderful day to all of you guys... :bow:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You use the following links to optimize your computer for music production.

0.) Don't let audio glitches ruin your performances! www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/
    1.) The Ultimate Guide to Optimize your Windows PC for the Stage
    https://gigperformer.com/docs/ultimate-guide-to-optimize-windows-for-stage/index.html
    2.) LatencyMon 7.20
    The LatencyMon software analyzes and identifies which device, which driver or which service is causing audio dropouts or malfunctions. Real-time audio suitability checker for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/2016/2012/2008 (x86 and x64)
    Scroll Down to: System Monitoring Tools www.resplendence.com/downloads
    3.) Windows Tuning Tips for Audio Processing
    https://support.native-instruments....1729-Windows-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing
    4.) PreSonus - Optimizing Your Computer for Audio - Windows 10
    https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-...Optimizing-Your-Computer-for-Audio-Windows-10
    5.) Ableton - Optimizing Windows for Audio
    https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209071469-Optimizing-Windows-for-Audio
    6.) FL Studio - Optimizing FL Studio performance
    www.image-line.com/fl-studio-learning/fl-studio-online-manual/html/app_opt.htm
    7.) Steinberg - Windows: How to set-up and optimize a Digital Audio Workstation
    https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/...t-up-and-optimize-a-Digital-Audio-Workstation
    8.) Focusrite - Optimising your PC for Audio on Windows 10
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice Ultrasonic

Best Answer
    I have the same "stuttercursor" . Mentioned in this thread :

https://audiosex.pro/threads/presonus-studio-one-version-5-2-update-march-9-2021.58187/

" Presonus Studio One Version 5.2 Update (March 9, 2021) "

Everything else works flawless. No audio stutter.
    Also the 4.6 Studio One version had no cursor stutter. Could not find a solution , it´s probably not HD related ( loading of samples etc..)
    because it happens already with empty song. I think it´s Graphics related ..somehow. Or maybe chipsetdriver.
    The stutter started with SO 5.5.1.
    So I do think it´s a Studio One bug, - in relation with certain hardware. (gtx 1050 ), but i could be wrong.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. boomoperators

boomoperators Kapellmeister

6. WIMA

WIMA Platinum Record

Hello BEAT16, thanks for providing a lot of useful info :bow:. Maybe I'll dig in again tonight.
    Actually, at point number 8 I did it at the beginning before installing Studio One version 5.5.2 and as I said in the initial post that the graphics and audio system was running well until last night suddenly the cursor/graphic lag occurred but the audio was still running normal without glitches.

And after I read all the posts from Beetlejuice :
    Looks like I'm going through the same thing as you. It's just that I experienced it like "late" :deep_facepalm:

That's right, I experienced it too... :yes::yes::yes:

It seems from what I've read that legit users also experience it and there is no solution for non-legit users other than returning to version 5.0.1. I'll try to install that version later tonight and post the results here...
    Thank you for the information, Beetlejuice :bow:

Thanks for the useful link, boomoperators :bow:

Right, I will heed your suggestion, thank you :bow:

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Often it is the graphics cards or the interaction with Windows updates and graphics card drivers. Some graphics card manufacturers repair something and with the next Windows update, Windows breaks it again, this happened with Softube with Open GL, sometimes it is also a bad layout of the board, i.e. from the graphics card manufacturer itself.

Windows likes to make forced updates and that is why it is difficult to find the fault, so I would advise you to use your PC for music pro-grams first.Also set the CStats correctly in the BIOS. It's all in the PDFs that I've attached as a collection of links.
    It's a lot of work, but this way we can narrow down the problem.

What graphics card do you have?

8. ThorntonQ

ThorntonQ Producer

What's more worrying is since Fender purchased Presonus there hasn't been any updates for S1. So, issues as this may or may not ever be fixed! Remember when Gibson purchased Sonar? Is this the end of S1?

• List
  9. WIMA

WIMA Platinum Record

I think you right

Make sense

Right, roger that... Thank you :wink:

If I may repeat, this problem only occurs in Studio One.
    Nuendo and Cubase I installed had no such problem at all.
    But I will try to follow your advice by reading that pdf, thank you. :bow:

I have MSi AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT
    https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/Radeon-RX-6500-XT-MECH-2X-4G-OC

:woot::woot::woot:

10. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I also installed Studio but have no problems.
    You're welcome, then see you later.

11. WIMA

WIMA Platinum Record

I'm back and want to confirm the problem was fixed when installing version 5.0.1 last night.
    There is no graphics lag or stuttering on the cursor, the audio is also running normally this morning. :disco:

Thank you to friends here who have helped me and provided very useful advice and information. :mates:

Always healthy for all of us.
    Wish a wonderful day to all... :bow:

See you
    :shalom:

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice Ultrasonic

Now that´s a Statement -glad it fixed it for you.
    Now we know that there may appear a "stuttercursor" from higher versions than 5.0.1 on certain hardware.
    and now I am more and more certain , that it has to do with the StudioOne program ... instead of individual hardware.
    That said with all respect to Beat16´s to-do list !

I suspected the added "pre-record" function in SO , wich was added around those realeses.
    But there was no difference when switch on or off. Playhead-stutter remains.
    Some day , someone will fix it. Maybe next update.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. ThorntonQ

ThorntonQ Producer

[QUOTE="Some day , someone will fix it. Maybe next update.[/QUOTE]

Since Fender purchased Presonus back in spring, there has been no updates to S1. Let's hope that's not how the story ends.

• List